It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you tell if your phone is tapped?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
My uncle in romania has his phone tapped! every time we try 2 call him from australia 2 tell him about the cash we send him, like where, when why, the phone eiether disconects a few times, or we can here some other noises and voieses throught the phone. Sometimes he can only hear us but we cant hear him?
usauly after the 3rd or 4th atempt in calling him works fine. obvously the reason why someone would be tapping my uncles phone is because he is always reciving money from us, and we are trying 2 get him in australia. Which is very hard and may take 2 more years. But this has never happen last year, it only started recently

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
one of my boiys got out of jail and he said he learned a lil trick it consist of dialing 9

dial 9 9 9 it will repeat your number........
then dial 9 9 9 again and if it says all circuits are busy than it is being tapped
dunno if its true but worth a try

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I just read this whold forum and im very interested. dont have a good reason to have my phone tapped but i believe that in many cases you dont need one, simply the pure suspition that you know someone who does.

iv recently been finding about alot of phone tricks. One i learned but dont know if it really works is an 817 you call and you get either a loud ringing alot like some sort of alarm (not tapped) or a busy signal (tapped), i dont remember the number so ill post it when i get the #. Another is the 999 trick i just read about. Is there anymore of these phone tricks and if so what is there purpose and there must be somewhere on the net you find these?

Just some thoughts.

"If your doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about." Right but who decides what is a good reason? As easy as it is to tap phones now how good of a reason do they really need to tap your phone and posibly arrest you for something you said on the phone. ANY reply is appreciated.

PS. As the world turns ppl get smarter and smarter, government and your normal citizens alike. Is the thought of tapping back(for example your local pd who is probly tapping you)just downright rediculous, or more possible than one might think?

I want to here others views on the subject, If you have anything to say i would appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I found this while googling, and I love this site! I have a very creepy neighbor, always watching us, wondering what we are doing, noticing everything that changes in our life. He just sits in his garage even in the snow, watching. A few months ago I got Comcast landline service, and I always hear clicks and weird noises. Like a number being pressed quickly, but only half the tone, and then the start of that "do do DO we're sorry..." but it's just the first "do". I don't know if that makes sense, but I don't know how to describe it. My friend hears it too, and all the clicking is scaring her.

Another time, my husband called me here at home, and it rang, I answered it and only heard an echo. He called back and said that was weird, some guy answered. I'm glad he didn't think it was a guy here, because it wasn't! These things happen almost everyday. I call my friend, we can't hear each other, only an echo of ourselves.

I called Comcast, and they said this is not normal and want to send a tech out. I have to call back to schedule. My friend and I always talk about our future trip to Area 51, and my recent one, and just started talking about killing the president, stating the time the bomb BOMB BOMB! will go off just to see if we heard any more clicks. I doubt we would be able to tell if the government was listening, I don't even care if they do. I just don't want my creepy neighbor listening.

I doubt it, but is there any way to tell if someone is listening on a scanner? Or anything I can do to not be heard by him? A hardwired phone is not an option right now, would have to have the house rewired for Comcast. I talk on Vtech 5.8ghz digital spread spectrum phones right now, but are there any that have been tested and can't be picked up on a scanner? Probably not.. I'm getting more and more paranoid and can't stop looking out my peephole.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hi, in the past few weeks, maybe even months now I have noticed my cordless phone clicking. It has never made this noise before. I have noticed the clicking sound is a consistant noise but it occurs at irregular intervals during a phone conversation. It sometimes even repsonds directly to conversations I am having with a particular person I speak to on a regular basis. The phone may even click when we ask it a question! I have never experienced this before, EVER!!! Is my phone being tapped or am I just paranoid? Saucy

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think that the "echoes" you get on cell phones are indications of your cell phone being tapped. If anyone remembers 9-10 years ago, there were no echoes when talking on a cell phone.

Interestingly enough, when I talk to a buddy about conspiracy stuff over the phone, we always have echoes. When I call my mother, there is always an echo. UNTIL I say "Hi, Mom! It's me.", then the echo magically disappears. (I'm not talking about it happening once or twice, it happens EVERY time.)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi folks,

you have to remember that if you are speaking on a cordless phone or on a cellphone, that both are affected by such things as wirless internet etc.

for example my own house phone is a cordless phone with a base station and two handsets, when my cable internet is plugged into my wireless adapter i get interference on my phone.

another example is at my work we cannot use cell phones within a certain area because of interference from and to other comms equipment.

basiclly think of the obvious before thinking of the extreme......unless you ARE into slightly dodgy things .....such as criminal activity !!!

snoopyuk

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hey everyone!

