It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generating wind power on an automobile

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
A lot of folks shot this idea down, and i think that is a bit premature.

no, this isn't a stand alone solution. but it could be another weapon in our box. consider:

1. when in town, you will go, and then stop. when stopping, as the break is depressed, the turbines could be actuated and then generate some current. It doesn't add a lot. but you also gain additional resistance, or stopping power. this reduces brake wear.

2. while on the highway, you will use cruise control. at times, while going down a hill, the cruise control won't be able to keep you below the speed you set. being able to actuate the turbines then would also add some charge (and extend the 150 mile limit on current electrics) and maintain a steady speed.

it is another tool to use in an electric option. maybe it won't help much...who knows.

if you want my opinion, ww need to be looking at piezoelectrics. if you could embed billions of nanogenerators in the vehicle itself, and generate current from ambient vibrations, how much energy could you generate? Add in things like thermoelectric tires (they have a silicone material that can act as a thermoelectric), along with solar coverings (like the Czeers solar powered boat), and the wind turbines...how long before you can independantly generate enough clean, free energy just by the excellent engineering of the car itself?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ah, now you're talking. Generating electricity from the vibrations caused by typical friction, yes... perhaps one day once we've got the means to do it.

As for the turbines when breaking, you'd have to keep them locked away inside the skin of the vehicle and deploy during de-acceleration. But how would you deploy that and retract, without using too much energy? Not to mention the amount of space it would take up sitting in the vehicle.
No. I still think it's not feasible.

However, regenerative breaking, THAT is perfect for deceleration. And your thoughts on nano-tech being used to absorb vibrations, genius.

In which case, once we've got nano-technology at that point, we could also use it in the tires to use the constantly changing pressure and turn it into energy as well.

Make no mistake about it guys though, you could have all the power saving tech on your car you want, you'll never get more back than you used to make it run.

But considering the efficiency ratings of your average vehicle are so incredibly low, it's a noble thought pattern.

[EDIT]
Oh my god, can't believe I left this out...

Regenerative suspension.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The wind power when a car in motion comes from the relative movement between the car and the earth.

According to the law of conservation of energy,in fact the wind power derives from the the gasoline burning in your car engine.To generate the wind power throught some windmills ,the speed of the car has to decline,and it would cost energy to maintain the car running,and of course you'd better take more gasoline.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join