It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Fires Artillery Shells into Northern Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Iran Fires Artillery Shells into Northern Iraq

edition.cnn.com

Iranian artillery shells rained down on villages in northern Iraq Wednesday where Kurdish rebels were thought to be operating.

The early-morning shelling hit border villages in Qandil mountains area in Sulaimaniya province and there were no reports of casualties.

A security official with Iraq's Kurdish Regional Government in Sulaimaniya confirmed the information.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
canadianpress.google.com
www.france24.com
www.istockanalyst.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Report: Iran Begins War Game With Warning to U.S., Israel
Iran Test-Fires Missile Capable of Hitting Israel, U.S. Bases
Iran blames West for 'artificially' raising oil prices, says war threat is a 'joke'

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There is not much on the MSM media or anywhere else on this yet, the story broke about twenty minutes ago from CNN/AP.

The Iranians are targeting Kurdish separatists in the region.

The Kurdish issue affects both Iraq, Syria, Iran and Turkey and is another thorn in the side to any stability in the region.

The Kurds ave the support of the US and UK military, after their help with the first and second Gulf War's, especially the marsh Arabs.

Thankfully there seems to have been no causalities.

With the tension building in the area the War games and Saber Rattling this is really worrying.

If such an event where to hit any type of American Military the repercussions could be horrendous.

It does not take much for events like these to lead us to full confrontation, and we don't know yet if this is just a publicity stunt of probing of the area by the Iranians.

There was a shootout in the Area a few days ago with the Iranians. Iran has tightened its border with Iraq and especially in this area.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Shelling Iraq, hmmm...

That's about the same as throwing rocks over Bush's back fence, right?

With all of the itchy trigger fingers, how long will it take before one of those rocks smashes a window?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Tezza exactly my concern, on both sides.

Look at the amount of friendly on friendly fire in the gulf fiasco. If with modern laser guided etc weapons such inaccuracies exit, in the heat of the moment too a mistake is easily made.

The Iranians could be having eyes on this territory region too, both because of its strategic position vis a vis turkey etc and to secure their border from the US and UK in the north.

Elf

[edit on 9-7-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
But...Ahmadinejad said there wouldn't be a war at all. Period. Then again, the Iraq War was based on lies from the Bush Administration, so...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
so its perfectly fine for the PKK to kill turk`s , iranians and syrian`s , and be outlawd around the world , but when they want to do anything about it either of teh countries are suddenly the bad guy for fighting back?

the exuberance of the hypocrisy is most delapidating.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This has been happening for some time, Iran shell the Kurdish regularly.
Youd think if anything the MSM Would be using this against Iran, but they arent even bothering with that.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This article only ran as propaganda inserted into the media.

The CIA has a practice of retaining free-lancers and "stringers" as informants. CIA acknowledges that "stringers" and others with whom the Agency has a relationship are often directed to insert Agency-composed "news" articles into foreign publications and wire services. U.S. intelligence officials do not rule out the possibility that these planted stories may find their way into American newspapers from time to time, but insist that CIA does not intentionally propagandize in this country.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Azurus

yep look at my sig I totally agree with regard to spin and media manipulation, However if this was a flase flag without a doubt normal irgis or coalition forces would ahve been involved and it would be top of "breaking news" everywhere, as directed by fox etc.

This though does seem to be the real deal.

A security official with Iraq's Kurdish Regional Government in Sulaimaniya confirmed the information.

if its spun its spun completely and properly!

regards,

elf

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Looks like there's a kurdish offensive of some kind going on.

africa.reuters.com...

Also in Turkey, three German tourists were kidnapped by Kurdish guerrillas, broadcaster CNN Turk reported a local governor as saying.

main story on the consulate attack:

edition.cnn.com...

From what I know about the history of Kurdish activities in the region, I'd be willing to bet that the three incidents are linked. The US has been doing everything it can to keep the Turks from invading Northern Iraq for a few years now.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

like the United states said
the US has every right to hunt down terrorist threats that pose a threat to the security of the US and its allies.

Iran is just doing the same

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Sorry brodul but in Bushes books of international one side laws, what Iran is doing, that is call terrorism.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The images CNN has posted, which is what the Iran Media has posted, look stright out of Terminator 3. I think we found our stepping stone to get America behind the Iran offence. So sad but true. I have been saying this for a long time:

We are going to fall for it again. Iran is going to "attack" our Naval fleet in the mediteranian and we are going to go kick the door in. the russia gets in the mix...china...the whole shabang.

