It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is pet ownership a sign of insanity?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xeroxed88

i love cats. one of natures most efficent hunters. they were at one time used as retivers. crazy i know.

saddly i have developed an allergic reaction to them and can no longer have one. i do have friends that have them and i get to play with them once in a while. when i dont mind my sinuses going hay wire for a day or two..

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespise
I can't believe how much some people I know are willing to pay for medical care for their animals - I've even heard of people buying insurance for them!

That because unlike humans, pets are loyal and trustworthy and dont judge others by their lifestyle, religious or sexual preference....sort of like you judging us animal owners

Also, pets are inherently filthy and smelly. If you don't want them dragging dirt and other gunk into your home, defecating, urinating and vomiting on your carpet and tearing up your possessions, you have to spend a lot of money on obedience training.

How the hell would you know? You have never owned a pet. My dog doesnt defecate, urinate or vomit on the carpet, she isnt smelly (the same cant be said for some humans), and i trained her myself.....she doesnt need pricy obedience training.

Don't forget to add that the bestial nature of these creatures puts their owners, their families, their visitors and their neighbors at risk. You don't have to look far to find news of yet another dog mauling or even killing someone.

This is put down to the HUMAN not training them enough, its not their fault, bring them up nice and they will act nice. Treat them with respect and they will treat you with respect.......throw stuff at them, taint or abuse them, the least of your worries will be them biting you....especially if Im there to witness it

Everyone knows that cats will eat their deceased owners corpses without hesitation. Don't even get me started on the more exotic animals some people feel compelled to own. Remember that monkey in California or some place that literally tore its owner to shreds a few years ago, even ripping off his testicles?

IGNORANCE........pure ignorance

I see people talking to their animals, treating them like children or loved ones. These same people shamelessly dine on other animals and kill them every day. Do they not realize that animals are not on our level? It's impossible to communicate with them and I feel that to think otherwise is a clear sign of insanity.

Unlike some people, animals actually respond when you talk to them.....again, you have no idea what you are talking about

I know there is a small minority block of pet owners who are closeted beastophiles. Besides those who need trained animals to perform some tangible service - guide dogs for the blind, helper monkeys, riding horses, hunting dogs, et cetera - these perverts are just about the only segment of the pet ownership community that I feel have a justifiable reason for keeping an animal.

You sicken me......you're the reason why some people prefer the company of animals to humans. Not even worth putting you on a foe list for this garbage

Can anyone explain this insanity to me?
[edit on 8-7-2008 by EverythingYouDespise]

The only insane one is you.

This is the most ignorant thread I have ever seen posted here

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
how do you know this, if you have never owned a pet.

1. my dog dosent bark unless a car is pulling into my yard. oddly enough he didnt start doing this until after a car wrecked into my house and burned it down. that dosent sound dangous to me. he is a hunting dog and trained not to bark i might add

2. 20usd a month is hardly for food is hardly a financial bruden. and as my dog is a ducks unlimited lab i have akc health insurance on him. and his vet said he is the healthist dog he has ever seen. thus i rarly take him to the vet except for a check up which is free.

3. my dog has warned me of countless snakes i would have other wise not known was there. and that is completly praticial.

4. my dog does not poop in the yard he goes to the woods.

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

1. I don't have to actually own a pet to know that they come with financial obligations. I've known plenty of people who keep animals in their homes (and I've been their guests enough times to become acquainted with the many unpleasant qualities pets can have) and I've heard all sorts complain about the price of food, grooming and medical care for animals. Not to mention the extras, like giving them toys or even costumes and birthday presents (two particularly outrageous concepts) and repairing any damage they may cause to you or your neighbors' property.

2. I already excluded hunting dogs in a previous post, since they serve a practical purpose. While I wouldn't want to keep one around my house, I can understand why a hunter could use one. Therefore, your particular case of animal ownership is not a sign of insanity.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Everyone knows that cats will eat their deceased owners corpses without hesitation. Don't even get me started on the more exotic animals some people feel compelled to own. Remember that monkey in California or some place that literally tore its owner to shreds a few years ago, even ripping off his testicles?

IGNORANCE........pure ignorance

On your part or on mine?

In case you were ignorant of those two facts, let me post some outside links to provide proof:

www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) Investigators said they are trying to figure out how two chimpanzees that viciously attacked a visitor at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cage.

