It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Embarrassed by single language Americans

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by beforetime

I guess you better teach some natural born Americans how to speak English also. Some of them can't be understood either. I see your point. I feel that you can talk any language you want but I agree that all government business should be in English only. As far as businesses I am on the sidelines because each one caters to different groups.

i understand every person in america when they speak English.
southern northern... u name it

Ebonics's is not English lol fo shizzle my nizzle lol

When you are forced to learn 2 languages to work at MCdonald's as a good 5% of america does lol...thats messed up folks .....sorry.

the American worker's didn't go to Mexico get a job at mcdonalds and say speak English or u cant order no bigmac today.

2 language's will not help the common everyday worker in america.

they need to enforce English is America's language period.
speak it or get the heck out period.
If it offends ya back to burritoville buddy.

i can see visitor's like people going to Disneyland yes they need to speak many language's ect...
THEY ARE VISITOR'S in our country.
Respect them and help them ect..

immigrant's are a different story folk' .
they need to be forced to learn English ..not the other way around.

trying to accommodate people only goes so far.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yes Americans are sadly lacking foreign language skills. French, German ans Spanish are resonably easy languages to learn and the average student in America should be able to pick them up. However apart from Spanish the others aren't very useful. I chose a different path and learnt Mandarin a language exceptionally harder than any European language. It paid off though, I am reasonably fluent and gained a lot of respect from the Chinese from being able to speak in their tongue.

Nothing erks me more than seeing the stereotypical loud american thinking that if he talks louder to someone or down to someone that they are going to magically undrstand. I saw this many times in China nad thought to myself no wonder there sin't much respect for Americans overseas.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
not only do you overuse the quote feature (against T&C) but you post one liners (also against T&C)

.. and YOU constantly insult people and use degrading language.
Glass houses Mr. Wiggin ....

Originally posted by maybereal11
will you ever not distort and remove context in one of these Obama threads? MSM hasn't covered this because it is NOT NEWS.

WRONG. The MSM had it on TV this morning. I couldn't find it in print on the internet. Oh .. and as to if this is 'news' or not .. that's subjective. Its' worthy of discussion on an internet chat forum.

He says "it's embarrasing" not that he is "embarrassed by Americans."

Same thing. He's embarrassed by what HE THINKS Americans do. (and it's definately not clear that Americans actually do what he says)

Geez its exhausting seeing your threads.

Then go take your nap
Nighty-night.

AGAIN -

- Obama is embarrassed because HE THINKS Americans traveling in Europe can't speak the language.

- He's talking about Americans traveling in Europe who go for a vacation. They DO NOT NEED to learn a whole second language for a family vacation in Europe. (this is why God invented little phrase books!)

- For the most part, people in America DO learn a second language in school. Usually it's Spanish which is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to learn in this country then French or German.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

"burritoville"? And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously...

If you want to make a point, you needn't be quite so, rude isn't the word I'd normally use, but it'll do for this purpose...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

they need to enforce English is America's language period

I agree and that is why I pointed out that Obama voted against it. However, I believe it should be enforced only when conducting government business. As far as private businesses it should be left up to them what language they want to use. Everybody has to deal with the government and instead of taking their driver license in their native language they will be forced to learn English to pass the test in English. This doesn't mean English only should be enforced in public. One should have the right to talk in any foreign language he or she desires.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

"burritoville"? And you wonder why you aren't taken seriously...

If you want to make a point, you needn't be quite so, rude isn't the word I'd normally use, but it'll do for this purpose...

lol i got mexicans married into my family...

they call me a sandwich lol

and we both laugh so take it in stride my friend.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime

I guess you better teach some natural born Americans how to speak English also. Some of them can't be understood either.

Ebonics's is not English lol fo shizzle my nizzle lol

Ebonics is not English?

So that explains why there is no Miss Ebonics Beauty Pageant, I guess no one wants to be identified as Miss Idaho.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
How come he can talk about everyone and everything BUT....

We can’t talk about his big ears 'cause that makes him nervous,

We can't talk about his mother,

We can't talk about his father.

We can't talk about his grandmother unless he does, brings her up as a "typical white person."

We can't talk about his wife,

We can't talk about his preacher,

We can't talk about his terrorist friends,

We can't talk about his voting record,

We can't talk about his religion.

We can't talk about appeasement.

We can't talk about color; we can't talk about lack of color.

We can't talk about race.

We can't talk about bombers and mobsters who are his friends.

We can't talk about schooling.

We can't talk about his name, "Hussein."

We can't talk about his lack of experience.

We can't talk about his income.

We can't talk about his flag pin.

This started out we can't call him a liberal.

It started out we just couldn't talk about his ears.

Now we can't say anything about him.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DoBravery

Sorry, I work in the hotel business and deal with many people from many different countries every day. There are quite a few that I have to get an interpreter for, not nearly as many people speak English in other countries as a lot of people think. Even if they do speak English, not all of them speak it well enough to converse in any kind of understandable manner.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, English is not the official language of the U.S.A.. There is no official language here because its not written in any of our books sadly to say. It seems that congress just cannot pass a bill for that one being afraid that they will lose some of the foreign speaking constituants. It seems that the Spanish speaking people do no have a second language program in their countries so why should we. Besides, English is the main language of business in the western world. When I was younger any other language spoken in the U.S. was considered bad form even tho I did speak another language with a heavy accent so I had to take speak classed in school to get over it. I still speak as if I have a accent somewhat but my English is quite good. Better than most English speaking people I am told.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Let him be embarrassed, he's not that eloquent without preparation. I'd like to learn Sudovian, the language of MY elders, so I could email his campaign party and REALLY tell him what I think.