We are just waiting for the knee to blow.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I don't see anything coming out of this. It's much too early to define the complicated mess of "democratic terrorists"(PCK,PJAK,PKK) It is as bodrul has stated although I think a more thoughful solution could be sought by all sides involved, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, and Syria.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
edit double post sorry.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
bDaedal4ever,

I don’t agree my friend, this issue is heating up, the whole Kurd and Marsh Arab situation is potentially more explosive in the middle east than the Jewish Palestine Problem and the Shia Sunni conflict.

I say this as you pointed out there are many factions to this issue, and it drags in most of the major players in the area, and indeed yesterday seems to have spread terrorism to turkey, for the first time in years.

The Kurds and Marsh Arab issue involves and brings to conflict, Syria, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Oman etc.

Basically the entire region is at an impasse with this issue, its not clear cut like you support the Zionists or the Palestinians, or Sunni or Shia, you could be an Arab supporting the Arab cause but also wanting to fight one faction of many from the Kurdish Groups.

We must also remember that Northern Iraq has been fairly stable since the invasion of Iraq, with little of the carnage as seen in southern Iraq. If this stable area in Iraq, maybe the only hope for the future in the country goes up in flames it truly could start all out civil war in Iraq. It could be the main issue that would, as shown in my first post, and in the sources below, draw in players to the conflict that even could eventually lead to Russia's involvement (look at a map and the pacts with Iran etc) even if only in covert operations.

The potential with Turkey, Iran, Syria, America, UK all in close proximity, with very unclear demarcation of sides, and who is who, who is the enemy could soo easily lead to a big F**ck up. I really can see the potential that for example an Iranian shell landed on coalition forces by accident.

The potential for mistakes and quickly overreacting action spiraling out of control is very real here. Think friendly fire! never mind when you don’t know who the enemy is!

STANBUL, Turkey (AP) — Turkish warplanes attacked Kurdish rebels in Iraq's north on Tuesday, killing a group of guerrillas gathered at a mountain cave, the military said.

Firat News, a pro-Kurdish news agency, said the bombing was immediately followed by shelling by Iranian forces. Turkey's military has said Turkey and Iran at times coordinate strikes against Kurdish rebels who use bases in northern Iraq as a springboard for attacks on their countries.

AP

Blood On The Streets Bombs in Turkey
Late Sunday evening, two bombs exploded in a busy pedestrian-only street in the working class neighbourhood of Gungoren in the heart of Istanbul. A total of 17 people were killed and over 150 injured.

Al Arham the veiw from eqypt

However as usual though there is spin, did the PKK carry it out? I would be surprised it seems more like Al queada or covert superpowers to me wanting to destabalise the region.

Who Did It?
But the PKK has denied involvement. And the group doesn't usually target civilians, some analysts point out, noting that the working-class neighborhood of Gungoren is populated by Kurds as well as Turks. "It could be a retaliatory attack by the PKK," says Deniz Ulke Aribogan, an international relations professor at Bahcesehir University. "But this doesn't really fit into the PKK's general strategy. PKK attacks are usually in rural areas and target security forces, rather than directed at a broad public in the city."

Time Magazine

If there is a US pullout I fear that this will allow both Iran and Turkey to invade northern Iraq to "secure" their borders and security.

Deepening the lines of difference being propagated in the middle east, I personally believe it would take away the small slither of hope we have for the Arab Israeli problem.

Syria would then truly be in a awkward situation, the US cant stop turkey from doing this, as we need them to conduct operations in the area, strategically, this is the hidden smoking gun of any world war escalation or deepening conflict.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's actually quite ironic to see Iran turning on the Kurds.

First off the Kurdish people are an Iranian people. They speak an Iranian language quite similiar to Persian (Farsi). They're by majority Shiite like Iran. Their original ancestral homeland is in Iran.

And not too long ago Iran was supporting the Kurdish militias and separatists in Iraq as a means of destabilising Saddam.

Khomeini gave huge amounts of support and weaponry to the Kurds during the Iran-Iraq conflict during the 1980's, to wage war against Iraqi supporters in the rural areas.

Hence why Saddam gassed the Kurds in the 1987 Al-Anfal campaign, as payback for supporting the enemy.

I can see though why their stance has changed, the PKK is a very radicalised, Kurdish movement that wants complete independence and huge chunks of Iraq, Iran and Turkey as parts of their homeland.

They don't have majority support among the Kurds; their akin to Al-Qaeda and Islam. A minority faction.

Nevertheless though they have a lot of influence in Northern Iraq and have been aggressively attacking Turkish and Iranian interests.
(Usually covertly through terrorism.)

Iran and Turkey are both sending a message here to the extremists who have been meddling with their country's affairs in the past.

I think Iran has every justification to maintain the integrity of their borders and stop separatist movements from spreading to Iran.

[edit on 2/8/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

top topics

join