It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black only channel will ONLY cover DNC covention.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Dronotek, I see where you're coming from on your points and I agree with the double standard that you're pointing out on racism that exists in this country based on skin color. It's been there for a long, long time, it's just been unsaid. It's okay for black people to hate white based on skin color because of whites enslaving blacks some 150 years ago. At least, that's the feeling I get from many Democrats.

And as for arguing with Andrew - forget it, man. I've sparred with him before. It's like arguing with a waffle-iron. If you disagree with him about anything related to Obama you've just been labeled a racist, just like he did to you on page 1. The guy is a few french fries short of a happy meal.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is his right to do this, but on the same token, it is the right of a rich white man to air the Stanley Cup finals as a tribute to white achievement.

They are both wrong for doing so for the reason they presented(bigots, racists, buttclowns), but if people are going to be free, why stop them?

As long as TV ONE keeps playing the PJs, I want them to stick around.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grand Puba
reply to post by Dronetek

Good work peeps! Now do you still believe after getting a little better history of BET that it is still a racist channel?

Peace!

Well, I never once said BET was racist.

Originally posted by sos37

And as for arguing with Andrew - forget it, man. I've sparred with him before. It's like arguing with a waffle-iron. If you disagree with him about anything related to Obama you've just been labeled a racist, just like he did to you on page 1. The guy is a few french fries short of a happy meal.

Thanks man, I realized that when he stared U2Uing me, ranting about how dumb I am and how great he is.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I've noticed that not one person who sees no problem with BET or TV One has mentioned slavery! Only people who have an axe to grind with black people keep bringing slavery up!

White government oppression of blacks didn't end in 1865! If so, there wouldn't have been a need for a martin luther king jr!

BET was launched 11 years after MLK got his throat blasted out by "the government?"

It was needed then and now!

Newsflash: Racist government policies and pratices still exist!

Redlining, gentrafication, forclosures, black farmers being jerked for their land, lack of reparations (affirmative action is NOT reparations! The #1 benificary of affirmative action is/are white women! Welfare too!)ect...

And BET isn't even black owned!(See:Viacom)

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

I've noticed that not one person who sees no problem with BET or TV One has mentioned slavery! Only people who have an axe to grind with black people keep bringing slavery up!

White government oppression of blacks didn't end in 1865! If so, there wouldn't have been a need for a martin luther king jr!

BET was launched 11 years after MLK got his throat blasted out by "the government?"

Redlining, gentrafication, forclosures, black farmers being jerked for their land, lack of reparations (affirmative action is NOT reparations! The #1 benificary of affirmative action is/are white women! Welfare too!)ect...

Peace!

First of all, you cant lay all the blame for slavery on white America, from now to eternity. It was Africans who caught and sold many of those slaves and they were sold everywhere. More so in South America than anywhere else in the world.

Jews were almost annihilated from the earth 50 years ago and they seem to be getting along just fine in the same generation! Perpetuating racism, no matter how justified you think it is, will only serve to perpetuate the cycle.

Secondly, I thought we were clear on BET. That article I posted says its still black controlled, even though its owned by Viacom. It may not be "black owned", but its black founded and run.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
So, how is this not racist? Its a good example of what I've been talking about for years. This idea that we cultivate racial pride and even bigotry in all "people of color". While, we hold down white people and teach them that they cant be proud. I mean, we are actually living in a time where segregation seems to be "diversity". Why do we still have black colleges, black TV channels, black caucuses, black churches, etc.?

I get the idea that you're calling BET and TV One racist here!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

reply to post by sos37

Peace!

First of all, you cant lay all the blame for slavery on white America, from now to eternity. It was Africans who caught and sold many of those slaves and they were sold everywhere. More so in South America than anywhere else in the world. You also cant continue to blame "white people" for eternity.

Jews were almost annihilated from the earth 50 years ago and they seem to be getting along just fine in the same generation! Perpetuating racism, no matter how justified you think it is, will only serve to perpetuate the cycle.

Secondly, I thought we were clear on BET. That article I posted says its still black controlled, even though its owned by Viacom. It may not be "black owned", but its black founded and run.

Viacom rules BET! The 1st thing they did was cancel BET news with ed gordon, Our Voices with bev smith, Teen Summit with prince dajuir and ananda lewis (crush material), Night time with tavis smiley and BET news sunday!(In other words, all the shows that kept the black community informed on current events)

Then they amped up the music videos and comedy shows! Then they came up with a ghetto show called cita's world!

Bob johnson's protests fell on deaf ears!

Viacom dropped 3 billion to let the same people do the same ol' same ol'? You're smarter than that!

