It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Embarrassed by single language Americans

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Nice chart Jamie, that says it all. They should be learning to speak English instead of the other way around. English is clearly the predominate language across the board of all major industrial countries.

How Obama and his wife even got this far just goes to show you how easy it is to buy into hype for many people.

You can thow facts and logic at 'em all day long and they just come back with the most outlandish BS in response. They don't even stop to question Obama. They're just so caught up in "change, hope and unity".

The sad part is, Obama isn't even good at it. His lack of attention to detail isn't good.

It's no wonder a buddy of mine who went to college and got a Law degree said he was ashamed to be in those classes. I asked, why? He said, "because most people in those classes are dumb. It requires little to no problem solving like the engineering, science and math disciplines".

[edit on 10-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

1. Where does Obama say he is embarassed -- those seem to be your words.

2. I'll say it, I'm ashamed that many Americans only speak a single language -- a quick trip through, well, almost anyplace else in the world would probably make you feel the same way.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
i hope he does get elected to office and does a worse job than bush.

I'm sure he WILL be elected ... and ... I'm sure he WILL do a worse job.
Of those two things I have no doubt.

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
John Mccain supports all of the following...

And those are some of the reasons why I won't be voting for McCain.

Originally posted by xEphon
Unless I'm missing something it IS a little embarassing that most Americans can't speak two languages while most Europeans can...

That 'something that you missed' is called geography and demographics. Europeans all live on top of each other in small countries that speak different languages. They NEED to learn Italian, French, German ... However, English is the primary language of America and Canada. SPANISH is the second language and that is what is primarily taught in the schools these days. There are usually other choices to go with it, but SPANISH is what is needed as a second language in America - not those other EURO languages.

Obama fails to understand that Spanish IS being taught in the schools (along with other choices)

Obama fails to understand that Americans do not need to learn a whole new language to go on a family vacation to Europe once or twice in their lifetime.

Obama fails to understand that many of those Americans who choose to go to Europe DO speak the languages.

Obama fails to remember that God invented little phrase books for these occassions.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
I think we're the only country that has citizens that arrogant.

You don't get out much, do you? Never been to the French speaking part of Canada or to the country of France, have ya? I have. SNOBS!!

Originally posted by onlyhurtsu
But our schools arent any help. They should teach us froeign languages in 1st grade not high school.

All the schools around here start Spanish in Kindergarden. Even the YMCA has Spanish for the kids who go to the daycare and the preschool classes.

For the record - I took Spanish from 6th grade up through high school. Now - almost 30 years later - I remember very little of it. I also took Japanese and lived in Japan for 3 years. ALL of that is gone out of my memory. If you don't use it then you forget it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
From the OP's link,

"You are so much more employable. You can be part of international business."

, oh really, golly-gee whoopee, just what I always wanted to do, speak a foreign language so that I can offer my services to Global Conglomerations that don't give a sh!t about anything but Profit-Margins.

No thanks, not interested, Senator Barack ( I have the support of Zbigniew Brzezinski, the CFR, the Tri-Lateral Commision, and the Bilderbergers) Obama.

I think it's great for one to be multi-lingual, just not for the same reasons Obama apparently does.

A substitution of the phrase 'Profit-Worshipping, Multi-National Corporate Masters' for 'international business' in the above quote is more accurate, imo.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

[edit on 10-7-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Europeans HAVE to know several languages; they're surrounded by different countries! I live in New York and if they spoke German in New Jersey and French in Connecticut, I would probably speak German and French too.

This is the first time I have ever heard people debate about whether or not it was a bad idea to learn something new. What possible harm can come from children learning to communicate with other people across the globe. You guys are REALLY REACHING on this non issue.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso
How come he can talk about everyone and everything BUT....

We can’t talk about his big ears 'cause that makes him nervous,

We can't talk about his mother,

Of course you LIFTED THIS directly from Rush Limbaugh and hoped people would think you were original. Try giving Rush credit next time. He is an utter idiot by the way so I can understand your reluctance to show where you got the list. How inane and unoriginal. In the midst of the most important election of our generation...RUSH WANTS TO TALK ABOUT OBAMA'S MOTHER OR EARS? BTW - Karl Rove commented saying on Rush Limbaugh's commentary with this comment........ If Rush engages on an issue, it gives others courage to engage.......Oh yes, it takes courage to talk about a candidate's ears or his mother. What DESPERATE PETTINESS the republicans are showing.

And by the way...you can talk about anything concerning Obama, but if it is Bulls*&t or irrelevant expect anyone with a sense of honor or a respect for truth to take issue with it wether they are an Obama supporter or not.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I liked the list! I also listen to Rush! I don't know how many times that I hear a political story, I form my own opinion, then I tune into Rush, and he is saying the same thing I was thinking! That is why Rush is so popular! He says the things that most were already thinking!

BTW Obama wants us to learn Spanish? I got some Spanish "lingo" for him! Hasta la vista Hussein! Can't wait to use that phrase!

[edit on 10-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's sad.. It seems as if there's little about the United States of America that Barack and Michelle Obama are proud of.

Why would someone with such an a negative attitude about their country and fellow citizens want to be the President?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Originally posted by August Sonereal

Is it so wrong that Americans don't learn as least Spanish as Spanish and English are the two most widespread languages in the Americas?

What idiots-disguised-as-intellectuals do is create stereotypes like "typical white person" or "typical Europeans."

Notice that France and Germany aren't in the top 50.

Source

NO What "idiots disguised as intellectuals do" is show crazy flawed lists and statistics and cite them as proof.

Do you realize according to those statistics on that page....NO ONE in Germany or France speaks English?

