It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great white shark seven-metre long 'in lake'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

I too use to paddle down the channel to surf at North or South Entrance beach, use to snorkel the channel, prawn with waders etc.

Do you remember the huge Ray that frequented the boatsheds near the
bridge? Some idiot with a spear gunBut the pair were reluctant to tell their story yesterday, as they are facing hefty fines over the accidental catch of a protected species. Any great white caught must be reported to the State Government killed that when I was about 12.

anyway back to the thread.

I have to say even though I'm addicted to news, I had not heard of the story you posted.

The bit I found interesting was this...

"But the pair were reluctant to tell their story yesterday, as they are facing hefty fines over the accidental catch of a protected species. Any great white caught must be reported to the State Government""

Accidental...as in not malicious or pre-meditated....how could they possibly
be prosecuted?

Australia "nets" its beaches..I'll explain for the non-locals....
Miles long nets are stretched near popular swimming beaches.. think popular Bondi Beach. Feeding sharks chasing schooled fish , say mullet,
tend to be caught in these nets, and , immobilised, drown.

There are no prosecutions for any endangered species caught in these nets.
So I see no reason at all these fisherman feared prosecution.

And , again, no photos.

I will be taking my boat out today on the lake to take the boys for a run ( school holidays) so Ill ask around.

Bet your all jealous.

Cheers

Mungo

Edit for spelling

[edit on 12/7/2008 by mungodave]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
i have a holiday house on tuggerah lake, right beside toukley.

there have been times ive been swimming in the lake and the water has been much deeper than myself. i am 5'9" and i never ever swim out to far as i don't like deep water.
one person said that the water is clear? no way! it is in many parts a muddy brown colour and is definately not clear. if you were swimming you wouldn't be able to see your foot.
i've also taken many trips over to the entrance and although the channel into tuggerah lake is quite shallow, there have been times when it has been quite deep where you definately cannot see the bottom. it all depends on the tides.

as much as i would like to believe this story is not true, because i now do not intend to swim in that lake ever again, it is perfectly probable that it could be.

besides, the guy who spotted it is an elderly man who has been fishing in those waters for many years. he's not even talking to the media, so what's the point in lying?!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
My point about the depth is simply this.

Planes fly up and down the coastline is spotting sharks to protect swimmers.

In this image you will see the whole lake system, and the ocean.

How easy would it be to spot a 7 metre shark in the lake system?

The following is Canton beach where this shark is supposed to have been netted ( and where the previous anon poster has his holiday house.. nice part of the world IMO)

Cheers

Mungo

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
One thing that I am skeptic about is the lack of a picture.

Even the most simple fisherman like to show off their catch.

I'm not saying it happened and I'm not saying it didn't, but I will say that having been on the recieving end of a fight with a large shark while out fishing in my boat... the last thing you have time for is to think about taking photos.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm just kinda surprised no ones noticed the shark up until the point it got caught, I mean, the great's a pretty gnarly shark. It had to have had something to eat, or chased something to eat into the area.
Reminds me of Bill Engval's joke about the bid 'ole Python they found here in Florida:
"Honey, have you seen the dog?"
"... Honey?"
But yeah, were are spastic new reports about this? The media loves to push new fears on the public.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I thought this was funny. First sharks are in lakes. Now they are turning up in swimming pools.

Sydney - A shark was found in a swimming pool at one of Sydney's most popular beaches on Friday, apparently swept into the baths by a freak wave.

The one-metre shark turned up in a rock pool situated next to the open ocean at Cronulla beach.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

story

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I was trying to do follow ups on this lake shark but found some interesting info of a shark attack in one of the great lakes.This is actually a huge distance from the ocean.

SHARK WEEK: Lake Michigan shark attack?
Posted in Uncategorized by buckdenton on July 15th, 2008

According to the Global Shark Attack File, in 1955 George Lawson had his right leg bitten off by a bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) while swimming in Lake Michigan near Chicago. The attack was unprovoked and by surprise. The incident log does not mention any other attacks from Lake Michigan, so it appears the incident was an aberration.

Bull sharks have been recorded in the Mississippi River. Additionally, it has been claimed that a series of dams and locks known as the Illinois Waterway, which connects the Mississippi River with Lake Michigan should prevent bull sharks from entering Lake Michigan. Furthermore, Lake Michigan bathers should not be too concerned, because bull sharks prefer warmer waters.

conservationreport.com...

Some cool info on freshwater sharks in there.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar

According to the Global Shark Attack File, in 1955 George Lawson had his right leg bitten off by a bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas) while swimming in Lake Michigan near Chicago. The attack was unprovoked and by surprise. The incident log does not mention any other attacks from Lake Michigan, so it appears the incident was an aberration.

I have never heard of this one. I can't find anything that verifies it either. Except that it is mentioned in the Wiki link for the bull shark. Even on the Global Shark Attack File spread sheet its not listed.

Its totally plausible. The bull shark has been found as far up Illinois, so it could have happened. But if it did I would think it would be easy to find a source.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I'm not sure about the location of Lake Michigan or what rivers if any empty into it.If this came up the St. Lawrence then through all the Great lakes to get to Michigan.That would be crazy thinking.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
More report with pictures of sharks caught in creeks in Minnesota (notice snow on ground in bottom pic)

Live Sharks Caught In Minnehaha Creek, Minnesota
April 1, 2006

www.tonyrogers.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
7 meters is big, but who really knows how big the largest great white is. I remember reading a book written by Jacque Custo where he swears he's seen white sharks up to 34 feet. thats huuuuge. He could have been mistaking a basking shark but it is jacque custo, he knew what he was looking at.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I seen no other info on this lake shark in AU.So im just going to post one last thing and i guess this thread will be here if anyone wants to ever add.
Sorry link don't work.

Dead bull shark found in Lake Guntersville, Alabama

Tuesday, July 29, 2008
KENT FAULK
News staff writer

A teen found a dead bull shark floating in Lake Guntersville last week with a bass lure in its mouth, sparking questions about how it got there.

Had the 3-foot-long bull shark - a species known to attack humans - been lurking beneath the dangling legs of summertime swimmers and skiers?

Or was it dead before it hit the lake - a joke on any unsuspecting person who might find it?

While the answer to those questions may never be known, one thing for sure was the surprise 16-year-old Matthew Barrett got when he went down to a dock at Mountain Lake Resorts on Lake Guntersville on July 21.

Barrett, of Geraldine, said he spotted a dead fish floating belly up and, with the help of his sister and an awning hook from the family camper, he got it out of the water.

At first he thought it was a catfish. "I thought it couldn't be a shark because it's fresh water in a lake," he said.

A bass lure was hooked into the bottom jaw of the shark with about three inches of fishing line still attached, Barrett said. He said he doesn't believe the shark had been dead that long because blood squirted out of it when he was moving it around after taking it from the water.

Barrett said he took pictures and put it in a cooler to show his mother, and the next day he took the shark and laid it on the dock and took more pictures. The Alabama Marine Police came by later that day and took it, he said.

Alabama Marine Police Capt. John Clifton said marine police officers contacted a state conservation officer. He said the fish was badly decomposed by the time marine police got it.

The conservation officer later disposed of the shark.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by alienstar]

[edit on 29-7-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
hey
I live in toukley not far from where the shark was supposedly 'released'. I've heard some stories and although some of the details are shady, the part about the shark being there is meant to be true. However, I wakeboard on the lake at least once a week and so far haven't come across any sharks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join