It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
You know, it kinda makes me wonder, why put the missle defense shield in czech republic, when we could put it in Iraq? That would allow for the best defense against Iran. Additionally, How about putting it in Greece and Turkey, vs former Russian Controlled areas. That would protect against Syria. It would protect Europe anyway from those threats. I honestly believe this missle shield isn't for the U.S. its for Europe so that they have a deterrent against Russia which is growing by leaps and bounds Economically, as well as Industrially. Thats one of the reasons why they haven't asked them to join the EU, or NATO. They don't want them to run ruff shod over the rest of the countries.

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
What is far worse than the 'threathening' is the fact that the Russian federation inherited a national ABM defense system from the old USSR; the Russians are not trying to prevent the us from gaining a advantage in strategic power but trying to retain their own.

However, Soviet and Russian sources, including former Premier Alexei Kosygin and the Chief Designer of the original Moscow ABM system, confirm that: the SA-5 and SA-10 were dual purpose antiaircraft/missile systems (SAM/ABMs), and that the Hen House and LPAR radars provided the requisite battle management target tracking data. These and other sources cited in The ABM Treaty Charade are not exhaustive.

Nevertheless, CIA has not revised its position on this issue, nor have the U.S. Congress and the public been informed that the ABM Treaty was a valid contract from beginning to end.

In the late 1960s the U.S. sacrificed its 20-year technological advantage in ABM defenses on the altar of "arms control." As Russian sources now admit, the Soviet General Staff was in total control of Soviet "arms control" proposals and negotiations, subject to Politburo review, which was largely pro forma. The Soviet military's objective was to gain as much advantage as possible from "arms control" agreements (SALT).

www.jinsa.org...

Mr. Lee's analysis is complex. To vastly simplify, he says he has evidence that Russia's surface-to-air interceptor missiles carry nuclear warheads and therefore are capable of bringing down long-range ballistic missiles, not just aircraft and shorter-range missiles, which is their stated purpose. Russia has 8,000 of these missiles scattered around the country, and Mr. Lee says he has found numerous Russian sources that describe how successive generations of SAMs were in fact designed with the express intention of shooting down ballistic missiles, which is illegal under the treaty.

www.opinionjournal.com...

Indeed, the upgraded S-300 PM is reported to be capable of hitting a warhead in space and already provides adequate protection to Russia's major cities. In seven to ten seconds a target can be located, fixed, and an interception missile launched. Around 10,000 troops are placed on permanent, around the clock, combat duty with apparently a great deal of work to suggest possible overstretches. "On average, the air defense troops detect and track over 250,000 aircraft, including more than 100,000 foreign aircraft and 1,000-1,500 foreign reconnaissance aircraft every year," commented Mikhailov.

www.jamestown.org...

If one continues along this line of investigation one can quickly discover why the US is building F-22'/35's, new hunter submarines and generally spending of billions on fighting 'terrorism'. That being said it all gone be done more efficiently if the people in charge of us weapons programs where in fact interested in protecting the American public and not just in lining their own pockets while sending kids to war with whatever equipment the corporations produced to maintain a measure of credibility.

Stellar

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by camain
You know, it kinda makes me wonder, why put the missle defense shield in czech republic, when we could put it in Iraq? That would allow for the best defense against Iran. Additionally, How about putting it in Greece and Turkey, vs former Russian Controlled areas. That would protect against Syria. It would protect Europe anyway from those threats. I honestly believe this missle shield isn't for the U.S. its for Europe so that they have a deterrent against Russia which is growing by leaps and bounds Economically, as well as Industrially. Thats one of the reasons why they haven't asked them to join the EU, or NATO. They don't want them to run ruff shod over the rest of the countries.

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

Camain

If you think this so-called missile shield is for Europe then you are very much mistaken ...... It is for the US and no-one else. It may be being 'sold' to Europe as a European Defence, but dont kid yourself.

Russia is no more a threat to Europe than Australia is to New Zealand. Russia and Europe have too much money tied up in each others economies to let military ambitions come between them.

