It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon's interior 'did hold water'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Moon's interior 'did hold water'

news.bbc.co.uk

US scientists have found evidence that water was held in the Moon's interior, challenging some elements of the theory of how Earth's satellite formed.

The Moon is thought to have been created in a violent collision between Earth and another planet-sized object.

Scientists thought the heat from this impact had vaporised all the water
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Looks like the moon wasnt as dry as we have been told for all these years.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Great find!

It's amazing how much we are only NOW starting to hear about the moon, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Next thing you know they will be confirming everything that john lear says is true!

I agree, it is amazing. I'm gonna try and dig up some more info on this i think.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
isnt it suggested that Planet X collided with earth at some point in the ancient ancient ancient past chipping off a segment that became the moon? i am sure i read that somewhere.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hi Morrigan

Yes thats correct but it wouldnt be "chipping" a bit off it was when the earth was still molten rock i think that was supposed to be about 4.5 billion years ago +/- a billion !!!

anyway i've found the following additional articles on this

A new analysis of Apollo 15 moon rocks has for the first time uncovered water locked up inside.
Article

The moon’s interior may harbor water at concentrations higher than found on Earth. That’s the implication of measurements scientists have made on beads of volcanic glass in rocks that astronauts brought back during the Apollo moon missions.
Article

Washington, D.C. Using new techniques, scientists have discovered for the first time that tiny beads of volcanic glasses collected from two Apollo missions to the Moon contain water. The researchers found that, contrary to previous thought, water was not entirely vaporized in the violent events that formed the Moon.
Article

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't really see how this shoots the Moon's origin Earth impact theory down, though. If the water was found locked within beads of volcanic glass, then that still means the water somehow survived temperatures high enough to melt silica into glass... One way or the other, very high temperatures still affected the moon, so I do not see how that negates the concept that it was formed from an impact with our own Earth.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
That would be cool if our moon was planet x's moon and ours took it on
Now when it passes again we are about to own their other moon!!
Sorry i couldn't help it. Its a theory but who knows. The moon probably had an entirely different aura 1 million years ago... The planet earth was probably a much different planet without the moon. Which brings me to a theory... What if when the floods from the bibles came were influenced by the approach of the moon to earth if the force brought out the waters from within our earth. It is a fun theory. I like to believe that the bible holds a lot of clues to our history... Reguardless of how other religions embrace it... I believe there is some truth to it and it explains the physical or symbolic truth of our pasts' Happy hunting fellers... and ladies.

actually upon more thought it wouldn't be possible because the moon has probably been around for a very long time... but perhaps a meteor took a large chunk off the moon and our planet took the chunks and turned them into rain upon entry
There is another theory. I think its cool that we are all just now becoming interested in our origins
Maybe disclousure will approach sooner then later due to this.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by rjmelter]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I didn't take it as meaning that the theory was refuted, only that the water was not vaporized as they had supposed. Who knows, maybe there are underground cavities in the moon with water in them?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I found this article on the website of "Lunar Prospector", a NASA project that was carried out in 1998!

At 9:28 p.m. (EST) on January 6, 1998, Lunar Prospector (LP) blasted off to the Moon aboard a Lockheed Martin solid-fuel, three-stage rocket called Athena II. It was successfully on its way to the Moon for a one-year, polar orbit, primary mission dedicated to globally mapping lunar resources, gravity, and magnetic fields, and even outgassing events.

Link: lunar.arc.nasa.gov...

Also from the same website:

EUREKA! ICE FOUND AT LUNAR POLES

The Prospector Mission team announced in a press conference on March 5th that the tiny, low budget craft has found the answer to one of the most hotly debated questions in lunar science. Prospector HAS found somewhere between 10 to 300 million tons of water-ice scattered inside the craters of the lunar poles. Not only was ice found--as expected--in the Aitken Basin of the lunar South Pole, but also in the craters of the North. To many's surprise, Prospector detected nearly 50% more water ice in the North than in the South.

Link: lunar.arc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
wow this article got way to quiet it needs to be refocused on.

What does everyone think about the water on the moon, and the plans for a base in 2020?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It goes to show you that NASA does its best to spoon feed the information to us. Why is this a sudden discovery if it was already known for a decade?

The point is, refocus your attention on us and get us FUNDING, so we can contract out more business and be in the newspapers!

This really wasn't a discovery as much as a rediscovery - it seems.

new topics

top topics

join