It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phone interference oddity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Howdy all,

I have real strong interference with speakers and such when my phone rings.
Typically it is the same repeating morse code like pattern each time as many have experienced.

Here's what's odd, I use my phone as an additional alarm clock and therefore place it into the same position each night. Usually after about 2-3 minutes of it being plugged it'll make an audible sound through another alarm clocks speakers that are in the room, and that's it.

But...I have noticed that depending on the content of my phone being changed..pictures,video,music, etc... The sound will change. I can make no changes for a week and get the same tone each night and then if anything is added it will change the tone that very night and remain the same nightly again until new content has been added or altered.

My question is why would the sound change depending on the content of my memory card? The memory card is separate memory storage than the phone as far as I understand. It would seem that whatever my phone is linking to is including the memory cards data which I would not have expected.

Just curious, thought you smart people could give me an answer.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Wow, thats quite the question.

The fact that it interferes with audio equipment when it rings is nothing unexpected. The carrier wave utilized during an incoming call is notorious for interfering with allot of stuff, with audio equipment the difference is you get to hear that interference.

However, it makes little to no sense why that audible interference should change depending on what "picture" you happen to have on the phone.

The signal sent to and from cellphones is supposed to be 1: The id of the phone, SIM, Number, etc. 2: Status. (Off hook, on hook.) 3: The audio to and from the phone.

In no way is what's on your phones screen or memory card supposed to affect the signal...

... unless for some reason thats being transmitted?!
I should hope not, that would be a waste of bandwidth, and utterly useless.

Anyone here work on or with cell networks?

[edit on 9-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Its called a "digital Handshake" between your phone and the phone company. There are alot of posts on this subject already. Do a simple search and you will come up with them. The sounds you here range in power settings from the phone, if you are further from a repeater or tower your phone needs to set out stronger signal to "Handshake" it.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yes, but it's not the amplitude of the handshake he's talking about. It's the signal itself.

And he clearly hasn't adjusted his distance from the cell towers, as he stated he keeps the phone on his night stand.

The tone changes with the content stored on it.

Thats the part that doesn't make sense.

The other factors that affect the "handshake" have been accounted for, there still exists an anomaly.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mcgilligan02

I have heard of that, however the place that the phone is docked each night does not change so I didn't think that would affect me in this way. I could imagine a busy network bouncing me to a different relay station sometimes, but that wouldn't explain the timing.

Plus, why would the signal change dependent of the data on the phone's memory card? But not for the duration preceding a change.
I have to believe it is more than coincidence that the differences in sound only appear after a change.

I have been paying attention to this for some time now, I've left my phone unchanged, only calls for more than 2 weeks and the very night that I went out and took a bunch of pictures it sure enough produced a different tranmsmitted tone.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You know from re-reading the OP's original post it seems like your phone is almost bugged from someone. or something. Clearly when you change content on your phone you have more of the activity going on, that indicates to me that someone or something is "sniffing" your phone and taking note what has changed on it recently.
This kind of reminds me of a form of advertising catering to what you like, or a personal advertising catering to you, kind of like it senses what you like and tries to feel out what your future purchasing could be. This is just my 2 cents though.
Who knows what it could be?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I am suspecting that some illegal listening is possibly going on. I have tried replacing my phone with my wife's phone which is on the same account, is the same model, and was purchased at the same time with consecutive phone numbers. No noise.

The only difference is that mine is transmitting something apparently.?

I figured that it would be explained easily and get squashed to nothing around here, but now I wonder if there is really something to it.

Ya freeekin me out man....

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Is your phone´s bluetooth function switched on? If so, turn it off.
It could be that someone has ´bluejacked´ your phone. It is possible with some special java software to hack into someone elses phone using the bluetooth protocol. Once they have ´paired´ with your handset they can read all your messages, view and delete all files, make changes to the phone´s setup, and worst of all - they can send text messages and make phone calls from their own phone using your phone´s account and transmission.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Thanks for the tip, is for sure a thing to confirm the settings.
I am aware of the ease of hacking bluetooth and as such do not use it. I never have had it enabled on any of my phones after an interesting demonstration was shown to me on the fun that can be had when you leave the IR setting on.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yes, the signal interference from cell phones is so common, that the video game "Grand Theft Auto IV" even included it in the game any time someone calls the fake cell phone. It actually makes you think you are getting a real cell phone call when you are playing the game, yet the in-game cell phone rings instead. It's funny.

I have a question though regarding your question. When you tested your phone did you make sure that you had the same battery life? Maybe for some reason the signal changes according to the battery life you have on the phone. For instance if you have a fully charged battery that shows 5 bars compared to an almost dead battery that shows 1 bar?

The signal could possibly be a different format depending on battery life.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Ya know I heard that about GTAIV too....weird.

As far as battery juice, I almost never dip below the full bar and if I do it's only by one notch outta 5. This phone has the most amazing battery life I have ever seen. Oh, guess I coulda mentioned that it's a Sony Ericsson W810i and I use at&t. But, have not specifically checked the bar reading, however with it's weekly ups and downs of power levels nothing changes. The very day that I use it for anything other than calls or texts it'll change it signal. I suppose that could explain a little bit less juice, but with the reading staying at the full mark I figure same same.?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

I would test it with the battery charger plugged into the phone and power outlet, and wait till the charge is complete. Then I would make calls to the cell phone while it is plugged in, to test if it changes still. Then I would change the pictures and memory or whatever while it is plugged in, and note the difference.

Then I would repeat that with it unplugged from the charger.

In the end, I wouldn't worry because I'm quite sure the government can hire people to download everything off of your phone. Wirelessly tap into your phone calls, and even look through any cameras and hear through any microphones that exist on the phone. And triangulate your position even when your phone is not in use, but powered on.

As an ex-hacker, all those things are possible with computers. So I don't see why it would be any different on a phone.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You should hear my 3G blackjack2.
HORRIBLE interference when it's near anything. It makes monitors roll, tv's flicker, LOUD noises from any speakers.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Sounds good, I'll give it a try.

I know about most of the surveillance technology out there as that's a lot of what I do. So I always assume I'm being monitored, as it appears, I probably am.

I'll tell ya though. I found a new one to me.

At kinkos copy places, the scanners, printers, copiers, and faxes which may or may not be on the same unit these days records the data put through it onto retrievable memory that can be gotten at the request of police.

Kinda freaky, but kinda logical too I guess.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Is it possible that when you download music, pictures, etc, you also download ring tones with an "automatic download" setting?

new topics

top topics

join