Obama Embarrassed by single language Americans

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Obama can go F himself and go to another country. belittling his own people. America's primary language is enlgish, he should get over it and stop trying to get the spanish vote. i wouldnt be surprised if he tried to get illegal immigrants voting rights too.

i hope he does get elected to office and does a worse job than bush.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm embarrassed too. Considering that more people in this world speak Chinese and Spanish, I would assume all Americans learn a 2nd language.

No matter what some may say, knowing multiple languages gives people advantages.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
Obama can go F himself and go to another country. belittling his own people. America's primary language is enlgish, he should get over it and stop trying to get the spanish vote. i wouldnt be surprised if he tried to get illegal immigrants voting rights too.

i hope he does get elected to office and does a worse job than bush.

wow.......i seriously dont know what to say to that first sentance...

And actually - 'giving illegal immigrants voting rights' is a conservative ideal

In fact, where conservative value stand for this election, John Mccain supports all of the following

--Illegal immigrants are Gods children as well. (Nov 2007)
--Change rule barring immigrants from running for president. (May 2007)
--Make possible for immigrants to do a job Americans wont do. (Oct 2004)
--More help for legal immigrants when immigrating & once here. (Jul 1998)
--Voted YES on declaring English as the official language of the US government. (Jun 2007)
--Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. (May 2006)
-- Just go look at the list, he is an idiot.

1.) Illegal immigration and God is church and state. I believe in God, and God believes in Law. If they wanna come here, they should abide by the law to do so.

2.) This is the stupidest thing ever said by any politician, anywhere.

3.) You name me any job, what so ever, that is available in this country, and i PROMISE you, i could find an American citizen in my own town who would do it.

4.) How about more help for people already here?

5.) We are the self-proclaimed greatest country on earth, yet only can speak one language? Bi-lingualism is a true sign of intellectual fortitutde in my opinion.

6.) You have seriously got to be kidding me? Allow people who have no right to be here...to...use our rights?

7.) Yeah, seriously, just go look for yourself, not much there but stupid contradictions. This guy is a poser.

Source

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree with you about Chinese. Over the centuries, people learned a second language for economic reasons, that is, to be able to conduct business, or political reasons, such as learning English because England controlled them.
I fail to see how learning Spanish falls into either of these two categories.
Mexico, and much of Latin America, have very little to give, in the way of economic help, and Mexico and Latin America don't hold sway over us yet, at least. Usually, it's the people that are on the short end of the stick that learn the language of those with the advantage. Does Obama want us to be submissive to Latin America? We have more to offer Hispanic immigrants, than they have to give us. They should learn OUR language, if they want to succeed, not the other way around. The children we adopted from Latin America learned ENGLISH only, and in fact, none of them chose to learn Spanish. That was THEIR choice, by the way. We had no influence on that choice.
Obama seems to want us to become a second class country, as several other posters mentioned. I don't think we should allow that to happen. God help us if he is elected.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

So, learning to speak a language just because its the 2nd most widespread language in the world is stupid, eh?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Uhm...
Unless I'm missing something it IS a little embarassing that most Americans can't speak two languages while most Europeans can...isn't the USA supposed to be #1~ or does that not apply to things of intelligent nature...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

Thank you! Europeans are learning multiple languages such as English, French, German, and maybe some others.

Is it so wrong that Americans don't learn as least Spanish as Spanish and English are the two most widespread languages in the Americas?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by August Sonereal

I don't think it is so wrong. It's just tough getting that to sink into the 'America is the center of the universe' mentality that a lot of people are in. I went to Mexico on vacation and I visited a shop where there were other Americans buying typical touristy stuff. These people actually got mad when the shop employee couldn't answer a question they had in english...as i'm sure has happened all over the world.
I think we're the only country that has citizens that arrogant.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by xEphon]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Really? Am I on that many ignore lists at this point? A lot of Americans speak foreign languages, and every student learns them. Sorry we don't travel THOUSANDS of miles to go and practice it daily. That is how someone stays fluent.

So is he saying we should travel more?

Why is everyone ignoring my point about our own second language in this country? Are the deaf issues falling on deaf ears? And there really is no pun there.

CAN OBAMA SIGN? MILLIONS OF VOTING AMERICANS DO!!

But as I said before, REAL issues are ignored. Some of you are really sad.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
i thought at one time that speaking another language wouldnt benefit me. but then i met this guy playing basketball.he was spanish and didnt know english. and i didnt know spanish. so we taught eachother some of eachothers languages. it was pretty cool. my point is that some people dont realize that speaking another language is good to know. like myself, until something like this happens. being from a town where i dont see too many of the international people here, its pretty unnecassary, at least in this town. if required to learn another language, it should be one that you would use in your general area, right?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think it's funny how many people seem surprised by this.

