It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black only channel will ONLY cover DNC covention.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
That's hilarious....especially if you knew me

Thats right, i must be paid by the Obama campaign to support a black guy, right?

Nah, it was a joke, admittedly in bad taste. Just...well, if you look at it, you show up right around the time Obama starts his "cyber force" to dispell online rumors and post at a huge rate, primarily supporting Obama.

But yeah. Not serious.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Yes and this one is based on race./ Geez, you guys are killing me here. You cant see that you have a different standard for racism, based on the color of the offenders skin.

The fact is, some of you support racism. You don't see it that way, but by definition you are accepting discrimination based on race.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill in this instance. BET's decision to only cover the Democratic convention is based on the fact that it is of overwhelming interest to their demographic audience. This is not a form of racism, as you are suggesting. It is just good business sense.

They are not a news media outlet. Hence, they don't have to show balanced coverage. If you want to see balanced coverage of both conventions, watch a news station, not BET.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Yes and this one is based on race./ Geez, you guys are killing me here. You cant see that you have a different standard for racism, based on the color of the offenders skin.

Actually, I think it's YOU who has a different standard for racism. Bear with me here...

If I prefer MTV because I relate to the music and I like their programming, for whatever reason, it's ok if they play what their audience likes, right? There's no talk of "music-ism" because they only play a certain type of music.

If I prefer TBN because I relate to their message and I like their programming, for whatever reason, it's ok if they air what their audience likes, right? There's no talk of "religion-ism" because they only air a certain type of religious content.

If I prefer the Sci-Fi channel because I relate to the movies and I like their shows, for whatever reason, it's ok if they play what their audience likes, right? There's no talk of "genre-ism" because they only play a certain type of show.

But when it comes to BET or TV One, the black channels, who broadcast programming that some people relate to and like, for whatever reason, it's all of a sudden NOT ok if they play what their audience likes. Why not? Why is race special? Why all the talk of "racism" because they only play a certain type of programming?

See, I think it shouldn't have a "special" category. I think that gets us into a lot of trouble.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I see. So in order to support Obama, i MUST be getting paid?

I really think people who adopt that notion (and you're not alone) are blisfully happy in their own little diluted world.

I say again

If thats who you think i am, pretty please, submit a complaint, else, shut up about it

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have a remote control that I can freely use to change the channel so I could care less about the DNC. This is a free country and if he wants to run a black program channel then so be it. If you " OP " want to run an all white channel then buy one and do it. Racism stays alive because people just won't let it be.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Well, I find "black television" offensive because it seems like racism and separatism. I'm not racist at all (back in the day, my school was about 2/3 black), and I have a lot of respect for black people who become educated and successful even though their culture discourages it. But having a "black television" or a black this or a black that, you're starting a racist separation, a sort of racial isolation. And it's wrong. There's a difference between a show about black people and black television, in the sense that the latter is exclusionary.
The amount of racism I've experienced from much of the black culture (and people in it), as a white person, is disgusting.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Well then i guess we just share different experiences.

Im of the opinion if i dont like it - ill change it.

It offends me when Brittney spears is allowed to show her gellatenous rear-end on TV. I find her disgusting and revolting.

But instead of starting a crusade against her, claiming she's destroying our youth, i change the channel.

NOW

If there was a "blacks only" resturaunt

or a "blacks only" bathroom

perhaps a "blacks only" bus

then yes, i'd say - its racism.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

If you want to see balanced coverage of both conventions, watch a news station, not BET.

Just make sure the news station you watch doesnt start with any of the following letters

• Fox News
  • MSNBC
  • CNN
  • NBC
  • ABC

Otherwise, you'll be getting biased coverage after every commercial.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill in this instance. BET's decision to only cover the Democratic convention is based on the fact that it is of overwhelming interest to their demographic audience. This is not a form of racism, as you are suggesting. It is just good business sense.

They are not a news media outlet. Hence, they don't have to show balanced coverage. If you want to see balanced coverage of both conventions, watch a news station, not BET.