The chimps chewed off St. James Davis' nose and severely mauled his genitals and limbs Thursday before the son-in-law of the sanctuary's owner shot the animals to death, authorities said. ...

And

www.straightdope.com...

I was attending the 1992 American Academy of Forensic Sciences conference in New Orleans and a forensic pathologist related the following story (paraphrased as best as memory will serve): "Sometimes, when an individual living alone dies unexpectedly, several days may pass before anyone takes notice. Some of these individuals may own a dog or a cat, which will go unfed. In my experience, a dog may go for several days before finally resorting to eating the owner's body. A cat, on the other hand, will only wait a day or two.... I can't explain why a cat may be so quick to turn on the hand that fed it. I can only tell you that yes, it does happen. As a single guy living alone with three cats, I can tell you that I keep plenty of kibble about, because you never know.

Glad I was able to inform you a bit!

[edit on 10-7-2008 by EverythingYouDespise]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

1. I don't have to actually own a pet to know that they come with financial obligations. I've known plenty of people who keep animals in their homes (and I've been their guests enough times to become acquainted with the many unpleasant qualities pets can have) and I've heard all sorts complain about the price of food, grooming and medical care for animals. Not to mention the extras, like giving them toys or even costumes and birthday presents (two particularly outrageous concepts) and repairing any damage they may cause to you or your neighbors' property.

Trust me all that spending is ALL WORTH IT. Once you come to love your pet, they are like family. What you just described is just what people have to do with their children too, should we just not care about children too?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To OP

Yes, owning and/or caring for any animal of any kind is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. It behooves you now to swear to your god and/or gods to never EVER own one for as long as you live!

And your nik at this site, when it comes to animals, could not be more true. I honestly think you are one of those folks that will simply never understand any animal other than yourself - and I'm not too sure you have any understanding the latter.

Of your remark about you being insulted or others' "hippy comments", well hells bells dude, with your opening statement, did you really expect anything less than what you received?

Personally, I think your post was nothing more than bait to see how many people you could rile up, you sound quite bored, possibly very lonely, and definately bitter.

Tell ya what, take a run to the next local SPCA free shots day and tell all the animal owners there everything you've said here - and tell me where it's at, because I want to watch the outcome of that one!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

Congratulations. You're excellent at setting the bait to draw back even me, a self-avowed non-poster to your thread. Here are some more points. I have to guess that that's what this is all about.

my whole post was sent to the cornfield. I'll have to consider whether I'll do it again. Not sure you're worth it.

Okay, perhaps you are. Maybe this can cause you to shift a little and SEE.

You compared having a pet with slavery. Terrible analogy. NEVER in the history of slavery has anyone chosen such a situation. EVER. At best, it's possible that people who could've escaped the situation chose to stay in it to protect/support their loved ones. Therefore, this is a logical fallacy and a poor arguement.

You said something like.... pets only come to us for food and shelter. Consider the following with an open mind. Every evening, we bring out cats inside for the night. Yes, they are fed wet food, which they love, at that time. Afterward, after eating, drinking, and incessantly cleaning themselves, they jump up on the bed and settle in for the night. As we move all night long, they "surf" the covers and resettle, even though they have perfectly good kitty beds to sleep in. During the day, when we are not in the bed, they choose to sleep either in the kitty beds, or on the kitty hammock (the AB-Lounger). We don't live in an area where heat is a problem, so they aren't conserving heat. Why do you suppose this is?

When I am working in the bush, they follow me, and settle a safe distance from whatever I'm working on. They sleep, and when I move, they do as well. Why? They have each other for companionship; why would they need me?

I have a couple of questions..... please indulge me. I posted a youtube of a lion who was meeting his caregiver for the first time after an absence. Did you watch it? I may be anthrpomorphizing by saying that that lion demonstrated JOY at seeing and "hugging" her, but I think it's closer to rapture. That lion recognized the woman, and he LOVES her. He practically mashed her face to the bars of the cage just to be closer to her. How do you explain this?

I have to echo my second post. I think you need a hug. From an animal, as it will be certain to be sincere.

Response?

[edit on 10-7-2008 by argentus]

[edit on 10-7-2008 by argentus for spelling and context]

[edit on 10-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Excellent use of an ab lounger, Argentus. OP needs a hug from the lion.

