It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Hypocrisy, a Tenfold Increase in Exports to Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The Associated Press reported today that "U.S. exports to Iran - including brassieres, bull semen, cosmetics and possibly even weapons - grew more than tenfold during President Bush's years in office even as he accused Iran of nuclear ambitions and helping terrorists. America sent more cigarettes to Iran , at least $158 million worth under Bush, than any other products.

Other surprising shipments to Iran during the Bush administration: fur clothing, sculptures, perfume and musical instruments. Top states shipping goods to Iran include California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio and Wisconsin, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of seven years of U.S. government trade data."

"Also shipped to Iran were at least $13,000 in "aircraft launching gear and/or deck arrestors," equipment needed to launch jets from aircraft carriers, according to U.S. records. Iran's navy is not believed to own or operate any carriers.

Those numbers may seem small, but military items can sell for pennies on the dollar compared with what the Pentagon paid. Last year, federal agents seized four F-14 fighter jets sold to domestic buyers by an officer at Point Mugu Naval Air Station, Calif., for $2,000 to $4,000 each, with proceeds benefiting a squadron recreation fund. When F-14s were new, they cost roughly $38 million each."

www.examiner.com...

NOTE: I apologize for the unstandard formatting here, I am having difficulty getting quoted text into the assigend bar. If anyone wants to hear about the issue and help me work-it-out, please feel free to u2u me.

Otherwise let's all get outraged together, one more time.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yeah I saw this on the news to I wasnt sure whether or not to post. Yup its ironic we are trying to push war with these guys but at the same time selling them our stuff. Also financing them via the world bank. Kinda reminds me of what we did to Germany in WW2. Built them up nice and big for a nice bloody profitable war.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Why are you complaining about this?
The increase in trade is with consumer goods like cigaretts and hairspray. Our government is supporting the people of Iran because we know the people are very westernized. Isn't this what you liberals out there want? We are helping and supporting the people of Iran and at the same time we are putting pressure on the govenment of Iran to let the people be free of the stranglehold.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Why are you complaining about this?
The increase in trade is with consumer goods like cigaretts and hairspray. Our government is supporting the people of Iran because we know the people are very westernized. Isn't this what you liberals out there want? We are helping and supporting the people of Iran and at the same time we are putting pressure on the govenment of Iran to let the people be free of the stranglehold.

Sigh how many times have I proven to you I am no liberal. Im about as far from big government as you can be. My point is that our banking machine doesnt care about anything. They will sell and finance whoever kind of like in wars when our own banks were financing the enemies. This war is being brought on so the profiteers and make money. Just like most if not all of the other wars we have fought.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The United States is also dramatically boosting the Iranian economy by causing the price of oil to skyrocket through the inflation of the dollar resulting from horrid economic policies over the last 7 years.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Sigh how many times have I proven to you I am no liberal.

I don't know, are you keeping count?

This war is being brought on so the profiteers and make money. Just like most if not all of the other wars we have fought.

The trade with Iran has nothing to do with profiteering. The trade currently with Iran has to do with keeping the people in good spirits regarding the west. Once this radical islamic government is put down, Iran will prove to be a great ally because of the people. We are not trading weapons or anything which could be used for the military. Again, its all consumer goods which they desperately want.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
The United States is also dramatically boosting the Iranian economy by causing the price of oil to skyrocket through the inflation of the dollar resulting from horrid economic policies over the last 7 years.

Iran doesn't refine their own fuel, lots of oil but little refineries. So they sell they're oil and buy it back from other countries including the US. Sometimes at a higher price then they sold. Yet, still cheaper there than here.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

WhatThaory Said: We are not trading weapons or anything which could be used for the military. Again, its all consumer goods which they desperately want.
reply to post by WhatTheory

That is not entirely the case, if you read the entire article that is linked you will see

Sanctions are intended in part to frustrate Iran's efforts to build its military, but the U.S. government's own figures show at least $148,000 worth of unspecified weapons and other military gear were exported from the United States to Iran during Bush's time in office. That includes $106,635 in military rifles and $8,760 in rifle parts and accessories shipped in 2004, the data shows.

Also shipped to Iran were at least $13,000 in "aircraft launching gear and/or deck arrestors," equipment needed to launch jets from aircraft carriers, according to U.S. records. Iran's navy is not believed to own or operate any carriers.

Those numbers may seem small, but military items can sell for pennies on the dollar compared with what the Pentagon paid. Last year, federal agents seized four F-14 fighter jets sold to domestic buyers by an officer at Point Mugu Naval Air Station, Calif., for $2,000 to $4,000 each, with proceeds benefiting a squadron recreation fund. When F-14s were new, they cost roughly $38 million each.
Hey, who knew? We can buy used an F-14's for a few grand... I sure hope there is a thread on here about that too.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The trade with Iran has nothing to do with profiteering. The trade currently with Iran has to do with keeping the people in good spirits regarding the west. Once this radical islamic government is put down, Iran will prove to be a great ally because of the people. We are not trading weapons or anything which could be used for the military. Again, its all consumer goods which they desperately want.

Kind of how Iraq was going to greet us as liberators and be great allies? The fact is these people dont want us there. They want us off their holy land. They have said this many times and I dont know how many languages they have to tell us this to get them to understand.

Yes this is about profiteering. We do it in all the wars. Look at all the wars we have fought. The international bankers get their share on all sides of the wars. War is a profitable business because it costs the bankers and big corps nothing. Just a few peon American dead no big deal right?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Kind of how Iraq was going to greet us as liberators and be great allies?

Umm....well, they did great us as liberators. Remember all the cheering the days after the initial war and the toppling of the Saddam statue. You are confusing the Iraqi people with the terrorists and foreign national we currently fighting there. Once Iraqi government get stable and the U.S. and its allies move out, you will see that they were very grateful for removing their dictator.

Yes this is about profiteering.

Sorry, but the current trade we have with Iran is not about profiteering. It's about the Irainian people and keeping them in good spirits about the west.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Umm....well, they did great us as liberators. Remember all the cheering the days after the initial war and the toppling of the Saddam statue. You are confusing the Iraqi people with the terrorists and foreign national we currently fighting there. Once Iraqi government get stable and the U.S. and its allies move out, you will see that they were very grateful for removing their dictator.

Thats if you believe those people were not paid to go do that like it has been rumored. They werent even from Iraq they were from Jordan, UAE, and what not. We put in the Shiite government and what do they do ...go ally themselves with Iran the country that we are supposed to hate..yeah.

Sorry, but the current trade we have with Iran is not about profiteering. It's about the Irainian people and keeping them in good spirits about the west.

Hmm Im sure trading & funding Hitler during WW2 or the North Vietnamese during Vietnam wasnt about profiteering either. WW1 while 320,000 of our people died we funded all sides of that war in fact JP Morgan made over a trillion dollars in todays money that wasnt about profiteering either. Dude wake up war profiteering is a proud heritage of America look at every war and follow the money. Its simple. Google is your friend on this one. Type in who funded Hitler...or who Funded the Vietnam war and read up. War profiteering is not new. Hell LOOK AT IRAQ!!!! That is the most OBVIOUS of all war profiteering.

top topics

join