This particular action isn't racist, per se, but it's a huge example of bias. Just because they're not a full-time news outlet doesn't mean that they don't have to keep their coverage balanced. It's part of professionalism in the media, and by reporting on the DNC, they are working in the professional news field. Their decision not to report on the RNC is analogous to Fox News only reporting on the RNC because that's what most of their viewerbase will want to see. It's against journalism ethics, which I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But when it comes to BET or TV One, the black channels, who broadcast programming that some people relate to and like, for whatever reason, it's all of a sudden NOT ok if they play what their audience likes. Why not? Why is race special? Why all the talk of "racism" because they only play a certain type of programming?

Okay, it's really not this. The issue of reporting the DNC but not the RNC is huge, blatantly obvious political bias, the kind that would be illegal under the Fairness Doctrine (which I still hate, thank God we're rid of it).
But BET itself is racist, well, I guess it's mainly the branding. Labeling something "white entertainment" or "black entertainment" is a racist, exclusionary form of advertisement. Its very name promotes racism. Their programming is comprised almost entirely of black people, which I think is also racist in an isolationist way, but that's their prerogative. Branding it as "black entertainment," however, is not only racially isolationist, but racially exclusionary.

This is really a continuation of my response to BH. I'm never on the bandwagon that speaks out to silence someone because they are "offensive." But I do so about BET because of how racially motivated it seems.

Right now, there are many parts of the "black community" that are highly racist, highly racially isolationist and highly racially exclusionist. A lot of those who follow this sort of culture are, well, very racist, carry a hatred for white people, and so on.

Yeah, I'm generalizing a bit. I tried to modify it by adding adjectives that make it less inclusive, so it doesn't seem like I'm talking about all black people. (And no, my edit was to fix grammar, not to add this.
)

Things, like those which are labeled "black entertainment" are adding fuel to the fire. They're making it worse. While we don't have the right to make anyone shut up against their will just because we're offended, I believe that we have the responsibility to speak out against bigotry, against racism, and hatred.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Johnmike]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

About the DNC/RNC thing. If this is political in nature, fine. I have no comment then.

I see what you are saying about BET. But to me, and through *MY* eyes, its only fueled and becomes a form of "racism" because there are people out there who let it get to them, and come to internet forums like this to complain about it.

Any time a specific "non-white christian" program comes along, a lot of "white-christians" get all flustered and ruffle their feathers.

You do not have to watch it.

It is selective to the viewing audience, which is why BET and TVone is never on at my house - because (no offense to anyone) i dont give a damn about what its showing. It has nothing to do with me.

But it doesnt offend me.

What offends me are cowardly men running around in white hoods to hide their faces, burning crosses and churches, in the name of "genetic cleansing" or whatever they claim it is these days.

What offends me is a black panther movement who claims white people need to be exterminated to further the advacenement of civilization.

And since BET and TVone show neither forms of ACTUAL racism, im fine with it, i change the channel to something i enjoy, and watch away.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

This particular action isn't racist, per se, but it's a huge example of bias. Just because they're not a full-time news outlet doesn't mean that they don't have to keep their coverage balanced.

They are not a news outlet at all. They are an entertainment channel that happens to throw in a bit of news here and there. Hence, they are not required, nor should they be, to have balanced coverage.

It's part of professionalism in the media, and by reporting on the DNC, they are working in the professional news field. Their decision not to report on the RNC is analogous to Fox News only reporting on the RNC because that's what most of their viewerbase will want to see.

This is a terrible analogy. The only thing that BET and Fox News have in common is that they both happen to be on television. BET is not a news media outlet, it is an entertainment channel, and thus not held to the same standard.

It's against journalism ethics, which I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with.

Actually, I am quite familiar with journalism ethics, as I studied journalism in college. I have even been a card carrying member of the Society of Professional Journalists.

That said, there has been no breach of journalistic integrity in this case. Just because you don't agree with BET's stance, doesn't make it wrong.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Labeling something "white entertainment" or "black entertainment" is a racist, exclusionary form of advertisement.

Let me ask you. Do you consider TBN, "religious TV" or religious music as "exclusionary"? Their programming is comprised entirely of religious people...

