It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great white shark seven-metre long 'in lake'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Thats interesting..A boat put it there with some kind of crane?Tides were big enough to wash it there?You be the judge.

* July 9, 2008 - 5:00PM

How did an estimated seven-metre long great white shark get into a NSW lake that has ankle-deep water for the 150-metre stretch before it meets the sea?

That's the question puzzling locals on the state's Central Coast after a commercial fisherman reported to police that he netted the monster in waters at a popular school holiday spot at Tuggerah Lake

www.theage.com.au...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
that's crazy if it's true... thanks for posting this. Maybe some photos will appear in the coming days (if it's true).

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Great White Shark (Carcharodon carcharias) - Marine Species ...Maximum length is 6.4 metres, though specimens of up to 7 metres may exist.

So that makes it about the largest possible Great White shark. That is a fairly significant point in this story. The article indicated the size was approximate, so lets not assume it was past 6.4.

I don't think anyone would put that thing there. And I doubt it migrated like a salmon either.

I guess we will never know how it got there, but there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio than are drempt of in your philosophy!

Great article Alienstar, Flagged.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i was under the impression that Bull sharks where the only sharks that could live in fresh water.

scary indeed. as a white water kayaking guide things like this make you wonder what is swimming in those rapids...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Just a different report on the same event.Thought it was different at first.
www.news.com.au...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I saw a documentary a couple of years ago about some White SHarks getting into a river and they attacked a number of people, I dont know could this be possible or just urban myths; sharks in freshwater. Good Fin alienstar

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
When I read the first article I got the distinct impression that the fisherman was mistaken. Perhaps even telling a "Big Fish Tale". I don't know.

First the seas, now the damn lakes. Just can't swim anywhere!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The movie Jaws was based on a white shark that swam up a New Jersey River and terrorized a small town for a few days. This happened about a hundred years ago. Still today if you were to take a look at the same river its no more than 15 ft across. And its mind boggling how something that large was in the river. A giant turtle would look out of place.

A few years ago in a small bay off Cape Cod a 14ft female white shark got stuck there for a couple of days. The depth of the water was only a few feet. There are some awesome videos that can be seen here.

Nobody is sure why the white shark goes into the shallows, but some think they are chasing food during high tide and then get stuck. They then get confused and can't get out. White sharks do not like being in shallow water, they are open water fish. I would say that the shark that is in the lake is just anomaly, and people should enjoy the close encounter of a rare fish.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The sea in the vicinity of where I live has quite a number of Great White Sharks. In fact, it is the only place in the world where Great Whites can be seen breaching - jumping out of the water to catch seals. See: www.asiapac.com.au...

If they could learn to do something here that they don't do anywhere else in the world, why can't they be found (granted, very rarely) in lakes where they may have been trapped when the high water receded.

Just my 2c!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have to be a bit sceptic about this one.

Great Whites have been seen chasing prey in water as shallow as 3 feet. But then again, 7 meters is pretty much as big as they get, and getting a body that size through "ankle deep water" is an amazing feet!

Getting into the lake is one thing, but staying alive in there is a whole other thing. The Great White simply doesn't have the same Osmoregulation capabilities such as the Bull Shark (for instance). I couldn't get any data on the salinity of the lake, but what I get is that it's "fresh water". Then again, if the rain fall has been low in the area the lake's salinity may be higher than usual making survival for a Great White more likely.

All that said, as testrat also pointed out - it has happened before...

The infamous White Shark has never been recorded from fresh or brackish waters. Despite its reputation for toughness, the mighty Great White may be just as osmotically helpless in freshwater as the potamotrygonid stingrays are in salt. Yet it may be premature to conclude that White Sharks cannot tolerate reduced salinities: in January 1997, a juvenile Porbeagle (Lamna nasus) — a close relative of the Great White — was captured in brackish water at the mouth of the Mar Chiquita Lagoon, Argentina.
Source

At least I’m sure they can’t say it was someone’s “exotic pet” that was released into the wild by a concerned owner...

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
the shark is in a natural salt water lake. It's actually a lagoon

en.wikipedia.org...

a map

could've swam in, feasted on the fish and managed to outgrow the exit. now you've got the proverbial big fish in a small pond. this bad boy has no predators in the lake. plenty of food, no predator, no real competition for food. a "jaws" sized great white isn't much of a surprise, given the circumstances.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
the shark is in a natural salt water lake. It's actually a lagoon

I can't find anything on the salt levels of the lakes...?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
roughly two thirds the salt content of seawater:

www.wyongsc.nsw.gov.au...
see page 10 - water quality action plan

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Aaaah! Well, in that case I recall some of what I said in my earlier post.
Not so sceptic any more.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
One of the kinds of stories i love if its true. Some monster found in a lake, just like off a movie lol. When your mother tells you that it only takes ankle deep water to drown in, tell her its not the drowning i'm worried about!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
link

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycocks. This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

MOD NOTE: Please use external links when quoting from other sources...thanks.

[edit on 10/2/2008 by seagull]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by super70

is this you?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
reply to post by Crakeur

Aaaah! Well, in that case I recall some of what I said in my earlier post.
Not so sceptic any more.

One thing that I am skeptic about is the lack of a picture. A 7 meter white shark is pushing to be one of the largest ever caught. Even though it was caught in a net or something. Even the most simple fisherman like to show off their catch.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
it was in the nets but not caught. according to the fisherman, it was bigger than his boat.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't really care if this thread turns out true.So i might as well post all the info i'm learning.Turns out it might be a hoax.Reason being the lake is to small for the shark says a marine biologist.

Posted : Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:26:01 GMT
Author : DPA
Category : Australasia (World)

Australasia World News | Home
Sydney - A marine biologist Thursday poured cold water on claims that a 7-metre great white shark is the latest visitor to a popular coastal town 100 kilometres up the coast from Sydney. Sydney's Taronga Zoo shark expert John West cast doubt on claims by a local fisherman at the town The Entrance that he had fought off the whopper earlier this week after it tangled with his nets in the Tuggerah Lake inlet.

www.earthtimes.org...
armidale.yourguide.com.au...

HERES a map showing the configuration of the lake to the ocean.LOkks big enough to be.

en.wikipedia.org...

Note in Wiki is states All three lakes are shallow, with average depths of less than two metres (6.5 feet)

[edit on 10-7-2008 by alienstar]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join