It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saab Offers Supercruising Stealth to South Korea, Boeing: No Tailfins F-15?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think some companies are sensing blood in the water and are making attempts at the once pretty much done deal F-35. Saabs notational aircraft would fit the bill. Also since it is a pretty much new build, SK could be enticed by the promise of huge production offsets or even local production o the craft. In addition to the stealth offering Saab is also marketing thier revised Grippen.

Also of note is that Boeing has dusted off a early 1990 concept of an F-15 with no tailfins.

The other plan that is less likely involves Sk's T-50 trainer. The plan be in essence a F-50XL. Not quite a cranked arrow however,

Aerospace is also showing a concept of a delta-wing F-50XL, an analog of the F-16XL that Lockheed Martin offered to the U.S. Air Force in 1982. But the F-50XL concept differs from the F-16XL in having a wing with a straight leading edge, rather than a cranked arrow, and it has canted tail fins.www.aviationnow.com.../awst_xml/20 08/07/07/AW_07_07_2008_p32-63963.xml&headline=Saab+Offers+Supercruising+Stealth+to+South+Korea

The Typhoon will also be offered with imporved avionics and I assume the AESA radar as well.

A Saab proposal to co-develop a stealth fighter with South Korea is raising the prospect of an Asian-European aircraft emerging to compete with the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning.

The South Korean project to build an advanced combat aircraft alternatively offers to fund developments of the Eurofighter Typhoon or to help sustain Boeing’s waning fighter business—but there is also a strong chance that the ambitious program will collapse into yet another F-35 order.

Saab is pitching a new design for a supercruising stealth fighter to South Korea, as well offering the possibility of joining the Gripen next-generation program www.aviationnow.com.../awst_xml/2008/07 /07/AW_07_07_2008_p32-63963.xml&headline=Saab+Offers+Supercruising+Stealth+to+South+Korea

[edit on 7/9/08 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Saab are sensing alot of oportunities for the Gripen , brazil for the F-X2 , switzerland , norway and denmark (and maybe holland as well);

theres rumours of unreported trouble in the F35 programme , which is why some of the `big` boys are making moves now rather than later.

the question is - can the US afford to buy the F35 if too many pull out?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

FredT,

Wanted to have a look-see; do you have links that are not behind subscriber firewalls?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
reply to post by FredT

FredT,

Wanted to have a look-see; do you have links that are not behind subscriber firewalls?

Sorry I don't at this time

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Hi people.

Some pictures of the SAAB effort and a pic from a korean friend of the tailess F-15.

From

SAAB Group

This next pic i do not know how valid it is, because a korean friend sent me to it. But its a tailess F-15 !

the Boeing image is one being circulated around interested folks at the minute so I posted it here for interest.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Dan the F-15 pic is pretty much the same one in the AWST article. I could not get it to download from the site

new topics

top topics

join