As for the jews! They weren't almost exterminated! And they were european jews (white) and the original black falasha jews are treated like what? Here's a hint: another word for "poop"

Before you throw the "Africans sold africans" thing out there, keep in mind that there was over 500 years of tribal wars between africans and europeans to keep slavery from taken place! Africans started selling out toward the end of that period when europeans finally got the upper hand on the continent!

Queen n'zinga kicked a lot of european booty back in the day, so give the black queen her props!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Why the hell would they want to cover the RNC?

For all 37 black Republicans in the country?

Most black Americans have little interest in a party in the grip of a far right wing that constantly promotes the idea that they're all genetically inferior criminals and welfare cheats

Next you'll be telling us it's 'reverse racism' that they don't cover KKK conventions?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
God damn Americans! get over it already! No one cares about race except ye!!!!!!!!!! Leave it at the side of the road and drive on for f*** sake!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grand Puba

Do you believe that if there was an all white TV station that proudly claimed to be all white, that there would be people complaining of white supremacist racism?

I'm not asking if YOU would be complaining about it. I am asking if you think there would be people complaining. Keep your bias out of it and answer honestly.

As for the editing of my post and knowing black history, I put an explanation for my edit at the bottom of my post. I am not dodging that I made a mistake. I was merely correcting it. I know all I care to know about black history. I was focusing on the main points of my argument, namely that an all white TV station would be considered racist, and did not take the time to work out the exact math. That does not mean I do not know what I am talking about.

My main point is, I do not have so much of a problem with all black TV stations as I do with the FACT that an all white TV station would be considered racist. Have all black TV stations. I don't care. All I have to do is change the channel. And frankly, I probably wouldn't watch the all white TV station either, even if I watched a decent amount of TV. But what I have a problem with is the hypocrisy. If you have a problem with there being a white channel, and a lot of people would and would call it white supremacist, white pride racism, then you should have a problem with there being an all black channel. Its the same thing.

As for your great great grandmother being a slave, tell me how that affects you? So you're going to take advantage of the fact that she was a slave and try to get special treatment and special benefits, even though you yourself haven't spent one day in slavery? Don't you think that is pretty embarrassing and degrading of what she went through to use her suffering as a means to get what you want and justify your argument?

I think it is. I think its very embarrassing, very weak and, if I were a slave, very offensive. To have people that did not spend one day in slavery, crying and complaining about oppression that has not happened to them, I would be embarrassed.

I know my feelings on black people and racism in general, and I do not have to justify it to anyone. But I am absolutely sick of black people trying to capitalize on their ancestors misery. I think its degrading and insulting to what they went through to have generation after generation of people who haven't spent one day of their lives in slavery to act as if they have suffered, all in an effort to get a free pass.

YOU have not suffered one bit. STOP keeping racism going, STOP keeping slavery memories alive and MOVE ON with the FREEDOM you have. Do something with your life instead of waiting for everyone else to appease you for an event YOU didn't go through.

[edit on 7/9/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
That's a pretty stupid idea, but shouldn't you be upset over the very fact that there is a black channel? No one would get away with having a white channel.

At the same time, it's a free market and private companies can do whatever they want within the boundaries of the law.

There is already a "White" channel its called CMT www.cmt.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Also BET is not racist, they do support white people in Hip-Hop music and also I have seen many White actors show up for guest appearances on BET
I always see people like Eminem, Justin Timberlake and even Tom Cruise on BET shows as guests.
So to say they only support black people shows that you haven't done the homework.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84

That's been pointed out a time or two, but apparently that doesn't count.
Let's face it, CMT caters to a specific demographic, and it tends to be fairly pale. Is there anything wrong with that? Of course not.

However, there's seems to be a misconception that the Democratic National Convention is a strictly black event. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will realize this is a false assumption. Unlike the Republican party whose base is largely, but not entirely white, the Democratic party is multiculturally diverse. In fact, I dare say there will be a great deal of white representation at the DNC.

So all the little hissy fits being thrown around here that stereotypically paint the DNC as a black event, are obviously wrong in their animosty towards BET.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Do you believe that if there was an all white TV station that proudly claimed to be all white, that there would be people complaining of white supremacist racism?

I'm not asking if YOU would be complaining about it. I am asking if you think there would be people complaining. Keep your bias out of it and answer honestly.

As for the editing of my post and knowing black history, I put an explanation for my edit at the bottom of my post. I am not dodging that I made a mistake. I was merely correcting it. I know all I care to know about black history. I was focusing on the main points of my argument, namely that an all white TV station would be considered racist, and did not take the time to work out the exact math. That does not mean I do not know what I am talking about.

My main point is, I do not have so much of a problem with all black TV stations as I do with the FACT that an all white TV station would be considered racist. Have all black TV stations. I don't care. All I have to do is change the channel. And frankly, I probably wouldn't watch the all white TV station either, even if I watched a decent amount of TV. But what I have a problem with is the hypocrisy. If you have a problem with there being a white channel, and a lot of people would and would call it white supremacist, white pride racism, then you should have a problem with there being an all black channel. Its the same thing.

