It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Americans are not supporting our troops, and they should be ashamed!

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have many friends that are Iraq war veterans, and other than the horror of war they all have one thing in common. They were dumped, or where cheated on by there significant other while they were away serving there country. And according to these friends, this is wide spread, they all witnessed there brothers in arms going threw this over and over again.

Think about it, your thousands of miles from home in a strange country in a war setting, with extreme weather conditions, just this stress alone would make it hard to cope, waiting for that next contact from your loved ones would be the hilight of your day or week, but then add a e-mail or a phone call or a letter from the one you love dumping you, or contact from friends or relatives telling you the one you love is cheating on you. This stress is too much for many to bare.

America the one group of people who they need the most seem to be failing our boys in harms way.

In an army base in Baghdad, in functional wooden booths in a white-walled room, a row of young men in uniform stare at computer screens. Many are emailing, instant messaging or playing online card games with their wives and girlfriends seven or more time zones away. There is a background hum from others talking on a bank of phones. One soldier can be heard protesting: 'You have no idea what I'm going through out here.'

With the Iraq war in its sixth year, some of these American soldiers are on their third or fourth combat tour - 15 months away from home with just 18 days' leave. The strain is showing on their relationships and many will return home, exhausted, to find a disenchanted wife has walked out. Divorce rates among the US military are soaring.
Divorces inflict home front damage on US troops as Iraq war drags on

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Army on Thursday said suicides among active duty troops in 2007 had reached the highest level on record, due partly to the stress caused by deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Army announced that 115 soldiers, including 22 National Guard and Army Reserve troops, killed themselves last year. That marked a 12.7 percent rise from the 102 suicides recorded in 2006. There were 85 Army suicides in 2005.
U.S. Army suicides highest in 2007

This is not intended to a debate about whether or not the war is right or wrong, but how our society is really not supporting our armed forces.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Support what? A faction or mob whose primary function is to do as the elites say?

In Delhi, about a 1,000 suicides take place each year and the figure has been hovering around the mark for quite some time. It is probably the fact that suicides are fewer and far between in the highly educated regment that the rate is comparatively low in the Capital city.

Source

How many more around the world do others take their lives? Is it the faction we should be supporting or the individuals?

When one finds a cause worth dedicating ones life, that is dependent on each person. How many would be willing to put themselves in harms way when other faucets of opportunity may be available?

If it this was a defensive war where the livelihoods of the average American was threatened I would show remorse and support with what these individuals are going through.

How many of those leaving their partners are only with them for the sex or financial support? Relationships need to be nurtured and cared for. When one chooses their priorities then expect others to find other interests in life when they can no longer share it with another on a daily/weekly bases.

It's one thing to nurture friends on-line.. but thats not how a human being wishes to share their surroundings with a significant other.

There are so many levels to comprehend of why a relationship starts or ends that it would be futile for me to list them here and now.

This article only pulls out the bad parts of what this war generates so as to feed the hunger for those who relish despair and turmoil so as to make ones life feel that much more bearable.

I'm sure you can pull other articles of those who commit suicide and will find that same conclusion. Some just feel lost to who they are and what is around them that moving on may be better. We all perish.. its just a matter of when and how. Dying is not bad.. I'll not elaborate on that. If it was.. then war would not exist.

So whose buttons is this article trying to push would be a more legit question.

"The Cheating Culture: Why More Americans Are Doing Wrong to Get Ahead."

"I guess what surprised me as I dug into this dark side of American life, is that a lot of the people who were cutting corners to get ahead academically, professionally and financially, these are normal people," he said. "This is not some kind of 'them' problem, this is an 'us' problem."

Callahan said. The first compass dictates decisions people make regarding sex, drugs, violence or drunk driving. The second compass guides behavior when it comes to getting ahead in school, work or money matters, he said. The second compass has developed because America has changed in the last few decades, Callahan said.

"When it comes to money and success, we have become more cut throat," he said. "It's more of a dog-eat-dog society."

Sour ce

So what is Americans morals today? When information about what religion, politics and any other group or organization is based on stepping on others to get ahead.