Obama isn't quite looking like such a flawless option, now, is he?

Meanwhile, the real news of his shredding of the Constitution goes largely unnoticed, and many seem blissfully unaware of how much "more of the same" they have bought into this presidential election cycle. ( Link. )

Good luck with that whole change thing.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by loam]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I personally feel that it is important for american kids to be more multilingual than their parents. The question is what mix, English and what.

But it could be certain that in the future, american children will take mandarin as a second language. Either mandarin or spanish.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yep, we are a bunch of fat lazy fools. Yes its only a generalization.

But our schools arent any help. They should teach us froeign languages in 1st grade not high school.

The real issue is that so many americans dont want to learn another language. It was the most exciting thing ive ever done, go to another country and learn a language. Its the fact that we have no curiosity for culture beyond our own that scares me.

ITs the same thing with lack of traveling. OR so many fools going to vegas or the american Cancun or whatever. Dude go somewhere real. I can spend a month in SE asia for what people pay in one week in the bahamas.

Dude , obama, many french refuse to learn english, so the merci beaucoup thing is kind of lame.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by August Sonereal

Is it so wrong that Americans don't learn as least Spanish as Spanish and English are the two most widespread languages in the Americas?

No, it's not wrong to learn a second language.

What's wrong is Obama saying he's embarrassed of his fellow Americans based on a bigoted generalizations about Americans and Europeans that are not even correct.

What idiots-disguised-as-intellectuals do is create stereotypes like "typical white person" or "typical Europeans." Well it looks like Obama overstated his impression of Europeans as well. Here's a chart of number of people per capita who speak English:

Notice that France and Germany aren't in the top 50.

Source

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyhurtsu
Yep, we are a bunch of fat lazy fools.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about how Obama's pissed off because Americans set their thermostats at 72 degrees, eat whatever we want, and drive SUVs.

Now Obama's pissed off because we're not listening to Rosetta Stone CDs while we're driving our SUV.

How can somebody (along with his wife) who has so much disdain for Americans be so close to being the next POTUS?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Obama isn't quite looking like such a flawless option, now, is he?

I think you'll find there's maybe one or two people here (myself EXCLUDED) that has ever said Obama was flawless

you base your assumptions off of what MSM says

thats a dnagerous thing to do.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyhurtsu
Yep, we are a bunch of fat lazy fools. Yes its only a generalization.

But our schools arent any help. They should teach us froeign languages in 1st grade not high school.

The real issue is that so many americans dont want to learn another language. It was the most exciting thing ive ever done, go to another country and learn a language. Its the fact that we have no curiosity for culture beyond our own that scares me.

ITs the same thing with lack of traveling. OR so many fools going to vegas or the american Cancun or whatever. Dude go somewhere real. I can spend a month in SE asia for what people pay in one week in the bahamas.

Dude , obama, many french refuse to learn english, so the merci beaucoup thing is kind of lame.

cant teach it to first graders if we dont got the money to do so.

Prime example: the 'fine' govenor of my home state of Illinois just cut funding for education/veteran benefits and (something else...cant remember) so that he could balance the budget

he..cut....fudning.......to education....

need i say more?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Why is he so ashamed of this country?

He hates the flag, hates the National Anthem, his wife just recently became proud to be an American now he is embarrassed?

He gripes yet he doesn't even say how he plans on fixing it or if he is even going to do anything about it as Prez.

What a dud.
His statement would carry more weight if he had made it in Spanish.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

What if my kid doesn’t want to learn Spanish? (she does … and is). English is the official language of this country and is ‘THE” international language (not French). She shouldn’t have to learn it if she doesn’t want to.

Actually you are wrong, The U.S. has no official language. I do think however that English should be the official language being that our Constitution etc is written in english. I also believe it is in the best interest of Americans to learn Spanish because every country south of us speaks it. Why is it that most of the rest of the world are bi-lingual? How about cause it is beneficial.... Amercians have to stop thinking that everyone should cater to us.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I have to agree with Obama, I don't like the guy but he has a point. I have been to a few outside countries (Greece,Spain,Slovenia,Italy) and noone there had a problem with speaking with me in english, some were even fluent, even the younger citizens of these countries could speak english. In grade school we do have a choice to learn a second language, but we all know it's really just a joke class. You don't really learn anything for a semester or 2 of schooling. I understand that English is the "main" language, but if these kids in less fortunate countries can learn a second language then maybe us fortunate American's can step back from American Idol a few minutes a day and actually learn somethin useful. It is emberrassing, we make it seem impossible. Roger Federer is a 26yo Swedish tennis player that can speak 5 languages.

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join