I adopted my two cats from people who couldnt take care of theirs. They were already grown. No question that the cats are happy to be in my care, and I am happy to have them. They chose to sit in my lap and kiss my face. I didnt train them, and their only reward is my love and care. One of mine actually gets uner the covers with me at night and lays right up next to me so I wake up most mornings holding her like a teddy bear.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm pleased to reply to your thoughtful post. I'm sorry I didn't personally respond to your previous statement, but there were a lot of similar posts and I tried to reply to their shared sentiment with more of a blanketed post.

Anyway, on to the debate:

I stick by my comparison of pet ownership to slavery, although the comparison is admittedly quite a stretch in some cases and rarely completely spot-on. On one extreme, you've got caged animals who are looked after in an accidentally callous or even cruel manner by selfish owners or ignorant children. On the other, you've got animals that are provided with a comfortable living environment in which they are given plenty of freedom (even ample opportunity to leave) and aren't made to do anything they do not choose to do.

It's pretty clear that most pet ownership falls somewhere in the between, but the comparison was made to drive home a point to those of you who want to have your cake and eat it too. Either animals are inferior to humans or they are our equals. If you honestly believe a pet is your equal, you ought to set it free and let it regain its natural form. If you think an animal is inferior, but that it is capable of "friendship" with you because it is either complacent, stupid or lazy enough to stick around the house and rub against your leg or whatever and purr because it knows that's a meal ticket, well good for you. Keep throwing your money away for a delusion or ego trip. I could keep a retarded child in my house and feed it and I'm pretty sure it would act like a nice pet, but I bet you'd object to it because it's a human being.

I didn't watch the Youtube video because I don't have access to video right now. Perhaps I'll take a look when I get home. I'll bet the lion was happy to see it's former source of food and reacted similarly to Pavlov's dogs when they heard the bell.
If it had been raised in the wild and allowed to follow its instincts, the person would have been mauled to death.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

Likewise here on the adoption, out of the 37,942 animals in this house (well, it damn sure seems like it!) ALL are one of three things ..... adopted, rescued, or "showed up at the door".

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

I'm going to assume from your name and avatar that you enjoy debates like this one, just to get a rise out of people. I truly have never in real life, met anyone who has such a disdain for animals.

All I'll say is, Karmic debt is a biotch..and honey, I think you'll be coming back to life with fur.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I didn't watch the Youtube video because I don't have access to video right now. Perhaps I'll take a look when I get home. I'll bet the lion was happy to see it's former source of food and reacted similarly to Pavlov's dogs when they heard the bell.
If it had been raised in the wild and allowed to follow its instincts, the person would have been mauled to death.

See, Misfit? THis is what I mean by "giggly." He makes me laugh so much , I love him.

Have I told you how much I love you lately, oh Despised One?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

grooming and medical care for animals. Not to mention the extras, like giving them toys or even costumes and birthday presents (two particularly outrageous concepts)

this statement i can agree with. a tennis ball is plenty of toy for him. costumes. completly stupid idea. jeb's birthday present is the first duck hunt of the year. he loves it just as much if not more than myself.

i feed my dog pretty high end food to keep him healthy soft and shinny.

blackwood. pricy but worth it. as i said he only eats about $20usd a month.

there are some crazy people that own pets. like the ones who buy costumes
and people who spend more for their dog to get a hair cut than they spend on them selves. but i dont think that pet ownership it self is a sign of insanity..

[edit on 15pmu62007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Now where do I start.....

Ok, you obviously have to live up to your name, and I think you are doing a very good job of that.

Whenever I come across someone that dislikes animals I find it quite disturbing, I don't believe it is 'natural' behaviour.

Human beings have always kept pets, not as pampered as we do these days but it's a natural part of us to love and care for something living.

Maybe that is the part you can't understand?

People that live deep in the amazon rain forests, that have little contact with the outside world keep pets, and they don't eat them, they are different to food animals.

It is a proven medical fact that pets are good for our health, lowers blood pressure, reduces stress etc.

Children learn to respect and care for living creatures, I think it is very important for children to have a pet.

No, it's not insanity to keep pets, it's part of being human, I think it is more likey that you are, I wouldn't use the word but as you did, insane.

Just for the record, I have an incontinent dog (has been for 6 years), she wears nappies, I have ongoing vet bills for her, and I have just spent over £200 in the last month on surgery for one of my rats. I can't buy any food for 2 months now but i would do anything for my animals so I will manage.

Maybe I am a little nuts but they make me happy.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am definitely crazy. I have a 4 yr old and a 10 month old and thought we were ready for a dog. Whatever. I think about giving that dog away every day. But he has burrowed his little self into me and I can't. But he is still a pain in the a--. It is like having a newborn again.

