It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Microorganism That Produces Hydrogen May Be Key to Tomorrow's Hydrogen Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Rare Microorganism That Produces Hydrogen May Be Key to Tomorrow's Hydrogen Economy

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (July 8, 2008) — An ancient organism from the pit of a collapsed volcano may hold the key to tomorrow's hydrogen economy. Scientists from across the world have formed a team to unlock the process refined by a billions-year old archaea. The U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute will expedite the research by sequencing the hydrogen-producing organism for comparative genomics.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is pretty exciting news. Could perhaps be the discovery of something monumental in potential future fuel developements. Then again, ANYTHING that might lighten or end our dependence on oil is exciting. lol

Something to definitely keep an eye on IMO!

“This is just the beginning of an exploration of hitherto unknown processes with potential to advance energy production and having a team will make it more innovative, productive and fun.”

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Watch people scramble to patent it and reduce accessability to cheap energy sources. We have just a legal system in place as to never allow something like this to hit mainstream, unfortunately. I would also rather have a hydrogen solution I could own the production side too, as I have water in the house it's silly to pay twice for hydrogen.

Still good news though, star and flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Totally agree.

Or perhaps these researchers will be the victims of a "home invasion" like the guy who was researching bacteria that produced ethanol...

There are some powerful forces keeping the status quo energy dependence in check...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I predict that the increase in oil is a manipulation of the public, preparing them for a new type of technology/energy/fuel source. At the moment no one buys alterntive energy because they cant afford it compared to oil. So increase oil and make it more competitive for the alternatives ... i have been waiting for the NEWS RELEASE of the great new energy source to save us.. wonder if this will be it.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Whatever it will be will be spin, as the most effective solutions are sandbagged so they never reach mainstream consciousness. We could have a electrolosis hho economy up and running in a couple of years for example, as it can be used directly on converted internal combustion energy, and would be a first step in changing to the more efficient solutions like pure electric and fuel cells.

Take cryogenically cooled liquid hydrogen, which was bmw's proposed solution, which was extremely expensive and ofc unavaible to the average person. That's why this is taking so long, the elites are looking for a way to keep their monopolies.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Exciting find. Bacteria hold lots of promise for future technologies.

How about:

Pollution Eating Bacteria Produce Electricity

Bacteria Produce Oil

Bacteria Produce Magnetic Nanoparticles

Who knows what else is waiting to be discovered.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by TheComte]

top topics

join