It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Says Pentagon Will Reopen $35B Tanker Bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Gates Says Pentagon Will Reopen $35B Tanker Bid

www.cbsnews.com

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wednesday that his office _ not the Air Force _ will oversee the competition between Boeing and the team of Northrop and Airbus parent European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co.

The plan, which hands control to the Pentagon acquisition chief John Young and sets up a dedicated source-selection committee, shows that senior civilians at the Defense Department have lost confidence in the Air Force's ability to manage the contract.

-
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is good news for Boeing and the US economy.

It isn't very good news for the Air Force brass, though. I wonder if this had anything to do with the firings of the top AF generals and COS last month. The USAF hasn't been looking so good lately. I hope they don't feel like they have to do something spectacular, like nuke Iran, to regain face.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sorry but I have to disagree with you on it was a good move. Boeing didn't get the contract because the price keep going up and the EADS proposal was a better deal. Boeing had to build a new refueling boom which has not been tested were as EADS have one that has been tested and proven. Boeing again have just acted like babies because they didn't get their own way, Now the whole defense force will have delays on this contract. SHAME ON BOEING.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This is the third damn time this contract will be awarded, and the USAF has screwed up both times previous. This time the USAF won't have any say in the decision whatsoever. The Undersecretary of Defense will make the final decision, which means the generals in charge can't screw things up.

As for Boeing getting a third try being so good for the economy, the NG/EADS aircraft was going to be put together and modified in Mobile Alabama, as well as opening a line for cargo aircraft based on the same airframe. It would have done just as much if not more for the economy than Boeing getting the contract.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Wasn't that the about amount of money the pentagon claimed to have lost (Rumsfeld said that) the day before 9/11?

what a waste.

and the war machine keeps spinning....

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cnm1976

I didn't say it was a good move, I said it was good news for Boeing.

reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for straightening me out on the specifics of construction locations. Scratch that part about the US economy. Government efficiency at work again, I guess.

reply to post by Grey Magic

Uh, I think old Rummy said it was more like $3 Trillion, an order of magnitude bigger than this contract.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
It isn't very good news for the Air Force brass, though. I wonder if this had anything to do with the firings of the top AF generals and COS last month.

Nah, they USAF has been dorking around with the tanker contract for years now.

Originally posted by Icarus RisingThe USAF hasn't been looking so good lately. I hope they don't feel like they have to do something spectacular, like nuke Iran, to regain face.

Yeah, you're right. The first thing that went thru the CSAF mind when this was happening was, "Hey, let's nuke Iran!!!"

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I was joking about the nuke Iran to regain face thing, you should know that.

But seriously, it wasn't the first thought after this news. That thought has been going through the CSAF's mind for a while now. You should know that, too.

top topics

join