It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does McCain think his war record matters? Does it make him better?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

Actually Lincoln served in his states Militia as a younger man. Truman served as an artillary officer during wwI. Not sure about the other two you mentioned.

Having served in the military isn't a prerequisite for being President, but it is important as a facet of ones life...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is just one of the repub talking points.McCain has said he knows how to win wars.How a few years being a pow helps him know how to win wars is beyond me.They like to try and make him out to be Washington or Eisenhower.
However he is neither.Eisenhower by the way warned us to keep an eye on the military industrial complex.In all it makes no difference anyhow whether McCain or Obama gets elected as they both belong to the corporate party.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I guess it matters for the same reason that the Democrats thought George Bush's Air National Guard service disqualified him from the presidency.

How a person deals with adversity, both at the time and afterward, says a lot about that person's character.

To a lot of us old fogies, character counts as one dimension of the qualifications for the presidency.

About ten years ago, I read the results of a poll on whether character counts for a president. In that poll, an alarming number of respondents thought not.

I don't really know what to say about that or those who today don't seem to even know what character is, much less why it would be important.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join