It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Briton faces jail after Dubai beach sex

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Briton faces jail after Dubai beach sex

www.metro.co.uk

A British businesswoman faces six years in a foreign jail after she was allegedly caught having sex on a beach in Dubai.

Publishing firm manager Michelle Palmer, 30, was arrested after a police officer reportedly saw her in a compromising position on Jumeirah Beach in the state.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thesun.co.uk

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm not a big reader of The Sun or The Metro, but this story caught my eye.
What do you guys think about this?

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
its also illegal to have codeine in the UAE

ergo

learn what the laws are in a country before going there; its also illegal to have sex on the beach *an act of gross indecency* in most countries actually

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I totally agree with you.
I reckon they're using her to set an example aswell.

[edit on 9/7/08 by PeaceUk]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
its also illegal to have sex on the beach *an act of gross indecency* in most countries actually

I quite agree. If this happened in the Hamptons, (a) this wouldn't be anything sensational (b) the perps will certainly go to jail. I was on jury duty and I'm sure that there is no way they would have escaped that.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
i think its more of a `respect this country` when people travel - like

Tracy Wilkinson was held in custody for eight weeks before customs officers accepted the codeine she was carrying had been prescribed by her doctor for back pains.

the advice is , carry your prescription with you

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ermm.. You seem to have left out the facts..
She was cautioned once..which is common after getting caught 'in action' over there.

Deciding to ignore the caution and continuing where they left off they then got caught AGAIN by the same cop..

She would probably have gotten away with a slap on the wrists but decided to verbally and physically attack him..racially too.

Why is this 'being made an example of'?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Jeez, where to start...

If you travel, much less work, in a foreign country, it is your responsibility to become familiar with the laws of that country. I'm sorry but anyone with two brain cells to rub together ought to know that there are strict laws regarding women and morals in Saudi Arabia.

If I'm not mistaken, a businesswoman in Dubai was arrested a few months ago for sitting at a table with a man who was not her husband and drinking coffee. While I think this particular incident is a bit far-fetched myself, it only goes to show how women are held to a stricter standard in this country.

That said, Ms. Palmer should have known that in Saudi Arabia:

• having sex outside of marriage is unlawful
  • having sex outside of marriage in a public setting is unlawful
  • having sex outside of marriage on the beach for the world to witness...

Well, you get the picture. Bottom line is that Saudi Arabia is not the UK, France or another country in the world. She should have know that her actions would have consequences if caught. And she was, and they do.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Bottom line is that Saudi Arabia is not the UK, France or another country in the world.

If memory serves me right, Dubai is NOT in Saudi Arabia

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Ms. Palmer should have known that in Saudi Arabia:

Jumeirah Beach is in Dubai. UAE.

But if she worked there for three years she's WELL aware of the rules.
Unfortunately a lot of British Ex-pats think they own the place after being there for a while.

Police are VERY lenient there..they don't have to be but they know stories like this could affect tourism.

She was NOT a tourist..and apparently trying to flout the law as she 'married' the guy in prison(..who WAS a tourist..) to try and escape a larger sentence.
That's not the actions of someone who was unaware of what could happen either.

There are PLENTY of unmarried co-habitiations and no-one cares as long as you aren't being deliberately disrespectful.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
She had no need to break the decency code down there, if she did it and was warned, then she must face the consequences, there is no debate for me, when you go abroad you must abide by the foreign rules. She has no excuse.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU PEOPLE FROM?

Sending someone to jail for having sex on the beach for more than a night or two is completely insane. They don't say whether or not they were on an isolated beach or not, but chances are that they were, and the police officer was stalking them.

If anyone tells you they plan on vacationing in a Muslim controlled nation, make sure you tell them about these insane laws, becuse that is what they are. I wouldn't work in one of these countries unless they paid me 3 times my normal salary. Jailing people for these types of activities for more than a night is barbaric.

Only a fool would vacation in such a place.

SR

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You have to respect another countries laws and she had lived and worked there for a long amount of time so would of been familiar with the laws.

Sex in public places in any country is a no no really anyway.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I wouldn't work in one of these countries unless they paid me 3 times my normal salary.

Oh well, they a probably paying 4 times as much. Are you game?

Only a fool would vacation in such a place.

I've know some really cool people who like to vacation there! All you have to do is to not break local laws. It's pretty simple if you are not a moron.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
YEAH, great place to go as long as you study their laws. Meet a girl, give her a kiss at her door at the end of a date, and wind up going to jail. Yeah, that is so common sense.

Do they adverise this in their tourism brochures, kind of like drug companies must give warnings on side effects.

Caution, Causal Physical Encounters could lead to long jails sentences.

I had better offers long ago and turned them down.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Jumeirah beach is erm.. pretty large..

If you wanted to be a little more sensible and discreet there are plenty places.
There are places that are open to the public and private sections.

She hit one of the all inclusive deals..got drunk..and horny..and instead of taking a taxi back home decided to go for it in public..on FRIDAY.. HOLY DAY too

How disrespectful/stupid could you possibly be??

Well what if I decided to do the same on Sunday.. in UK.. in a park with kids running around?..
There's NO WAY you would get away with a first warning.. you'd be arrested on the spot..

She deserves all she gets..because she was obviously too stoopid to consider herself lucky after getting warned the first time.
The guy?? only as a tourist .. a little less so..

And yeah.. they probably DO have advice to respect customs on the brochures..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Bottom line is that Saudi Arabia is not the UK, France or another country in the world.

If memory serves me right, Dubai is NOT in Saudi Arabia

I stand corrected on this point. Apparently my sense of geography leaves a little to be desired.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU PEOPLE FROM?

Not the UAE - which is why, if I went there, I would respect their laws.

Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1bYEAH, great place to go as long as you study their laws.

It's funny that such concept is foreign to you. In Virginia, you can carry a handgun in a holster, in public. It may seem natural. If you are ignorant enough to not inquire beforehand, prior to a roadtrip up North, you'll be facing some major, major charges when you show up in Manhattan with all that firepower (since you also crossed state lines). If this doesn't make sense to you, I don't know what does.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So where is the information that they were doing what ever they were doing in front of children, and not in a secluded spot? If Friday is holy day, how many Muslims are at the beach with their children? What time of the day did this happen, in the middle of the afternoon, or late at night when good children should all be at home in bed?

By the way, What is wrong with getting drunk and horny and doing adult things with another adult on a secluded romantic beach?

Excuse me for having an opinion, but throwing someone in jail for 4 YEARS for natural acts is completely and totally barbaric.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join