It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is a member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau; What is it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I get pop-ups all the time.

I've never received that Opinion Central pop-up while using ATS, but I have on lots of other sites... it's a real pain. It can be initiated from a timed launch in another browser window or tab... you also had MSN open on your screenshot, are you sure it didn't come from there?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

In the screenshot with the pop-up only the ATS page was up. The screenshot with MSN on it was the video ad, not the pop-up.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
In the screenshot with the pop-up only the ATS page was up.

But it looks like there is some kind of blank tab just to the right of the Opinion Central pop-up.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That is the "new tab" button.

Only one tab open - Abovetopsecret

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am curious to know what the IAB's stance is on companies like Phorm, who provide (or plan to provide) advertisers with individual web-use and -- ultimately -- personality profiles based on information and statistics derived from sites like ATS.

I am even more curious to know whether ATS would provide information about members to Phorm and other such companies without asking those members, one at a time, whether it would be okay to do so.

Could somebody in the know enlighten me on this, please?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am on alot and just wanted to say no pop ups here, unless I forget to log in first.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I am even more curious to know whether ATS would provide information about members to Phorm

Never.

For reassurance, please review our Privacy Policy linked at the bottom of every page.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I must be lying then.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by basil_brush
For anyone who's really pissed of with advertising you can use firefox and install a load of addon extensions to give you extra security. I use Flashblock, NoScript, a cookie handler and AdBlock.

Why would you recommend depriving us of our only source of income for this free-for-all-access venue you're currently enjoying?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
why would you suggest using ad blockers when it is against the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you signed up here?

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just dense, but what's the problem here? So I get an ad once in a while. I read a newspaper and there are store ads all over the place, sometimes even on the front page. (Small towns.
)

I would be paying four or five bucks for the newspaper if there were no ads to cover costs and show the owners a profit.

ATS has ads. Big deal. If they pop up in my way, I delete them, unless one really worthwhile came along. It's part of the internet experience. Are people so busy or single minded that an ad is that big of a deal?

Now I do mind the ones that force me to restart my computer, though I imagine I get those from clicking a link to some other site. But even there it gives me a reason to go get a beer or take a bathroom break.

I just don't find it worth the time and effort to worry about.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't care if they don't bother you. SkepticOverlord was saying that there shouldn't be pop-ups, so I told him I was getting them.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I found out where the Pop pop come from, is Media Mayhem and on my able and disable ad ons, is running on the ones that do not require permision.

I disable the four I found but it's actually an active x and just keeps loading until I find it and delete it.

But I think that as long as I open ATS is just going to download any way.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

i am curious how would you know if someone uses a adblocker?
its not something that registers (does it? )

im not saying i use it

also i would like to add
when i did a sweep with anti spyware monsoon kindly suggested.
i had several things come up that were from ATS (the adverts that ATS use)

[edit on 11-7-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Thank you, Overlord.

This is good to know.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
i am curious how would you know if someone uses a adblocker?
its not something that registers (does it? )

we wouldn't. honor system is all we can go by thus I was pointing out that admitting to doing it was somewhat silly.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I don't get any ad pop ups and im running vista no pop up blockers or anything. Actually i never get pop up ads. My gf though gets stuff on our computer all the time. At any rate I would suggest really looking into these things.

Members logged in i dont think see very many ads at all, maybey one ad on the side of the page?!

edit to add.

Oh i didnt realize this thread was a year old haha till i read the last post then seen the dates.

I remember biggie smalls he was one of my friends on here. I'm not sure what happened to him.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by toraylin]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Just to turn the tables,

I have successfully blocked all ats pages and only view the ads, some are really good some are of poor design which lack imagination and could use some subliminal messages to boost the clicks.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join