So I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know a second language- BIG WHOOP! Those who don't speak English around me are at an equal disadvantage so.........you say Poe-tate-oh and I say Poe-Tau-toe, its all the same crap!

Try to have a nice day in ANY language.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The point is, this is just more elitist attitude from Sen. Obama. I speak three languages, and sign language.

Speaking on that subject, why isn't the good Senator worried about communicating with the millions of deaf in this country?

Within the deaf culture, lies the ONLY unique American that has yet to let their views be shared with the mainstream.

So why isn't that as important as learning a foreign language?

So Mr. Obama is embarrased, just like Kate Hudson was, by those that choose to vacation in France. Kate Hudson's "ugly American comments"

Why are you not embarrassed by the HORRIBLE tipping patterns that the foreign visitors here share?

Maybe we should focus on Americans who have no choice but to use a foreign language, (the deaf) and maybe we should begin to preach about our own customs, one that affects MILLIONS of Americans who work in the servant, er, I mean service industry?

[edit on 9-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by General Izer
I'm embarrassed by presidential candidates that open their/they're/there mouth. The whole circus of hollow men acting like they are there/they're/their to help the public is just getting real old. How many of these puppets do we have to go through/threw before people realize it's all a bunch of male bovine excrement?

You will always put up with it in the USA until enough of you decide to rise up under the Constitutional provisions of the Second Amendment and imprison all of these politicians and bureaucrats and political hack judges and prosecutors ... and redistribute their personal wealth among the People as reparation.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Latest from Rassmussen Polls:

Americans aren't buying Obama's latest elitist comments.

rasmussenreports.com...

Eighty-three percent (83%) place a higher priority on encouraging immigrants to speak English as their primary language. Just 13% take the opposite view and say it is more important for Americans to learn other languages.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You show an amazing lack of fore sight. You are in negotiations with some Chinese. They can converse with themselves and with you. They can make snap decisions just by speaking their own language, RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!!! You are at a serious disadvantage in these negotiations then. What will it cost you? Millions? Billions? Just because one is too arrogant to think that English is all you need?

Most of our great Presidents only knew English. John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and others.

Even if you could decipher Manderine Chinese, you'd be hard-pressed to have understood it correctly. It's why we have Contracts. You read what you and sign what you agree too. The beauty of Contracts is they can be spelled out and translated between multiple languages, all done by computer.

Give me a break.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have been 'seriously' disappointed with Barack of late. The wavering, the 'make sure you learn spanish'.
What the heck!
Not happy.
Big industry would love to have all Americans speak spanish to their low wage spanish cohorts.
So many dots to connect, so little time.
I've got one suggestion, carry your own KY.

'Can't talk about his ears'......hehe. Spock aint got nothin' on him.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
The point is, this is just more elitist attitude from Sen. Obama. I speak three languages, and sign language.

Speaking on that subject, why isn't the good Senator worried about communicating with the millions of deaf in this country?

Within the deaf culture, lies the ONLY unique American that has yet to let their views be shared with the mainstream.

So why isn't that as important as learning a foreign language?

So Mr. Obama is embarrased, just like Kate Hudson was, by those that choose to vacation in France. Kate Hudson's "ugly American comments"

Why are you not embarrassed by the HORRIBLE tipping patterns that the foreign visitors here share?

Maybe we should focus on Americans who have no choice but to use a foreign language, (the deaf) and maybe we should begin to preach about our own customs, one that affects MILLIONS of Americans who work in the servant, er, I mean service industry?

Really Jason? So how would you know anything about the deaf "culture" as you call it? Aren't deaf people just speaking english with their hands?

Why do you think their culture is so unique? Personally, I just think you hate Obama because you are racist...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

Really Jason? So how would you know anything about the deaf "culture" as you call it? Aren't deaf people just speaking english with their hands?

Why do you think their culture is so unique? Personally, I just think you hate Obama because you are racist...

Actually Jason, you are wrong about a ew things.

You see, three years ago, I began to take ASL (american sign language) and realized I had assumed many of the things you have.

I have many deaf friends, and have attended many deaf cultural events. I even took my only vacation the last three years, and went to visit Gallaudet University in Washington D.C.

After researching, and spending all this time with the deaf, I realized that their unique worldview was unparalleled, and lacked a comparison. Even sign language is not signed "english", but a unique language that evolves almost as much as french!

The most interesting part, however, is that they, as a group, are less affected by the constant barrage of talking heads that we have in this country, so that their ideas seem more unique, almost organic if you will.

But as I mentioned, they are an ignored group. My life goal is to have a radio program, that is simulcast on the internet for the deaf. ( I would have a separate translator for my callers) It's actually why I'm in school now.

But this group is ignored, as I guess their language is not "foreign" enough.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Whatever Jason, why can't you just bring up delib erate smear points, so that we can avoid real issues, like everybody else.

I wish I could place you on my ignore list.

(Does anyone see what this election is doing to me??!!)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I love this stuff, it's comedy gold!

Obama is saying he thinks more Americans should learn a foreign language, because it'd be good for the US economy, and because in most other industrialized countries, people do. All pretty tame, and not exactly a new issue.

Somehow the misinformation machine twists that into "Obama is embarrassed by single language Americans"

Next we'll have Obama saying something like "I'm disappointed because American students aren't doing better on standardized tests, I think we can do better" and some rightwinger will come along and turn it into a thread here entitled "Obama disappointed that Americans are morons!"

[edit on 7/9/08 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join