It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foster child denied shot at new liver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Foster child denied shot at new liver

www.miamiherald.com

A disabled foster child whose liver is failing has been removed from a Central Florida hospital's organ-transplant waiting list because hospital administrators fear the state's shaky child-welfare system cannot ensure he has a permanent home in which to recover.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
MY GOD! I am even more disgusted by this story than I was by the actions of the so-called "medical professionals" in the article about the woman dying on the floor of the ER waiting room last week.

They are sentencing a 15 year old to death here and they're doing it because he doesn't have money. They can use the lack of a stable foster home as an excuse if they wish, but that is unadulterated BS. The kid's behavioral problems aren't his fault, clearly the state dropped the ball over the last 15 years and didn't get him the help he needed to recover from being born to a crack addict. Of course he's got behavioral problems, all he's known for his whole life has been hell, hell, and more hell.

I freaking despise people that let kids slip through the cracks like this. Especially when it's the very people who make their living off of supposedly ensuring the most vulnerable among us, children, don't have to spend their lives suffering. You can't tell me that somewhere in Florida there's not a family that would have taken this poor kid in, showed him the love and care he's missed for his life, and provided him with a stable home regardless of his behavioral problems. Of course someone would have done this for him, but then the hospital would have to come up with another excuse for not saving his life with a new liver.

Disgusting.

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So sad.So evil.Makes me angry.So I should stop reading it now.Before I end up in jail and my kids end up in a foster home.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Being_From_Earth]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
BUT..a prisoner who committed crimes and is a complete scumbag and waste of oxygen will get a FREE transplant thanks to us, no questions asked. It happened MANY times...scum get locked up and then recieve FREE medical surgery and organs....and who is to blame...well US!

We allow a 15 year old to die because of BS yet the same people who complain about how horrible this is are the same who would complain if we let a prisoner die instead. Sorry but a 15 year old with a chance at life outweighs some scumbag sitting in a cell who had his chance and blew it!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Bureaucratic red tape at its finest!

But seriously, its sad the insurance game has dipped so low as to deciding on the very life of a human, simply because "there is no place for him to recover". That has got to be the most lazy, irrational, and disturbing excuse I have ever heard.

Shame on the people who make these type of decisions, and may Karma give them what they deserve.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
To bad your all apathetic. ..

If you were really concerned you would be calling offering a home for the kid to recover in .
Go on being shocked an appalled at this . I'm sure somebody will step in and help . .

There was a term for this coined i believe due to that stabbing in London?
Where everyone saw the attack but did nothing because they all thought each other would.. The term escapes me . But that what this reminds me of .

If i had the resources i would probably be on the phone . And not posting here .

If only i could adopt :/

[edit on 8-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

I think the kid probably needs someone a little bit more experienced, mature, and skilled than a 32 year old with a 27 year old wife and two kids still in diapers at this point in his life. Honestly, I have nothing to offer the young man other than my prayers. I'm sure the system in Florida thanks you for believing that this has anything whatsoever to do with him being able to find a foster home. You have bought the swerve which was intended to direct your attention away from the almighty dollar and the relation between a person's net worth and the actual value of their life.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
To bad your all apathetic. ..
If you were really concerned you would be calling offering a home for the kid to recover in .
Go on being shocked an appalled at this . I'm sure somebody will step in and help . .

Well in this specific case it would in fact be very difficult for someone not in that area, and someone not already approved as a foster parent to provide any sort of help.

There are a lot of very very messed up drug babies out there. It is very sad but the fact is many of them will be messed up for the rest of their lives.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I know its a slippery slope. But all it proves is that are people that can help but just do not ..

Maybe directing my comments at the boards was off base . As i was more referring to anyone that could help and isn't .

When the laws fail is it not the duty of the people to step in and either make a change or force one ?

So maybe we in this thread cant do anything directly . Maybe a few of us could . But that fact remains .
Something needs to be done and fast.
I doubt we have time to change the system on this one . As I'm sure he has little life left .
So instead of complaining about whats broken .

Just fore this one time . We can speculate solutions?

(Sorry i suck at posting in emotional threads)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05Just fore this one time . We can speculate solutions?

Well the only thing I could think of doing would be trying to get more media coverage of the story in Florida. If this story was milked for all it is worth in the state where this is happening they may get a foster parent to hear about it, or pressure the gov people into fixing the problem.

Is Jeb Bush still Govenor of Florida? Bring it to his doorstep with tons of coverage. He is all about pro-life. He could not act like he doesn't care about this case if the state was watching. If I recall Jeb Bush got all upset over that poor Terri Schiavo woman dying, this case would certainly be worse.

(These are of course ideas that other people could pursue.)

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is a new story. From what I have seen in the past, whenever a heart-wrenching situation such as this gets enough publicity, whether people or animals are involved, there comes an outpouring of offers to help.

I bet the same thing happens in this case. Say a prayer and wait and see.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No, Charlie Crist is now the governor of Florida. I actually believe Jeb Bush would have probably done something for this kid. He had a fairly strong humanitarian record while governor and it was part of the reason he was extremely popular.

Aside from that, (I'm gonna sound like a liberal on this one, unfortunately) I'd like to know where the Oprah Winfreys and Home Makeover people are in cases like this. Apparently it's preferable to be on TV giving housewives in your audience brand new cars and state of the art big screen plasma TVs over actually making a difference in a person's life above and beyond material possessions and trinkets. Maybe instead of giving out a boob job and facelift Oprah could use some of her pull to make some pleas for help in the form of a home for kids like this young man.

top topics

join