It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AVE_D (Neuron technology demonstrator) takes to the air in first autonomous flight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Seems like dassualt NEURON program is rolling along real nice - The French look like they will pull a real winner out of the hat. Looks like all those who said European UCAV tech was dead in the water were incorrect. This sub scale technology demonstrator sure looks to me as if the French really do want their own home grown stealth strike capacity and not have to buy in foreign systems.

Looks like a beautiful craft for sure (Looking forward to seeing this come to fruitation and deployment).

The demonstrator of the stealthy combat drone AVE-D accomplished a completely autonomous flight, automatically taxiing, takeoff, manoeuvres flight, landing (here in photograph, copyright Dassault Aviation/M. Bonnaire), stopping and then returning to the hanger. This flight of l' AVE-D constitutes a first for Dassault Aviation and constitutes a stake in the development of a technology essential to development progress of the European program nEUROn. The AVES (Aircraft of Experimental Validation) are a d' family; planes of reduced size, without pilot, developed by Dassault and allowing them to test in flight of new technological advances.

Wired blog (In French)

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Looks like the French are pretty much at the same position in terms of development, as the UK with BAE's Taranis demonstrator programme.....

Also, I believe that soon
the UK may have something to rival the predator, at least in prototype form.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The Controller

I still forget about the Taranis - I would love to see a few test pics of that. However, it seems the French are just that little bit ahead. The NEURON does look like a beautiful bird though.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I'd say more then a little bit. Its just rumor of sorts that claims that BAE is on track for a flight in 2010. That is in fact 2 years behind. Mind you tech wise yeah sure it could be comparable on function and demonstration capability of the airframe.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
One has to wonder why Dassault are bothering with this. SAAB has already carried out test flights of fully autonomous aircraft years ago as part of the development of SHARC and Filur. Seems a bit superfluous, I mean why not let SAAB continue its work rather than duplicating it; wasn’t that the whole point in Neuron?

Is Dassault perhaps a little worried that allowing each partner to keep IP rights over any new developments might have put them at a disadvantage?

Also this isn’t the first flight of AVE-D; the aircraft dates back to 1999. However this is the first time it has flown without the aid of outside control.

I'd say more then a little bit. Its just rumor of sorts that claims that BAE is on track for a flight in 2010. That is in fact 2 years behind.

Not sure what you mean; Taranis was always due to fly in 2010. In fact BAE were only awarded a contract in December 2006 so expecting anything before 2010 would be unreasonable imho.

I wouldn’t say that Taranis is behind either; it’s already well into the manufacture stage and all design work is complete. BAE flew this type of aircraft back in 2003 with Raven which forms the basis of Taranis.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

My bad for forgetting to put 'autonomous' in the thread title. I forgot.

I'll go back and change it so people don't get all huffed up about it.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

the point is that that the Neuron has already flown hence the Taranis is 2 behind in terms of making its first flight. what the heck else could I mean?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
reply to post by Mike_A

the point is that that the Neuron has already flown hence the Taranis is 2 behind in terms of making its first flight. what the heck else could I mean?

That it was 2 years behind schedule. That's how I read it too.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Not that its 2 years behind its schedule. The contract request was only sent out in 2005 with it being awarded in late 05 or early 06. A 2010 flight is plenty fast when you view the project by its self as development times of around 5 years is the norm for UCAVs of this size and complexity when you look at the entire Neuron and even Polecat programs.

I have to be very clear it seems here in saying that this isn't a slow program and its not behind schedule its just behind in terms of the abilities of another EU member and other aviation industry members that already have demonstrators flying at this point 2 years before Taranis is "expected" to fly.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

I understood you loud and clear canada_EH, and totally agree that the Taranis is a quick project in comparison to some out there.

Wonder where this will lead to though ? A Polecat / Taranis strike team ? That would be nice to see.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yes I read it as two years behind schedule but either way I think you’ve got your info mixed up somewhere.

Neuron hasn’t flown yet and isn’t due to fly until 2011; AVE-D (the aircraft that has just flown) is a sub scale demonstrator akin to BAE’s Raven in relation to the larger UCAV demonstrator. It first flew in 2000 and has flown a couple of times since then including this latest flight which included an autonomous capability. This isn’t actually Neuron.

If you’re looking at which is ahead in terms of lead in demonstrators both have had aircraft flying for years. As I said Raven flew in 2003 and demonstrated much of what will be incorporated into Taranis; subsequent demonstration by BAE and Qinetiq using manned surrogate aircraft have further developed and demonstrated the key technologies and systems. With Neuron the various partners have also flown a number of aircraft that will lead into Neuron such as SHARC, Filur, AVE-D/C (back in 2000 and 2003), Sky-X and now the autonomous AVE-D.

They’re pretty much on par I’d say.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Mike_A]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
What is Neuron Technology?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
nEUROn is just the name of the program. It is the predecessor to an unmanned UCAV project. "Technology demonstrator" is the term given to aircraft whose design is "testing" the feasibility of some system, design or function. It has nothing to do with "neuron technology" -- though the idea of a 'thought controlled' aircraft has popped up from time to time. Still aways out, I'd think. But here's some monkeys and robots to keep us occupied until then

www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join