A missile shield along the Southern Borders of Europe is a much better idea and far more practical - a ring from Portugal along the northern part of the Meditteranean Coast down to the Turkish/Iraq/Afghanistan Border.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Russia has it's panties in a wad and want to make themselves look important. Iran just test fired a missile today that would have Europe under the gun. The news kept pointing out the Israeli connection for them to be endangered, just make the semicircle for the missile's 1250 mile range.

Missile defense means defense, on offense. Russia would want to stop a NATO endorsed defensive weapon for what practical purposes other than huffing and puffing. Does Russia have a plan that these missiles will interrupt or stop?

Russia has strong ties to Europe, their words seem to indicate they want to strain those ties for some reason.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

could not agree more chek m8

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

yes europe - that means some greek islands at the limit of its range.... oh you mean you actually checked the range then

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

other super powers around the world.

Good post,good thread(starred)....yes it could geta little hairy,but I am sure we will work out a shield deal with them,one that also still protects us from them through 'spheres of influence' or shield zones.I posted that quote because really there arent any other superpowers........ mean I guess you could call the other main countries that,but the US is considered a 'hyperpower' and is realy the singular power.Not saying other countries are not threats though,again good post I will kep informed.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal

www.timesonline.co.uk

Russia tonight threatened to retaliate by military means after a deal with the Czech Republic brought the US missile defence system in Europe a step closer.

The threat followed quickly on from the announcement that Condoleezza Rice signed a formal agreement with the Czech Republic to host the radar for the controversial project.

Moscow argues that the missile shield would severely undermine the balance of European security and regards the proposed missile shield based in two former Communist countries as a hostile move.

“We will be forced to react not with diplomatic, but with military-technical methods,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

It does not matter if George Bush wants his super hero to stand guard but I will assure you that plasma infusion will triumph over any protective measures. With the USSR's state of the art nuclear technology it will only force defenseless reasons off tilt. Radar guided missles and pulsators are very efficient to bringing down anti-gravity craft but the system is flawed by one thing. Plasma Infusion.

George Bush, the monkey, or the man?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I knew somebody would bring the Cuban MC into this, just to remind you, those were 100% ICBMs used for the sole part of offensive attacks plain and simple. This "shield" is nothing like that, its for shooting down ICBMs and the like. So please compare apples to apples from now on.

Now regardless of my above statement , I can see why Russia is upset about it. But it really shouldnt matter as long as they dont plan on tryin to lob some missles towards us or our friends anytime soon, it will be like a nick-nack sitting on a coffee table collecting dust.

Im a big believer in having something and not needing it , rather than needing something and not having it. But I truly do hope its never needed.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
We need missile defense in India to protect against Iran. But the missiles can be aimed at China. Maybe that's coming next.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by THELONIO
reply to post by burdman30ott6

you are what is known in england as a muppet, your countrys need to defend themself is the cause of all of the problems in the world, this action will cause a war you twit, have you forgotten the cuban missile crisis when the shoe was on the other foot. it is aggression and stupidity and attitudes like yours are what gwb love , a sucked in moron, its all of our world not just the united stupids of america (apologies to those who can see the truth), you'll destroy it for everyone!!!!! fool

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon

Originally posted by THELONIO
reply to post by burdman30ott6

you are what is known in england as a muppet, your countrys need to defend themself is the cause of all of the problems in the world, this action will cause a war you twit, have you forgotten the cuban missile crisis when the shoe was on the other foot. it is aggression and stupidity and attitudes like yours are what gwb love , a sucked in moron, its all of our world not just the united stupids of america (apologies to those who can see the truth), you'll destroy it for everyone!!!!! fool

I'm not sure why anyone should be against any sort of defensive measure, that would like getting angry at your boxing opponent for putting his gloves up to block a punch. You just sit there in Britain and convince yourself that "if I keep me hands down this bully chap won't hit me". You'll be fine with your head in the sand.

I understand the British hate Bush, but they would have hated Kerry just as much. Until we find a way to get a Libertarian in office, it will probably more of the same. As long as we're mentioning stupidity, this is COMPLETELY different than the Cuban Missile Crisis.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
www.globalresearch.ca...