This is my first post but i've been following ATS for a some time now. I really had to give my point of view on this matter as NMT- and GSM-networks were big part of my vocational examination so i dare to say that i have some knowledge of what i'm talking about..

I've summarised here a quick cut and paste from this webpage as i'm too lazy and my grammar sucks.. Please read the webpage for more thorough explanation.

Official methods:
In the U.S., telecommunications carriers are required by law to cooperate in the interception of communications for law enforcement purposes under the terms of Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA). Taps must be secret and undetectable.

When telephone exchanges were mechanical, a tap had to be installed by technicians, linking circuits together to route the audio signal from the call. Now that many exchanges have been converted to digital technology tapping is far simpler and can be ordered remotely by computer. Public switched telephone network and telephone services provided by cable TV companies also use digital switching technology. If the tap is implemented at a digital switch, the switching computer simply copies the digitized bits that represent the phone conversation to a second line and it is impossible to tell whether a line is being tapped. A well designed tap installed on a phone wire can be difficult to detect. The noises that some people believe to be telephone taps are simply crosstalk created by the coupling of signals from other phone lines.

Data on the calling and called number, time of call and duration, will generally be collected automatically on all calls and stored for later use by the billing department of the phone company. This data can be accessed by security services, often with fewer legal restrictions than for a tap.

Unofficial methods:

* "Recording the conversation" - the person making/receiving the call records the conversation using a coil tap ('telephone pickup coil') attached to the ear-piece, or they fit an in-line tap with a recording output. Both of these are easily available through electrical shops.

* "Direct line tap" - this is what the state used to do via the telephone exchange. But unofficial tapping, where the user's line is physically tapped near the house, is also possible. The tap can either involve a direct electrical connection to the line, or an induction coil. An induction coil is usually placed underneath the base of a telephone or on the back of a telephone handset to pick up the signal inductively. With a direct connection, there will be some drop in signal levels because of the loss of power from the line, and it may also generate noise on the line. A well designed induction tap does not drain voltage or current from the line because it isn't physically connected to the phone line. Direct taps sometimes require regular maintenance, either to change tapes or replace batteries, which may give away their presence.

* "Radio tap" - this is like a bug that fits on the telephone line. The state does not normally do this because they have access via the telephone exchange, though certain organizations exempt from the common framework of law applying to citizens may use devices like this. It can be fitted to one phone inside the house, or outside on the phone line. It may produce noise (there might even be signal feedback on the monitored line on poorly made equipment) to inadvertently alert the caller.

Many of you probably know this already but to those that don't:
It is also possible to get greater resolution of a phone's location by combining information from a number of cells surrounding the location, which cells routinely communicate and measuring the timing advance, a correction for the speed of light in the Global System for Mobile Communications GSM standard.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hubahuba

huba you are most correct

if they gubment doesn't want you to know you are being tapped
then you will never know as they go through the phone carrier
to do so. And they don't need a warrant to do so after the
Patriot Act. There is no oversight on who gets listened to.
They do so much wiretapping, the FBI gets a bill every month
JUST for the wiretapping service. So if it's that large, then there
are a large amount of people being listened to.

think they don't listen to you ??
read it and weep

FBI gets wire tap cut off by phone company due to unpaid bill

Second source

LMAO .... I bet that was embarrassing to the bureau ....

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheshire cat
my phone is completely acting weird. Clicks... echos, disconnections for some reason.
[Edited on 9-3-2004 by cheshire cat]

It could be a part of spiritual warfare. They use cell phones to keep you asleep.
Here are some basic rules how to avoid the cell phone mind control:

1) Do not have your cell phone near your bed/your bedroom. Keep it as far away as possible while you are sleeping. When you are asleep, your shielding is down and They can "hack in" so to speak.

2) If you start having a strange feeling/pain in the back of your neck while talking on a phone, turn it off and place it away from you.

3) Generally, keep your cell phone as far away from yourself as possible. Keep it in another room, if it's possible, and use only when you have to.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My former boss - a Private Investigator - used to tap phones ALL the time. It is very common. Especially when someone suspects their spouse is cheating.

If a phone is tapped, its not always the government. It could be a PI who was hired to do so - by some everyday Jane Doe.

Just something to think about.

When I visited Russia back in '93 I remember making phone calls to the US (to family) and it was blaintly obvious the phone lines were "tapped". It sounded like someone was in the other room on a phone listening in my phone call. LOL

I live on a military base, so im sure any call I make can be heard. It doesnt really bother me. Part of choosing to live on base I guess.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Some of you peeps are seriously paranoid. With today's technology that we have within the networks, we could tap your calls easily and remotely without leaving a trace.