As for your great great grandmother being a slave, tell me how that affects you? So you're going to take advantage of the fact that she was a slave and try to get special treatment and special benefits, even though you yourself haven't spent one day in slavery? Don't you think that is pretty embarrassing and degrading of what she went through to use her suffering as a means to get what you want and justify your argument?

I think it is. I think its very embarrassing, very weak and, if I were a slave, very offensive. To have people that did not spend one day in slavery, crying and complaining about oppression that has not happened to them, I would be embarrassed.

I know my feelings on black people and racism in general, and I do not have to justify it to anyone. But I am absolutely sick of black people trying to capitalize on their ancestors misery. I think its degrading and insulting to what they went through to have generation after generation of people who haven't spent one day of their lives in slavery to act as if they have suffered, all in an effort to get a free pass.

YOU have not suffered one bit. STOP keeping racism going, STOP keeping slavery memories alive and MOVE ON with the FREEDOM you have. Do something with your life instead of waiting for everyone else to appease you for an event YOU didn't go through.

[edit on 7/9/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

I'm gonna try to answer all your questions, but keep in mind that I'm on a cellphone! I might tucker out!

1. We're on a website where people complain about ALIENS!!! So yeah, I'm sure people would complain about an all WHITE channel! I would too! Because there is no PURPOSE for an all white channel! Most channels on tv and cable are 98% white any damn way! No, I haven't taken a scientific survey, but I'm sure it's in the 90 percentile if someone has done the research!

2.As for great,great,great granny, it doesn't effect me in my daily life! That was her story! But I feel a need to not let loose of the fact that it wasn't that long ago! My great great grandmother is still alive! She's not a relic! Slavery was a national tradegy! Like when you here old folks speak of pearl harbour or when we tell our great, great grandkids about 9/11! Real talk homie!

3.See people like you (not dissin here) like to go back to 1865, but if it was all good back then we wouldn't have had a civil rights movement in the 50's and 60's! We wouldn't have had riots in boston for example to intergrate schools in the 70's! This thing called government oppression of blacks is far from over man! And I've never blamed whites! I blame the damn government 1st and then whites who wanna sympathize with the bullskit! Then minorities who wanna sell out! In that order!

Hopefully that helps!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Why the hell would they want to cover the RNC?

For all 37 black Republicans in the country?

Most black Americans have little interest in a party in the grip of a far right wing that constantly promotes the idea that they're all genetically inferior criminals and welfare cheats

So you think they should continue to be subjugated to only one point of view? They shouldn't have the opportunity to see other ideas? I gotta tell you, I think Republicans can make the case that they are better for black America.

This is coming from a right winger that wants black America to be the best it can be and flourish in this country. They are my fellow Americans and I want the best for them and everyone.

Originally posted by buds84

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
That's a pretty stupid idea, but shouldn't you be upset over the very fact that there is a black channel? No one would get away with having a white channel.

At the same time, it's a free market and private companies can do whatever they want within the boundaries of the law.

Ah ok, just point out anywhere its advertised as "white". Thanks.

CMT does in fact show black artists. This is from someone who hates country music. My girlfriend however, loves it and I've seen a few black guys on it. Not many for sure.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Ward connely, j c watts, shelby steele, thomas sowell and other black republicans appeared on BET before viacom took over!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I blame the damn government 1st and then whites who wanna sympathize with the bullskit! Then minorities who wanna sell out! In that order!

In one sentance, you have just said what i've been trying to say my entire life....and you did it much better.

You get a star, and IMO, an applause

VERY well put.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I gotta tell you, I think Republicans can make the case that they are better for black America.

Actually, the vast majority of African American voters were loyal Republicans up until the middle of the last century - the GOP was the "Party of Lincoln", remember?

Unfortunately they surrendered that loyalty when they decided to defend segregation during the Civil Rights Movement

A few Republicans recognized this was a mistake and said so (including a young George Bush Sr.) but the damage was done.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

I gotta tell you, I think Republicans can make the case that they are better for black America.

Actually, the vast majority of African American voters were loyal Republicans up until the middle of the last century - the GOP was the "Party of Lincoln", remember?

Unfortunately they surrendered that loyalty when they decided to defend segregation during the Civil Rights Movement

A few Republicans recognized this was a mistake and said so (including a young George Bush Sr.) but the damage was done.

The civil rights movement was for intergration, not segregation!

Lincoln wanted to send blacks back to africa! Blacks woke up to the republicans and hopefully they will wake up to the democrats and become independents!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Thanks man!

Peace!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join