Who looks out for number one? And at what cost to others should number one be appeased? This is an individual question we all must answer.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's the way the Country's been conditioned, everything is a craze of the month type thing, years ago a movie like Star Wars would come out and it would be the top movie for about six months with it playing in theaters for about five, now when a big movie comes out your lucky if it's in theaters for three weeks and by the next week another big movie comes out, we have been conditioned for a weak attention span and this spills into other things like war politics ect ect.

So when a war like the Iraq war happens this era of people are not use to a long war, remember WW2 wasen't that far removed before the Korean war and then came Nam, so i'm not sure if it's not supporting as it is forgetting.

And for the record i'm againts the war, but do i support our troops???, your dame right i do.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If there was a draft going on, it would be a different story, but I can't bring myself to feel bad for soldiers that were duped into fighting an illegal "war" that is actually a terrorist operation by the US on an innocent country. Perhaps the bad things the troops are going thru is what some call 'karmic retribution'.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Yeah sorry if I can't support someone whos main job is to KILL. Why are they considered heroes for going over to another country and killing people. And they do this to help the elites stay rich and powerful.

Nothing will end the war unless the people themselves refuse to fight.

I hear alot of soldiers say well "it takes courage to go and fight a war that you don't believe in". What is that? Come on that is just sad. It takes a hell of alot more courage to not go and fight at all!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
your right some americans dont support our troops. i completely agree. those that dont support them should be brought up on war crimes charges!

now for a list of those who dont support our troops:

George W Bush
Dick Cheney
Hillary Clinton
Barak Obama
Condoleeza Rice
John McCain

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Having lived in a military town, I have seen this kind of thing happen all too often. Girls get enamored with the "men in uniform". They date and all that, then he gets shipped off over seas. She is pretty much in it for the uniform and not the man that wears it, in a couple of months she is looking for a new uniform, rinse and repeat. I have seen this happen to my friends, and that is about the only thing I can conclude from it. It is sad and disheartening, but one of the perils of the job. It is heartless and completely unfair, but it happens to alot of professions; puck bunnies, ball bunnies, uniform bunnies...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think part of the problem stems from the fact that we're dealing with an altogether differnt generation. A generation that is used to being the center of attention. A generation that demands instant gratification.

It comes as no surprise that these long-distance marriages are experiencing relationship problems. They don't understand, nor care about long-term commitments. Especially when couples are pulled apart by overseas military duty.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I should clairify i don't support Bush, Cheney or anyone else ahead of this tool of a war for there supposed NWO, just a way to try and take over another country.

Never forget these men belong to Bohemian Grove and Alex Jones showed you what there all about.

As far as a soldier saying no to fighting in a war that should be happening with this war but "what you gonna do" as Hulk Hogan would say, but as people i do support them, most are uniformed of what's really going on so i don't blame them like i said as human beings i support them.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
"They were dumped, or where cheated on by there significant other while they were away serving there country."
Thats always happened, to kings generals soldiers commanders, if you look back over history.
However in the old days they would hide it for fear of persecution.
Many baby's born to soldiers are not there own.
This I believe shows the high degree of selfishness of the human race.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I shouldn't be expected to "support the troops" any more than I should be expected to "support the supermarket checkers" or "support the long shore fishermen," because what it boils down to is that they are people doing the jobs they volunteered for.

Yeah, the job sucks, and yeah, they could get killed, and a lot of them ended up somewhere they don't want to be. But the same can be said of a lot of jobs. The only difference is that theirs has an obvious political connection.

I support the troops with my taxes, just like I support the cable repair guys with a check. My cable repair guy seems to do just fine without my moral or emotional support.

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
WAKE UP!!!!

It's NOT a crime to be against the war, in fact most civilised, intelligent folk are AGAINST it.

The only people who I know who are FOR it, seem to be the neo-con loving nut cases that pass themselves off for patriotic americans on this website (and I'm certainly not tarring all Americans with the same brush)...

The REAL patriots are those that oppose this evil and illegal war.

Seriously... Those soldiers weren't forced into joining the army, so stop trying to make people feel bad for being against it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The troops have been used and abused by the current administration. It is a shame that they were too young, or just lacking in any ability to think independently (as most soldiers are), but I would not blame them. Bush Cheney and their oil masters own this one.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

This is not intended to a debate about whether or not the war is right or wrong, but how our society is really not supporting our armed forces.