WHY? Because THE STATISTICAL DATA ON THAT SITE DOES NOT HAVE ANY DATA FOR GERMANY OR FRANCE and MANY other NATIONS. Go to the web page and select map to see what countries they have data for.

GOOD JOB once again using FLAWED DATA to support a BS attack on Obama.

Always hoping someone won't look to carefully, right Jamie? You think very little of the intelligence of the people you are trying to convince when you keep pitching BS like this.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well single language Americans are embarrassed by Obama. Arrogant communist.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

I liked the list! I also listen to Rush! I don't know how many times that I hear a political story, I form my own opinion, then I tune into Rush, and he is saying the same thing I was thinking! That is why Rush is so popular! He says the things that most were already thinking!

BTW Obama wants us to learn Spanish? I got some Spanish "lingo" for him! Hasta la vista Hussein! Can't wait to use that phrase!

How about countries south of America might want us to learn Spanish? Since the official languages of a lot of countries to the south of Spanish. (the US has no official language, English is de facto).

Its very arrogant to assume that the world needs to make English their second language if Americans aren't willing to have a 2nd language, and given the fact that America is one of the most diverse countries in the world, its strange.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by August Sonereal

How about countries south of America might want us to learn Spanish? Since the official languages of a lot of countries to the south of Spanish. (the US has no official language, English is de facto).

Its very arrogant to assume that the world needs to make English their second language if Americans aren't willing to have a 2nd language, and given the fact that America is one of the most diverse countries in the world, its strange.

The language of business, the language of money is English! The burden is on them, not us.

America is a melting pot, not a diversity stew.

It is sad that English is not the official language of America. Unfortunately every time it comes up, liberals defeat it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

..I hear a political story, I form my own opinion, then I tune into Rush, and he is saying the same thing I was thinking! That is why Rush is so popular! He says the things that most were already thinking!

Thank you for posting this. This says a GREAT DEAL about right wing mentality. It is a perfect example of someone seeking out reinforcement for an skewed opinion or view on an issue rather than objectively examining an issue. In DC this is called the BUBBLE THAT SURROUNDS BUSH. He is surrounded by people that reinforce his views and fires those that disagree

I would suggest next time you hear a story and form an opinion, check a few different news sources or google around and gut check what you were told rather than turn to someone with extreme views like Rush or anyone on the far left for that matter for the simple comfort of feeling like you are right.

Having your opinion reinforced by Rush may be comforting, but checking several sources concerning an issue and coming to an objective opinion as best you can will prevent you from being brainwashed and make you better versed to discuss your views.

No he does not say the things that most people are thinking. He says the things that people like yourself are thinking.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
im an American
i grew up in Texas

i had to learn Spanish (2years), French(3years), and Latin(2years)

so i guess obama is a complete tard afterall

Brash generalizations, whats next ? Spit on my face and call it rain? wtf

i mean seriously people would elect an idiot that makes pointless generalizations like this? maybe hes embarassed for himself, cuz i can speak LATIN a dead language for over 1000years

i can read it too

and i was one of the mid-range students in the courses

in texas 3years of other languages was Required! or u dont get a diploma!

maybe this obama fellow (and every other politician) needs to actually visit normal america and see how things REALLY work....

anyways, on another note, that grammer nazi on page one missed several punctuation marks

i love the irony

But....do you actually use what you have learned?

Being Mexican/American it's a given that I know spanish. So lucky me.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Most of our great Presidents only knew English. John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and others.

Even if you could decipher Manderine Chinese, you'd be hard-pressed to have understood it correctly. It's why we have Contracts. You read what you and sign what you agree too. The beauty of Contracts is they can be spelled out and translated between multiple languages, all done by computer.

You have missed my point. Contracts are the END RESULT of negotiations. See, there's a couple of Chinese across the table. One sees a weakness that can be exploited to their advantage. He easily communicates with his/her partner. Now you've lost money. Can you do the same though? Nope, they understand your language.

Give me a break.

Trying to dude. Btw, what's wrong with bettering yourself? Knowledge is power.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Actually I'm rather embarassed by it to. And personally, I think it is the *single* biggest factor as to why Americans are on the tail end of the intellect spectrum these days.

If you look at the rest of the globe, on average, the *majority* of populations from different nations speak more than one language.

There are concepts and perspectives you just can not grasp until you have gone through the process of learning another language.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Oh look...

A whole lot of nothing!...

I see the outrage factory is firing on all 3 cylinders now!!

Have you even seen neurons erode and unravel so fast in your entire life... My god...

Whats next?..

Something even more pathetic for $200 Alex...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

it's a good thing that you don;'t have to know how to spell they're/their/there

cause they all sound the same, we are talking about SPEAKING here people.

BTW: English is the official universal business language. all you NEED to know is english, everything else is purely voluntary, i shouldn't have to spend my time learning another language just cause someone jumped the border, and i don't know how to tell him to get off the gov't teet in spanish.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
I think it is the *single* biggest factor as to why Americans are on the tail end of the intellect spectrum these days.

So you think that Americans are on the tail end of the intellect spectrum and that they are there because those who go on family vacation to Europe don't bother to learn German, Italian or French for their trip?

Uh .... okay.

If you look at the rest of the globe, on average, the *majority* of populations from different nations speak more than one language.

You didn't read the thread, did you?

- People in Europe live in small countries all mushed up against each other. They NEED to learn German, Italian and French.

- Here in America 2nd languages are offered, and in most cases mandated, by the school system.

- Also, here in America SPANISH makes more sense for us because THAT is what is mostly spoken behind English and because that's the language of our neighboring country to the South.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join