It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Briton faces jail after Dubai beach sex

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by srtx781

Funnily enough they're commonplace.
Guys go in the sea with full dish-dash too..

BUT they still respect anyone non-muslim can go 'regular' cozzie..

Cheese-wire thong and factor 50

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
She continued to break the law after a warning. What a dumb ass.

But she faces up to 6 years, give me a break. 6 f'n years for having a little fun, who hasn't had sex on the beach? I understand being held accountable for breaking laws but when the sentence is outrageous it is perfectly normal to protest and complain about it. Deny ignorance, not accept it just because the ignorance is in another country.

A few days in jail and a fine, there is no rational for anything more severe. There are crazy laws and punnishments all over this world, and I won't just respect them just because there geographic location, insane is insane.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hi guys

Just reading this thread.

1) Jumeirah beach is not secluded, it is a public beach frequented by tourists, everytime i have ever been there it has been packed.

There are different sections... Open sections.. or closed sections where you have to pay to get in.. (about $2.. ) or Sections closed of to specific Hotels.. But they are all not secluded.

2) Its quite simple.. when in a foreign country you must obey their laws..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
i got a news story for you all ! man pulls out gun,demands cash in a bank and gets arrested! its coruption i tell you! fact is she broke the law. indecent behavior in a public place where children could be present is a crime plain and simple! this ones fail.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PApro

Wow the correlation with your example is soooo acurate.

The problem here is not her being held accountable, it's the severity of the punishment. Now 6 years for holding up someone with a deadly weopon I could see, 6 years for 'late night' fornication in a public place is 'ass'enine.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

Well I'll come to America and have sex with a 16 year old girl and expect no prosecution..

It's legal in the UK so I DEMAND it' should be legal there too..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Wow, another totally 'ass'enine correlation. Ok, dudes, whatever, you feel that 6 years is a fair sentence for late night fornication aint no skin off my back. Wait I got another 'ass'enine example, how bout I come to Britain with a bunch of guns and sell em off to people, or go shootin with em. NOT the same thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper how bout I come to Britain with a bunch of guns and sell em off to people, or go shootin with em. NOT the same thing.

I'll buy one.. do they come in red?

You give a good example actually.
WOULD you bring your gun over to hunt with in UK. when you KNOW it is illegal?

Try this..
It ISN'T what we DO or DO NOT think is fair.

It's the law of a country so live with it or stay the hell out.

If you can't do the time.. err.. then.. don't errm.. won't get fooled again.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
But she faces up to 6 years, give me a break. 6 f'n years for having a little fun

Vero Beach woman guilty of sex with a minor

VERO BEACH — Businesswoman Denise Harvey, 40, of Vero Beach just stared ahead as a jury's verdict was read Thursday — she is guilty of having sex with a 16-year-old youth five times in 2006.

Then she simply handed a court bailiff her rings and was taken off to jail, pending sentencing Aug. 28.The maximum sentence for each of the five counts of sexual activity with a minor is 15 years in prison.

In the UK, thats perfectly legal.

I understand being held accountable for breaking laws but when the sentence is outrageous it is perfectly normal to protest and complain about it. Deny ignorance, not accept it just because the ignorance is in another country.

So you're all for a change in the law in the USA then, are you?

There are crazy laws and punnishments all over this world, and I won't just respect them just because there geographic location, insane is insane.

And the insanity may just be in the USA?

The world has different laws in different places. The world is not the USA. Can't you accept that?

[edit on 9/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Hell man.. you rock...

I was looking for one of those type of examples but you totally burnt me off..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Well my opinion is of what I do and do not think is fair. I wish for the world to be more civilized. I understand the laws and would'nt break them like this stupid lady, but I reserve my right to sympethize and to not agree with the 6 year penalty. What about the unsuspecting tourist, that is just being risky and gets caught, you think they know that their seemingly innocent sex could cost them 6 years in prison? You can assume that this lady knew the consequences, but maybe she didn't know that such a punnishment came with the crime. And yes I do believe in leniency for foreign people that commit non hazardous crimes. This isn't gun toting, bank robbing, child molestation or any kind of obtrusive crime.