All the clicks, beeps, whistles, one way transmission and other stuff you've all cited as "proof" your being tapped are normal run-of-the-mill faults we have to deal with on a daily basis. It's not evidence of wire tapping or such like.

Bottom line is most people haven't a clue how the telephone system operates and attribute all the above mentioned garbage as proof positive of being tapped, when in reality, they are just normal faults on the line.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
its really almost impossible to tell if your cell phone is tapped. I am under local and federal investigation and from what im finding out, surveillance.

I cant find anything on cell phone taps on the web, however, search for land line tap detection and you should have something. Also, i'd suggest investing in a bug detecter. Cheap and effective.

The Justice system is slick and with the Patroit Act, the can and will listen and watch anyone they "think" is a threat to society.

Stay alert, my friend.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
My phone is definately tapped...My neighbors, my employers, grocery store clerks and common citizens can all hear my phone calls...Somehow I think this might be illegal..I can't prove it either because I have no physical evidence...not even the cops can help me because their is no evidence...I have a cell phone and they can hear me even when I dont call anybody...This is wierd...My last employer would repeat my phone calls to me...They even threatened and hurt me..Assholes!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spooky Fox Mulder

What? Huh?
I have no idea what you just wrote because of your avatar.

It is very distracting.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm a foreigner living in USA. I know a person of my nationality involved in interpreting conversations of "people under suspicion" . I also happen to be related to a member of a government of one of the "Big-8" Countries... I know for sure that my e-mails, phone, etc is tapped. Even parcels arrive to me opened, some letters as well. I'm not involved in politics or any illegal activities. I'm a disabled person.But I'm too afraid make jokes about illegal activities over the phone/net, etc, as members of my family had previous investigations for no reason!!! Also, about 20-25 years ago:
a friend joked about bringing hashish from Morocco, because he didn't have time to buy souvenirs for family and friends during his trip... 15 minutes later he was in prison questioned... It took huge efforts to explain that it was a silly joke. That was over 20 years ago, since then technology made huge progress! I was told recording devices are placed in every mobile phone and can record conversations even when not in use!
If you look at controversial websites, etc... Everything you type in an e-mail, on the net, etc, usually is checked! Most people should not worry though, it's simple accumulation of data done for marketing, conveniences, etc... Ideally the goal is to built a seamless web-world of info about each person (such as: health problems, bank accounts, location, etc...ALL done with the goal of making things easy for humanity!
Most people should not worry unless they are in the field of politics or illegal biz. or related to the individuals above!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The easiest way to tell if your phone is tapped these days is if you can hear a dial tone.

ALL phone conversations are digitally recorded, logged and archived for future retrieval. If no one is listening at the present, they can in the future.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I believe the world's population comes to about 6 billion nowadays. I've heard the US population totals about 350,000,000. Some of those 350,000,000 people make many calls per day. In my work and at home, I estimate that I make or receive an average of 3 calls a day. Now, I don't like talking on the phone and will avoid it if I can (I used to work in a call center, back then I received and made many more calls that I do now). So, I suppose that my average number of calls per day doesn't represent most people's calling habits. I reckon most people make many more calls than that.

But, just for argument's sake, let's assume that the 350,000,000 residents of the US make an average of about 3 calls each per day. That comes to about 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) calls made each day in the US alone. Can you imagine the NSA or CIA monitoring that number of calls? Well, I can't.

I work for a state government agency and have for 23 years. Believe me, we can't even keep up with the regular work, much less handle those kind of numbers. And I don't work for any kind of strategic agency. We handle unemployment claims. I don't believe we have much to worry about with eavesdropping by government agencies. Hell, we can't even get unemployment claims paid correctly.

I just don't see any government agency wasting it precious resources trying to crunch those kind of numbers. My agency pays out about $2,000,000,000 ($2 billion) per year in unemployment benefits, so we already crunch a lot of numbers. But, over a billion per day? No way, not the way legislators and congress members keep the money tight. Just not possible in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
You will no longer be able to detect it.

With the technology they have at their finger-tips there is no need for clicks, beeps, or airy sounds.. it is flawless and set into a database, which can be referenced by searching using certain parameters.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
It "seems" to me that a certain entity.......help me out on this, No Such Agency, has been able to monitor ANY phone call or data transmission since the early 60's. It was common "knowledge" where I worked in the 70's and 80's.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join