*** Brothers & Sisters:

I am usually a peacable fellow, but in light of the recent BLINDSIDING of US interests by the SINO-RUSSIAN Friendship in the market while we were, so we thought, defending the interests of ALL petroleum hog nations, I would welcome a scrap with these f%$ks!!!!

This Sino-Russian"Friendship" has co-opted American economic tactics and stabbed us in the back. They think we are weakened or disabled and maybe they're right, but they will be punished severely for testing us.

WHo is Russia to threaten the US or any other European nation for building defense infrastructure within their own country? They lost those teritiories and have NO SAY in what those countries choose to do.

Obvioulsy they have plans for those territories and view the West as a separate entitiy, one with separate interests. SCREW THEM.

I'm getting older, but I can still hump a rucksack and run a few miles. I will go back to the service if this happens.

We'll end the cold war once and for all. Sore Losers all the REDS.

These links show the picture:

www.globalresearch.ca...
archive.newsmax.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
And it's obvious to me, the Russians still hold their former territories clandestinely through FEAR.

Why should the Czechs protest a defense system and feel they are being made a target? From who? Russia!!
What right do these a-holes have to control a sovereign European nation's defensive capability?

And does anyone know what crap the Russians have pulled lately in regard to Georgia to increase regional tensions?

Why are there regional tensions al Alll??!!!! Russia, that's why.

Bring it. Any time, any place.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Incorrect, this is the same as the cuban missle crisis.
Taking even part of russias nukes out of a war handicaps them.
Its an offensive defenseive weapon.

Its like walking into russia and stealing 50% of their nukes.
Its an act of war. I completely stand behind russia on this and have wondered when they would step up to the plate.

Im an American, and I still feel this missle shield is flat out retarded and its going to get us all killed.

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by bakednutz

No, we wouldn't be "freaking out" if Russia had decided to do this, we'd be building our own missile shield. It's a defensive measure and as a citizen of the United States, who's safety will be improved to some degree by said shield, I am all for it. If Russia wants to build their own, let them do so.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I am not against the US building a missile shield to protect itself. I am against one being built far from its shores in someone else's country that is very likely to get targeted because of it.

Basically the US is creating a buffer zone with Europe being 'ground zero' and in doing so is creating the situation with Russia - A form of gunboat diplomacy without the gunboats.

The US certainly wouldnt like it if the British/French did a similar thing in its overseas territories in the Carribbean.

Build the shields in your own backyard, not in ours.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

So the middle eastern countries never stirred the pot up. This site is getting more and more biased.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by camain
You know, it kinda makes me wonder, why put the missle defense shield in czech republic, when we could put it in Iraq?

For one thing, it be too late. The missile defense system is suppose to meet the warhead head on, not going after it from hitting behind. Hence Czech Republic. Also remember that if Iran wanted to hit the U.S. would they fire across the Atlantic Ocean?
During the Cold War, the Russians would never send bombers to attack the U.S. across the Atlantic, they go up past the North Pole and into Canada on the other side.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

if you move any kind of military equipment towards a border of a country that is your opponent it will be always considered an act of aggression, as with the cmc, its not nice when your opponent is knocking on the door, and yes we do not like gwb but neither do the yanks, in fact who does!!!, besides all that 1./ what business is it of americas if iran want nukes. 2./another wmd 3./why no measures against india when they got nukes 4./sort out your own crisis with your crappy dollar that even iran wont accept for oil 5./stop bullying the rest of the world and antagonising the russians you war mongering divs

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by djerwulfe
www.globalresearch.ca...

WHo is Russia to threaten the US or any other European nation for building defense infrastructure within their own country? They lost those teritiories and have NO SAY in what those countries choose to do.

We'll end the cold war once and for all. Sore Losers all the REDS.

These links show the picture:

it is not your own country, fight fight fight its all america does, opress and fight, just keep your nose out of other peoples business, worry about your nau, the russian missile shield is just the right sort of method to distract your ignorant asses while gwb is doing bad stuff at home, always remember a common enemy is always the best method of getting people hooked, war on terror, wmd, cold war etc etc, wake up stupid

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join