I'm never on the bandwagon that speaks out to silence someone because they are "offensive." But I do so about BET because of how racially motivated it seems.

Why aren't you speaking out against TBN because of how religiously motivated it is?

Why aren't you speaking out against MTV because their programming is comprised entirely of young people's music? Isn't that separatist and exclusionary to have a special channel just for young people's music?

(I used to say EXACTLY the same things you're saying, by the way.)

While we don't have the right to make anyone shut up against their will just because we're offended, I believe that we have the responsibility to speak out against bigotry, against racism, and hatred.

I would invite you to consider that the racism you're seeing is in YOUR perception, not in the fact of the existence of the channel. You say it "seems" racist to you. I'm going to say that your perception may be incorrect. (And I KNOW there are people here who remember me saying exactly what you're saying now.)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I can't speak for tv one! Never heard of it, but BET is owned by Viacom! It is NOT a black channel!

Harrison ford was on there to promote the indy movie and mike myers was on to promote the love guru!

Now that's in bad taste, but it aint racist!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Have you ever heard of CBS?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Personally. I'm all for it - maybe then I won't have to see Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton on Fox News.
This all falls under our First Amendment. No, your right, an all white channel would never get off the ground but that does not mean other channels are wrong for expressing their First Amendment rights. All it means is society is so racially sensitive that most people would not feel the least bit comfortable with anything "all white".
Correct me if I'm wrong - but an all white channel wouldn't be illegal, just untasteful like BET.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
TV One is owned by radio one, comcast corporation and direcTv!

Neither BET or TV One are Black Channels!

I think the title of the forum should be changed to...

"White owned channels targeted to blacks will only show coverage of the DNC!"

Now that's what I call racist!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I've read part of all of your posts and YOU are the one that hates WHITE people!
Why don't you reread your own threads?
You may learn something about yourself.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Imagine if Foxnews said they would only cover the GOP convention, because they were only interested in white achievement"?

While, we hold down white people and teach them that they cant be proud.

You are exactly right, my friend!

I haven't read the whole thread but I already see people making excuses for this. Its really sad and hypocritical.

Any "white only" channel would be considered racist. The White Entertainment Television channel would be considered racist. White people holding rallies for wrongfully accused and sentenced white people would be racist. A white person being as outspoken and active as someone like Al Sharpton, he would be a racist.

It seriously pisses me off. I could care less if someone is racist against me, because I'm not one to complain about some words, unlike some other people. But the ignorance, the hypocrisy and the unnecessary appeasement of blacks has gotten REAL old.

You find one black person that was born and lives in this country that has lived one day in slavery, and I'll show you someone who has a right to complain.

Since I believe that the majority, if not all, of blacks born and living in this country have not lived in slavery, I believe they have no grounds to stand on and complain.

You either want racial equality or you don't. Being so ignorant as to see no problem with a black only television station, and think a white only television station is racist is not racial equality.

It was 143 years ago and no black person alive anywhere in the world suffered from that slavery time period. Get over it.

EDITED: years ago number to help some people focus on the important details

[edit on 7/9/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Yeah, yer so right. I hate white people. I *am* white, so i guess i should pray for a skin disease that turns my skin dark....:shk:

What i hate is STUPID people.

I can't stand it when racism is fueled by racism.

If you dont like BET - Change the god *snip* channel

Do you expect Rush Limbaugh to cover african americans in politics?
He is, after all, a political entertainment show.

What makes me "hate" "all white people"?

Personally - i can't believe the sweltering ignorance in you even deciding to post your garbage

but what i find more striking is that it received stars.

Dislike me all you want. Its not about "hating" white people, or "loving" black people.

It *is* about preaching for people like you to shut the bleep up about issues that dont matter

They have BET and TVone

Big deal.

if it bothers you so much - go invest your money in "white TV"

im sure there are a few Klan members in your neighborhood who would support the cause.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Black chattel slavery ended in 1865!

The fact that you said it ended "over 200" years ago shows that you are very ignorant on the subject that you foolishly rail against!

Let it go homie!

Peace!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join