It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Test Fires Missiles in Persian Gulf, Hormouz

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Iran Test Fires Missiles in Persian Gulf, Hormouz

www.foxnews.com

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's state television says its Revolutionary Guards have tested nine new long- and medium-range missiles in war games that officials say are in response to U.S. and Israeli threats.

Gen. Hossein Salami, a top Guards commander, was quoted as saying the exercise "is to demonstrate our resolve and might against enemies who in recent weeks have threatened Iran with a harsh language." The drill was conducted in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormouz.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I don't get it. First they say the don't see war with the U.S. now they test fire missiles only a day later. It makes you wonder who do you believe? I guess only time will tell.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

They may not want war with the US, but they're gonna get it. I think they know it too, that's probably why they're warming up the systems.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
They arent saying

'' we dont see a war ''

in the sense of

'' we will do anything to avoid it ''

They said that meaning

'' the US isnt capable of launching a war, therefore we dont see one happening ''

because they wont just outrightly attack someone!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't see a war happening any time soon, if at all.

But crazier things have happened.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
this is the rattlesnake shaking his tail.
does he want to get in a fight with an animal 10 times his size?

no.

will he fight back if attacked?

yes.

it is simply a warning.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Well, if we "fight" a war with Iran in the same half-assed manner we've "fought" the war in Iraq, then I suppose this is something for our military to worry about. (BTW, I'm not questioning our troops with that "fight" comment. I love the hell out of you guys, I just know that the policies being implemented by those up the food chain haven't been geared towards actually winning any war, only prolonging combat.) If, however, we actually fight a war with Iran, their little fireworks will be as worthless as tits on a bull. I'm still not convinced one way or the other that Iran realizes just how soft the kid gloves were that we wore into Iraq and Afghanistan. They may realize the destructive power we wield and just be counting on the idea that any war we fight there will be another status quo conflict in which we walk softly and never actually pull the carpet right out from under them like we're fully capable of.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Strikes have been scheduled for a long time now. Rumor has been for months that it will take place this July.

Russia knows it too, that's why they're trying to cause problems for the US right now.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
And to nicely round off another days business, oil has gone back up..

Crude oil prices have risen on news that Iran successfully test-fired long and medium-range missiles.

In London, Brent crude rose by over a dollar to $137.45 a barrel, while US light, sweet crude rose by 92 cents to $136.92 a barrel.

The US dollar also dipped after the tests fuelled worries about geopolitical tensions.

Iran's state media reported that nine missiles were tested, including one Tehran has said could reach Israel.

Crude prices are still below the record price of almost $147 a barrel set in London last week.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hardly surprising is it..

In the Philippines, all public transport prices have just increased causing more concern for everyone on top of the increased prices for rice and other staple foods.

It's getting worse for everyone and many here are asking why this is happening. Many have no idea. I try to pass all the info on that I can but I can't reach everyone.

I was asked today if the fuel prices in my country affect the people in the same way. One of the people I spoke to here asked why the prices of everything goes up yet their wages do not.

I do my best to explain this problem is faced by everyone all over te world, but it does nothing to ease the minds of everyone who is directly affected by this mess we are currently going through.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
At least they didnt test the Sunburst Su-22 missile. That would have been a blatant death threat to the US 5th fleet who are harboured in the Gulf.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
They arent saying

'' we dont see a war ''

in the sense of

'' we will do anything to avoid it ''

They said that meaning

'' the US isnt capable of launching a war, therefore we dont see one happening ''

because they wont just outrightly attack someone!

Won't they?

I'm still very worried about this Iran business, I really hope that both sides can be mature enough to sort things out without some damn war.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Well, Iran has no reason to attack anyone.
They have oil, which will make them rich.
They have a young population, and with Iraq out of the picture, there isn’t anther regional power capable of matching them.
Effectively, Iraq was holding Iran at bay, with the charade of a wmd arsenal post GW1.

The fascist governments are watching and waiting for a wrong move by Iran, that way they can justify any action they want. And Iran knows they can’t just create a reason to attack.. once bitten twice shy, the world wouldn’t fall for it a second time.

So again, why would Iran attack?
Israel's a failed state, its theoretically being pushed into the sea, via fear and economic pressures.. by that I mean the US economy can’t support and supply indefinitely at this rate.

All Iran have to do, is sat back, and they win. super power status, world super-power removal, fortune through neocon controlled oil prices being increased as a last resort to save their economies...

Either Israel or the US will make the first move, even if it’s a US carrier going down in the gulf..
History shows the US has more often than not been the cultrate in its own consequences.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I generally agree with your stance agent.

However maybe the tiger has been cornered and we all know the dangers of that;

Iran Shells Iraq With Artillery

Maybe this morning the tiger started to break out of the cage?

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Strikes have been scheduled for a long time now. Rumor has been for months that it will take place this July.

And last July, and this past June, and last Feb, and this Spring and with every new moon and every time there is a troop surge and...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If the Iraqis take over police keeping and it looks like there could be a substantial withdraw of troops, then the war with Iran will begin. The whole point is to keep the military off fighting a war.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think it's very unlikely Iran will start a war because much like Iraq they would get their ass kicked. However if they are attacked they will be left with little choice but to try to defend their homeland as best they can. Showing off their missile capabilities might also make the US think twice before launching an attack... I doubt it though considering how inferior their military capabilities are when compared to the US or even Israel alone.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Rumor has been for months that it will take place this July.

Is there any substance to these rumours?

It seems Iran is painted as the one "rattling its tail" and preparing for a strike, yet Israel performed a mock strike less than a month ago in a psychological threat mimicking a real strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

Why would they not be testing their missles and becoming ready? Israel has shown that they are preparing to strike Iran. The Israeli Cabinet member, Shaul Mofaz, recently said it "will attack" Iran if the nuclear program was not halted. Well, it's not halted. I'd be testing my weapons and getting ready too.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I know! it doesn't make sense. And why is it that almost noone has heard about this??? Isn't this one of the more important news stories of this year? I mentioned it to co-workers today and noone had any idea what I was talking about..

I have to contend though that Iran sure doesn't fear America.. Whether or not they would willingly start a war is one thing.. But it is quite clear that The Iranian leadership is NOT afraid of a military confrontation with the U.S. or anyone else.. And they have actually been quite vocal about a preemptive nuclear strike against Israel (as we all know).

But if Adminoujad has half the brain he claims to.. He wouldn't willingly start a war with anyone. It would immediately be justification to the American leadership that he needs to be stopped immediately and we would inevitably do whatever it took to unilaterally and systematically destroy the Iranian government before they get so desperate they are willing to push the button.. That seems to me the only logical moment that Iran would use nukes.. That's because most Iranians value their lives and prefer their country not being a glowing glass parking lot...

Iran isn't going to use one or two nukes and not be answered to with some kind of military force. And if Iran gets to the point where they are launching nukes all over the place in a final "blaze of glory" don't think that someone will not nuke back..

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

I agree, this is a response to the IAF exercise in the Med a couple weeks back.

"Stay away, we bite back!"

I don't see anything to get alarmed about, it's not going to be Iran that starts shooting first.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Other then being a good advert for the missile defence system there is nothing noteworthy about the missile launch . That is unless some info came to light that pointed to the missile having increased range or some new capability. Military analysts would be a lot more concerned if the Iranian military gained a regular and reliable supply of spare parts .

new topics

<<   2 >>

join