It is insanity. But maybe we pet owners thrive on it. I think I like CHAOS....lol...not really...but it is a crazy life, for me anyway..

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I just read this whole thread and I can't stop laughing!

With statements like this... " I could keep a retarded child in my house and feed it and I'm pretty sure it would act like a nice pet, but I bet you'd object to it because it's a human being".

It's obvious that EverythingYouDespise is just bored and enjoying pushing everyones buttons.

I bet that this person has a puppy in his or her lap right now.

I can almost hear it... "I love you little puppy!!! Now run along and play so I can mess with all of these stupid humans.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I agree with the above post... way to push buttons. Could be just plain ignorance too. Read up on companion animals and maybe you'll understand. Without the help of animals through the ages humanity would not have progressed as far as it has.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
removed, double post

[edit on 15/7/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

On your part or on mine?

Your part

You have never owned a pet, so you would not know anything about them. I have lived with and without pets and much prefer the former.

Pure ignorance and assumption

In case you were ignorant of those two facts, let me post some outside links to provide proof:

www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) Investigators said they are trying to figure out how two chimpanzees that viciously attacked a visitor at an animal sanctuary escaped from their cage.

Sorry, what does this have to do with pet ownership? As the article states, the chimp is in a sanctuary, meaning that is practically wild. Its a high possibility that the chimp was taunted, remember the 3 idiots that climbed into a tiger enclosure? Wasnt the tigers fault they got mauled was it?

www.straightdope.com...

I was attending the 1992 American Academy of Forensic Sciences conference in New Orleans and a forensic pathologist related the following story (paraphrased as best as memory will serve): "Sometimes, when an individual living alone dies unexpectedly, several days may pass before anyone takes notice. Some of these individuals may own a dog or a cat, which will go unfed. In my experience, a dog may go for several days before finally resorting to eating the owner's body. A cat, on the other hand, will only wait a day or two.... I can't explain why a cat may be so quick to turn on the hand that fed it. I can only tell you that yes, it does happen. As a single guy living alone with three cats, I can tell you that I keep plenty of kibble about, because you never know.
[edit on 10-7-2008 by EverythingYouDespise]

Its called survival instinct. In fact humans have reverted to cannabilism to survive too, I am sure people would do it if left with no alternative. If I died and my dog was left starving, I would gladly donate my body to her survival (or any humans survival for that matter)

You havent educated me at all, just damaged your own argument by posting information that has nothing to do with the OP

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread yet (half-way through), but it is an interesting read so far. I just want to contribute my two cents:

Pets are sold in pet stores. Until they are bought, they are trapped in confined spaces on display in cages. Would you want to be trapped in a cage? Obviously, this is a marketing strategy to arouse pathos, encouraging people to buy pets, encouraging sales. This is an example of animals being used as a commodity, which is somewhat a form of slavery.

When a pet is bought and brought into its new home, it may be treated like family. But what family member isn't allowed to leave the house on his own will? Excluding fish and other marine animals, pets like dogs and cats can only leave the house if its "owner" opens the door for them.

Obedience training is the same as forcing an animal into submission. When a pet owner says to a dog "sit" he is commanding it to sit and not asking it to sit. If the dog does not obey his orders, it is being "bad" and he will discipline it. Why does the dog have to listen to his "owner" in the first place?

(Please understand that I use the word "discipline" in the most general sense to simply mean the idea of discipline and not necessarily violence.)

On the other hand, if a child disobeys his parent, the parent disciplining the child I find is more plausible. Firstly, the child was conceived by his parents (he was conceived from the sperm of his father and the egg of his mother), so the slightest idea of ownership actually has some relevance. Secondly, the child is of the same species of his parents, so it is sensible to communicate using human language. It is also sensible to to say that the child understands his parents (mental disabilities aside).

A pet however is not a human, so it is impossible to communicate 100% clearly.

Having typed all this, I hope I won't get flamed for slightly agreeing with the OP (though I think calling pet owners "insane" might be a bit harsh). I also notice that there are lots of posts that simply say "this is dumb" without using a series of quote-response replies. While I understand why you may be upset about the OP's views, it would be more beneficial to all of our readers to understand why you disagree.

Hope my post was relevant and shed some light on this topic. Thanks for reading. I will continue to read the rest of this thread.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join