It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Briton faces jail after Dubai beach sex

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Yeah, there are a lot of very barbaric countries on this planet who do all kinds of crazy things to people for what ever reason their oppresive governments come up with. The more people who denounce these barbaric actions by these countries, the more likely we will be in eliminating these barbaric practices.

Being able to have s3x in public is not an essential freedom imho. As a matter of fact, I would feel offended very much if this happened on the beach I frequent. I agree 6 years is a harsh term, but as many here told you, read the manual already before you engage in a behavior that might be an offense.

And speaking of barbaric, that lady's behavior is just that.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
You know - if I ever got caught having sex in public with someone not my spouse, in a Muslim country - and I got a warning - I would consider myself more than lucky (not even mentioning the sex part) and haul booty back to the motel. I sure wouldn't try to do it again, and then assault the policeman - where does she think she wold end up anywhere else?
I would also bet that a good portion of her sentence has to do with assaulting the Police. What a ditz.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I used to live on the beach. I also used to have the habit of talking sunset or evening walks along the shore front. I can't tell you how many people I stumbled upon having sex.

One side of me thinks this is great, as you have no idea how that can ruin your contemplative mood. But then again, if we put everyone in jail for having sex it would be a rather large waste of money.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalSonicX
I'm with the poster that said that this sort of barbarism should be stamped out wherever it is found.

You almost sound like you want to nuke every muslim country in the world, or otherwise "stamp it out" with fire and sword. Sad. Look in your own backyard first.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

6 years is absolutely ridiculous for sex on the beach..

if two consenting adults want to have sex and they aren't doing it in public .

The laws there regarding this issue are simply archaic .

if I made a country and said that all humans living in my country cannot peacefully assemble with others unless through a government sponsored organization,

is 6 years in prison an appropriate punishment for one night of sex on the beach?

In your opinion..

They were...

Says you...

GW.. Is that you?..

Obviously it is.. coz that's what they decided on....

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FinalSonicX

stop making excuses about how they're their own nation and instead ask yourself: is 6 years in prison an appropriate punishment for one night of sex on the beach?

Apparently in Dubai, it is.

You may not agree with it, and obviously you don't, but you are required to follow the laws of your host country.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
By the way the news piece reads "between three month and six years". For an assault on a police officer 3 months sounds lenient.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Learn the culture and laws of a foreign country....before you go shagging in public.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
As an American I find many laws/customs of other countries either odd, completely wrong and sometimes not appealing at all.
HOWEVER. As an American who has traveled abroad there are some things I know: Learn the laws/customs of where you are going and abide by them. Do those 2 things, all will be fine. It really isnt that hard to do!!

I find it VERY sad that so many Americans NEVER travel outside their comfy little environment and remain ignorant to how people live outside of America. Even if its not like "home", isnt it better to just learn and experience? I think all Americans should be forced to travel and see the world. JMO.

This woman is an idiot. Is the punishment severe? YES! But that is her own dang fault. She knew the laws/customs and she decided to be a jerk and look where she is now. I doubt she will serve that time though. So everyone, relax

[edit on 9-7-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I bet the majority of the setance will be for assaulting a police officer which alot of you seem to be forgetting, Dubai is a fantastic place to visit its crazy to think how far its come along in the past 20 years.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by estar

AND considering they are armed.. She didn't get shot or tasered

Says something for their tolerance too.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I would agree that she's an idiot for assaulting the police and not taking a hint in the first place, but that doesn't change the fact that the sentence is too harsh. 3 months? that's fair enough for assaulting a police officer. 6 years? no way.

as for public, I don't see where it said that there were other people around aside from the police officer. just having sex on the beach doesn't necessarily mean having sex in public. if there was no one around but them and the police, then it's not public.

from the article:

"and there have been several arrests for kissing in public"

but it's their country, right? listen, I'm not saying that there should not be a punishment for her assault on the officer or MAYBE public indecency (but IMO that's arguable) but the charges for sex outside of marriage should definitely be dropped.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Spread this news. Soon Dubai will have to chose between money and religion. That's all they have there sand and sea, if they add "behavior police" to them nobody would want to be there. So they will chose money, and keep the jail time for themselves.
I would not go there even if I had the money

[edit on 9-7-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

They've ALWAYS had 'behaviour police' there and it's the largest growing tourist destination..

