It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water found on the moon!

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This was just released:

Water Discovered in Moon Samples

Water has been found conclusively for the first time inside ancient moon samples brought back by Apollo astronauts. The discovery may force scientists to rethink the lunar past and future, although uncertainty remains about how much water exists and whether future explorers could extract it.

"This really appears to have changed the rules of the game," said Robin Canup, astrophysicist and director of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., who was not part of the team that made the discovery. "The assumption has been that the moon is dry."

This is interesting news. I'm not sure what it means, but the scientists are excited about it. Seems like they will have to rethink how the moon evolved.

Rush

[edit on 9-7-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Hey hsur2112 could we get a link to that quote you pasted please?

Thanks in advance,

Becker

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Oh, sorry.....I'm blaming my kids for the distraction. Here it is...

Water Discovered in Moon Sample

Rush

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is from the website about "Lunar Prospector" a NASA mission conducted in 1998 (!):

At 9:28 p.m. (EST) on January 6, 1998, Lunar Prospector (LP) blasted off to the Moon aboard a Lockheed Martin solid-fuel, three-stage rocket called Athena II. It was successfully on its way to the Moon for a one-year, polar orbit, primary mission dedicated to globally mapping lunar resources, gravity, and magnetic fields, and even outgassing events.

Link: lunar.arc.nasa.gov...

From another article on the website:

EUREKA! ICE FOUND AT LUNAR POLES

The Prospector Mission team announced in a press conference on March 5th that the tiny, low budget craft has found the answer to one of the most hotly debated questions in lunar science. Prospector HAS found somewhere between 10 to 300 million tons of water-ice scattered inside the craters of the lunar poles. Not only was ice found--as expected--in the Aitken Basin of the lunar South Pole, but also in the craters of the North. To many's surprise, Prospector detected nearly 50% more water ice in the North than in the South.

Link to article: lunar.arc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Given that basically trace quantities of water were detected inside the rocks (OP), I find the title of the thread grossly misleading. It's like "cyanide found in peaches". It's technically true, but doesn't mean anything as dramatic as it seems to suggest.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Hi ziggystar. This is not the same thing. It is my understanding that Prospector was only capable of measuring a couple of feet below the moon's surface. What this article refers to is the detection of water within volcanic beads, solidified magma from the moon's interior.

Saal's group examined lunar samples brought back from the Apollo missions of the 1960s and 1970s. The glass beads range in color from green to yellow-brown to red, depending on their elemental chemistry.

Such beads formed from droplets of molten lava that spewed from fire fountains reaching down deep within the primitive lunar interior. Saal's group measured the beads' elemental makeup to ensure they came from lunar volcanic activity and not from the impact event that formed the moon.

source

reply to post by buddhasystem

Hi buddhasystem. It is never my intention to be misleading. I probably could have worded it differently.

Rush

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Maybe more fitting would be....

Water found within the moon!

(non-scientific)Rush

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm thinking that little bits of water are going to be found pretty much everywhere. It's a naturally occurring chemical compound made or relatively common elements. I doubt, however, that it would be economically feasible to go to the Moon to get the tiny amount of water there, which would barely be enough to mix with Scotch.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
These times are utterly exciting because we are discovering things that will be able to rewrite history and science and we have always known it growing up. Water on Mars? Water on the Moon? Ancient civilizations of great antiquity underwater on Earth?

I am glad that we are at that apex of change, from growing up with the old school and growing into the new school. I cannot wait what else they find on our Moon. And then... let's get out of our solar system folks!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Hiyah Rush,

Thanks for posting this article
What struck me from reading the article despite the naysayers so far posting in your thread lol...was how excited the scientists seem to be...if, as the others are posting it's "nothing, water is everywhere and in everything, not even enough to put a dash into my scotch" etc...then why are the scientists so excited?

What I found interesting is how much we are STILL learning from the samples that came back from the moon 40 some odd years ago as our technology to study them increases!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
What I found interesting is how much we are STILL learning from the samples that came back from the moon 40 some odd years ago as our technology to study them increases!

Great point. I had to look twice when they mentioned that these samples were from the Apollo mission(s). Oh, but wait, we didn't go to the moon did we? hehe Hopefully they will have luck on Mars w/ Phoenix's easy bake oven dirt analysis.

reply to post by astronomine

Well said astronomine. These are exciting times indeed.

Rush

join