It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have planes always blinking lights at night??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Just one stupid question: Do planes or helicopters always have blinking lights at night??

Why I ask?! I was in my hammock on my balcony at night, smoking and looking at the stars. Then I saw a plane with blinking lights, another one and another. Then I saw just a light (like UFO) flying by, but a little bit slower then the planes before and another one but faster then the planes.
I see them almost every night. Just planes???

By the way I am from Germany

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Devilnitro28

Yes, actually, they do. As do heliocopters. They are used for line of sight navigation and to help see each other at night.
And just out of curiosity, you have NEVER seen a plane with it's lights on?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Aircraft - planes, helicopters etc have flashing lights, usually two or more.

If the light doesn't flash on and off.......? Thats open to suggestion.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I know that everything offical flying around has blinking lights and yes I saw planes before. And imagine I actually was inside planes and flying around and I even saw the lights on the wings. DAMN. I just wanted to know whats up there and has no blinking lights. Sure I can say OHH I saw UFOs but I want to get sure before I post something light that.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Yeah I think it's illegal if they don't flash blinking lights.

If they don't flash they are probably an illegal aircraft or a UFO.

By the way I'm sure you will love this thread, you will be suprised how many more see these. Including myself.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Devilnitro28

Is there a landing field near your home? The landing light can be very bright, doesn't blink, and can obscure the other lights due to position and brightness.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Sorrry, I thought you were asking if planes had lights, my bad.
Planes without lights, well, that's different. unless it's military of some kind, then yeah, you may have something.
Out of curiosity, was it a large, triangular shape?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Hi Guys

This is quite an interesting post and touches on some questions I have had recently but not had anyone to ask.

I have on numerous occasions seen what i believe to be commercial aircraft with a white slowly pulsing light on the front (going from bright and then slowly dimming to nothing and then slowly increasing to full brightness over around 2 - 3 seconds) Is this a normal type of light to be fixed to airplanes or helicopters?

I have also seen a similar light performing the same increase / decrease over 2 -3 seconds but in red. If anyone knows what type of aircraft this would be and why this type of light is used instead of the usual quick flashing lights it would be great to hear from you.

On both occasions i could not make out the usual wing tip lights or the shape of the object due to distance and light quality (both times were at dusk, the white light was while driving on a motorway)

I'm an amatuer astronomer so i know my satalites, iridium flares and the ISS.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Yes there is an airport a few miles away but the planes are not coming or going in this direction.

No sorry no triangle! Would be cool, but sorry no!
The planes (with the flash lights) I see are going or flying ether in that direction or this directions Like left to right or right to left for example, but the "things" (Just a light, looks a little bit like a star) are flying in all kinds of directions

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devilnitro28
Yes there is an airport a few miles away but the planes are not coming or going in this direction.

The planes (with the flash lights) I see are going or flying ether in that direction or this directions Like left to right or right to left for example, but the "things" (Just a light, looks a little bit like a star) are flying in all kinds of directions

Have you seen the thread I linked, the perfect thread for you.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by azonic-mantra

I'm an amatuer astronomer so i know my satalites, iridium flares and the ISS.

Hello, could you please tell me what exactly are signs of a satalite and ISS, how does it move, how fast, or do they even move?

I would love for an answer, if you could that would be great.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by Devilnitro28

Have you seen the thread I linked, the perfect thread for you.

Yes thanks Phoenix

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Hi Phoenix

Thanks for your reply and happy to provide a little more information on how to spot and identify certain celetrial objects.

In astronomy one of the first things you learn about is the scale to measure brightness called Magnitude. Every celetrial object is ranked on this scale and can help when identifying individual stars with fairly static magnitudes (Polaris 1.97 / the sun -26) and objects where magnitude will vary depending on their proximty to the earths surface (ISS between 0 to -3 and Iridium flares up to -8) Obviously the lower or more negative the number the brighter the object appears.

If you spend enough time looking at the sky and comparing magnitudes of certain objects you get quite an accurate guage of magnitudes without having to refer to the scale. There are also certain characteristics of each object that give them away:

Stars: Fixed magnitude and position (not accounting for precession) but can also appear in different colours due to our atmosphere splitting the spectrum of light they emit.

Satalites and the ISS: Usually only seen 2-3 hours after sunset, will stay at magnitudes similar to venus, moving steadily across the sky (around twice the speed of a commercial plane at 30,000 feet) until passing over your Zenith (directly above your head) and fading as they move in to the earths shadow. The usually fade from full brightness to nothing in 2-3 seconds depending on speed.

Iridium flares: One object i dont hear too much about on ATS but i think would account for a lot if sightings. This is where a satalite roles in its orbit and exposes a particular shiny part of its structure to the sun (such as a solar panel), as they move very quicky they appear as a quick streak in the sky similar to a meteorite. I would really recommend looking for pass over times for these as they are amazing!

Back on subject, I still trying to work out what these aircraft are with the slow pulsing red or white light.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by azonic-mantra

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Just what I wanted.

You obviously know a lot about it.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Heres an odd plane ive seen a few times that does not have flashing lights.. it makes a very loud low droning sound.. can always hear when one is coming..

s292.photobucket.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Heres another aircraft that would show up and go round and round in circles for hours without a flashing light. it done that a few nights in a row.. when this one left it then turned on a flashing light..

s292.photobucket.com...

This is the plane

i292.photobucket.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
thanks cosmic for not posting that 1st video and claiming it's a UFo. i would fall for it

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
When a plan is landing (and taking off, too, I think) it turns on it's "landing lights" which are white and do NOT blink, and can be very bright.

A plane may turn on its bright white, non-blinking landing lights 10 miles or more from an airport. If the plane with landing lights on is moving toward the direction of the observer, the lights can seem very bright indeed. However if the plane turns a little, the landing lights will appear to become dim.

I live quite far (about 15-20 miles) from an regional airport (commuter jets and medium/small planes only), and I see the bright landing lights often. The approach pattern for planes using the airport takes them toward my home before they turn toward the airport for landing. Quite often when the plan is coming in my directiona, the landing light appear as bright as a spotlight, obscuring the plane's other lights. Then the plane turns away, and the landing light appears much dimmer (to me). Only then I can see the other blinking red lights on the plane.

If you ever spent time near a landing runway at a busy airport in the evening, you can see the planes "stacked up" waiting to land. They may be invisible until they turn toward you, or until they turn on the landing lights. Even then, since the planes are coming at you (toward the runway) the bright lights lights may not seem to be moving att all -- just hanging there, until they begin to descend to land -- and at that time the light that appeared to just be hanging there begins to appear to move downward.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by beastamerica
thanks cosmic for not posting that 1st video and claiming it's a UFo. i would fall for it

I think that plane was out to fool me.. it surely cant be legal. but
it is definitely a plane

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Aircrafts with odd flashing lights.. heres one with only 2 bright flashing lights that appear to be
at the front and back.. seen this a few times aswell.. the plane behind traveling in the same direction
is how a plane should look..

s292.photobucket.com...

And another plane with odd flashing lights that was flying round and round all night saturday and sunday
from 12am to around 4am.. i could not see it becuase trees were blocking my view.. but kept hearing it
going around.. just caught it though flying away..

s292.photobucket.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join