Sounds like they're doing something right.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

It wasn't just having sex at the beach tho. She was warned once but then continued to do it and was caught again, and then was racist towards the cop and even started attacking him!

Also you have to remember 6 years is the maximum punishment, she might get less. 3 years would be fair if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I would agree that she's an idiot for assaulting the police and not taking a hint in the first place, but that doesn't change the fact that the sentence is too harsh. 3 months? that's fair enough for assaulting a police officer. 6 years? no way.

as for public, I don't see where it said that there were other people around aside from the police officer. just having sex on the beach doesn't necessarily mean having sex in public. if there was no one around but them and the police, then it's not public.

from the article:

"and there have been several arrests for kissing in public"

but it's their country, right? listen, I'm not saying that there should not be a punishment for her assault on the officer or MAYBE public indecency (but IMO that's arguable) but the charges for sex outside of marriage should definitely be dropped.

I can't agree with any of that. Just because no one is around on a public beach doesn't make it a private beach. Just means no is around at the time. It means anyone could approach at any moment.

The chick was just plain stupid. That's all there is to it. She pulled an attitude and got hostile with the cop in addition to having sex in public (very untasteful in an Arab nation). Disregard for the law should not be tolerated. They should give her the maximum sentence of 6 years in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this was stated. I didnt have time to read everyone responses, but what happened to the guy she was doing it with. Shouldnt both parties have been arrested. not just the chic? When you go to a differant country that has differant rules you have to abide by them or you are subjected to their punishments for breaking the law. Being a travel agent you have to advise your clients to read and understand other countries rules and laws when you book a ticket for them to another country.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This sort of public indecency deserves a jail sentence in any country. Good on Dubai for enforcing some decency. I dont know how anyone can defend having sex in public- it just shouldn't be allowed or done. This is perhaps an example of a good islamic law, as opposed to the idiotic ones (death penalty for naming a teddy bear etc).

The man she was with better be thanking God that they were in UAE instead of Saudi Arabia... In SA they would have chopped off his "tool" as a punishment. Doesnt prison seem much more inviting now?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's a matter of respect; when you travel to other countries you need to respect their laws and traditions. If you can't manage to respect the people of the country you are visiting then you need to stay away.

I've traveled all over the world and it your responsibility to be aware of the laws and traditions of the countries you are visiting. I expect tourists who visit my home to respect our laws and traditions and it is only right to do the same.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Some of the replies here are rediculous, it's not about whether it's right to imprison someone for this. The simple fact is she was in a foreign country doing something against their laws. I bet half of the people here complaining are the very same people who call for immigrants to their countries to follow their ways.

If you are in a foreign country just learn the laws and stick to them, seems to me you shouldn't have the right to do what you want just because your home country allows it. Isn't that just utterly arrogant?

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
This sort of public indecency deserves a jail sentence in any country. Good on Dubai for enforcing some decency. I dont know how anyone can defend having sex in public- it just shouldn't be allowed or done. This is perhaps an example of a good islamic law, as opposed to the idiotic ones (death penalty for naming a teddy bear etc).

As a side note, why is it wrong to have sex in public? Wouldn't bother me the slightest bit, i'd just walk on if i saw such a thing. I dunno it seems to me that sex in public used to be the normal thing thousands of years ago, and as we still love to have sex then why not let it take it's natural course? If you and your lover are suddenly struck by passion then go for it! There are few cleaner acts of fun in this world, don't leave things until tomorrow that you can do now. Oh just try not to do it in a place where there are kids, that i think would be the exception.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join