A consensual act of fornication in the dead of night on the beach deserves a certain amount of leniancy.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The law is too harsh!! A public flogging would be sufficient.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Well that is an extreme example, please understand my reasoning is that this lady commited a non obtrusive crime and I believe leniancy should be looked at for each case individually. The lady wasn't having sex with a minor, hellllllo.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

but I reserve my right to sympethize and to not agree with the 6 year penalty.

What about the unsuspecting tourist, that is just being risky and gets caught, .

I sympathize too.. for the guy.. as he WAS an unsuspecting tourist..
But NOT for the woman as she WORKED there for years and KNEW the law of the land.

BUT.. for the 'leniency'..
they got caught and warned.. then continued anyway..
That does nothing to me except suggest disrespect..

So stuff em..

I was there.. got caught..on camera.. and the security turned on the ground sprinklers..

I took that as MY warning.. nuff said..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I see no reason to attack Americans just because I think this law is unfair. Get a life and don't be jerks, my opinion has nothing to do with being American, the OP is british, so are British people insane too? A jerk is a jerk is a jerk and the UK seems to be chock full of them as of late.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

If you are traveling to a foreign country wouldn't it be prudent to know the laws of that land? Ignorance of anothers countries laws doesn't suspend their laws. I had a run in with another countries laws back in the 80's. Lost my car over a deal that in my country wouldn't have warranted a ticket. My country? Canada. Got busted? USA. It doesn't even have to be a very different culture. You should know the laws of the land though.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The lady wasn't having sex with a minor, hellllllo.

In the UK, the guy mentioned in that article is 16, and therefore isn't a minor.

So what she did would have been perfectly legal in the UK

In the US she'll probably get 15 years in jail for "havin a bit of fun".

So as a British person, do I say

Jailing people for these types of activities for more than a night is barbaric.

and

Only a fool would vacation in such a place.

and

Excuse me for having an opinion, but throwing someone in jail for 15 YEARS for natural acts is completely and totally barbaric.

and

I certainly would never visit such a place.

and

Yeah, there are a lot of very barbaric countries on this planet who do all kinds of crazy things to people for what ever reason their oppresive governments come up with. The more people who denounce these barbaric actions by these countries, the more likely we will be in eliminating these barbaric practices.

Do I judge by my standards, and try and project it onto another country - in this case the USA, rr do I say "thats US law", respect it and not make a fuss?

[edit on 9/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

www.dumblaws.com...

A bed may not be hung out of a window.

I must protest.. British laws are sensible and just

Don't worry.. If I see any Muslims breaking these laws I shall report them to the proper authorities too..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The point being made about the law being too harsh is probably a little off-track. I am guessing what "they" are pointing at is that the punishment is too harsh. Which it seems to be, that is if that was the only count(which I doubt).

However, there are places where such a woman would be gang-raped, right there and that would be socially acceptable - not to you, to the people of that society.

Dubai, being the relatively liberal society it is, perhaps has a better answer than the social justice that might happen otherwise.

I am sure she will get out in a few months with a little bit of diplomatic help.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
6 years is absolutely ridiculous for sex on the beach. if I was the police officer and no one was around except me, I'd just let them go at it and walk away. I mean it's an experience that I wouldn't deprive a couple from having as long as they're not infringing on anyone's rights.

I believe in certain natural laws. outlawing certain sexual behaviors that do not infringe on the rights of others is one of those things that breaks natural law. if two consenting adults want to have sex and they aren't doing it in public (infringing on the rights of others), then I see no problem whatsoever.

The laws there regarding this issue are simply archaic and unjust. no sex outside of marriage, no homosexuality, no co-habitation? that's ludicrous. people are supposed to be free to do what they want given that they aren't messing with anyone else.

I'm with the poster that said that this sort of barbarism should be stamped out wherever it is found. deny ignorance here and abroad. don't simply accept such unusual punishment because "it's a foreign country". if I made a country and said that all humans living in my country cannot peacefully assemble with others unless through a government sponsored organization, would you respect the laws of my country simply because I'm a country? I sure wouldn't because that law would be unjust and thus in my opinion it would be immoral to enforce it or allow it to continue to negatively affect others.

stop making excuses about how they're their own nation and instead ask yourself: is 6 years in prison an appropriate punishment for one night of sex on the beach?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join