I do not support our armed forces, sorry. I don't support them directly because the war is not right. War is hell, and I would never sign up for it unless I was protecting my life or liberty. Society isn't supporting them because society does not believe in the war. You can claim you don't want to debate this, but it is a direct cause and effect relationship.

I think part of the problem stems from the fact that we're dealing with an altogether differnt generation. A generation that is used to being the center of attention. A generation that demands instant gratification.

It comes as no surprise that these long-distance marriages are experiencing relationship problems. They don't understand, nor care about long-term commitments. Especially when couples are pulled apart by overseas military duty.

1. We're not. there's 3 generations fighting in this war.
2. Happens every war, as cited.
3. You shouldn't sign up for something you can't do. If you can't be away from your man for a long time, you shouldn't be in a relationship with someone in the military.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow...some of the really UGLY replies in this thread are honestly shocking.

And yes it is sad when their loved ones disappoint then, or even abandon them when they are off at war.

But that sort of thing has always gone on, it was so bad during WWII they implemented The Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1943 to prevent wives from getting divorces while their husbands are overseas (they can get a divorce but the husband has to waive that right).

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I cannot comprehend how some individuals don't support the troops. Who ever said you had to support the war in order to support the troops?

It is absolutely shocking to hear people say, "I don't support the troops." It's equally disgusting to hear them say, "they volunteered for it." Do you know how ignorant you sound when you say those things?

I am completely, unequivically, one-hundred percent opposed to both the war in Afghanistan and our invasion and occupation of Iraq, however, I support our troops 100%. I wish them all a safe and speedy return to the States, and I support their decision to enlist in the first place. Most every soldier enlists to protect and defend this country, how can you fault them for that? (I will admit there are those who join just to kill # and blow stuff up).

Many individuals joined the Military right after 9/11, to protect and defend this country. How can you blame them for being duped by the government, 90% of this country was duped as well.

Many soliders were in the military prior to 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, so how do you expect them to quit now? This is their life, and their livelihood; it's all they know. Some are also extremely close to their twenty years of service, which makes them eligible for retirement (my brother included). What do you expect them to do? Quit, and find another job, having to work another twenty years to get the benefits for retirement?

My brother served twelve months in Afghanistan, and will be shipped to Iraq in just under two weeks. Do I want him to go? Do I support the cause he is fighting for? ABSOLUTELY not. Does that mean I should stop supporting him and his fellow soldiers, because I disagree with what they are doing? Like everyone has said, they have NO choice in the matter. They are forced to fight overseas, or face prison time.

Many soldiers are also in the military because it's what's best for their families. My brother has four children, and being in the military is his best way to support his wife and children.

Saying you don't support the troops is absolutely ridiculous. How is saying you don't support the troops any different than spitting on them when they return home, ala Vietnam?

Oppose the war, in fact, I hope you do, but never, never, say you don't support the troops.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Double Eights]

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I served 6 years in the U.S. Army

That being said, I certainly don't support the troops. No one has "fought for our freedom" in a very long time. If they wish to do so, they would stage an attack on Washington DC.

They voluntarily became pawns of a corrupt, criminal government. I did too.

They volunteered to do the dirty work for large, multinational corporations. I did too.

They volunteered to commit many years of their developmental stages of life to a job with little pay. I did too.

I think I am a better person because of my service (it gave me an outlet for my aggression and taught me numerous useful skills), but at no time was I under the delusion that what I was doing was patriotic, honorable, or noble.

I certainly never expected anyone to support me, nor do I support those who made the same choices I did.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

We all have ONE life to live.. and sometimes the easier road is a lot better then a road of morals and beliefs.

Thats the problem with todays society.. to dependent on material wealth to feel comfortable while we live.

This is not to say I don't understand or know of those who suffer physically or mentally or both.

Interesting how some fight for a cause ... and then those who fight to live. This can be saved for another thread...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights
I cannot comprehend how some individuals don't support the troops. Who ever said you had to support the war in order to support the troops?
Thats like saying "who ever said you have to support the sun to support photosynthesis?" You cant have war without soldiers, you cant have photosynthesis without sun.

It is absolutely shocking to hear people say, "I don't support the troops." It's equally disgusting to hear them say, "they volunteered for it." Do you know how ignorant you sound when you say those things?

uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group ...
uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"

My opinion could only be considered ignorant if i wasn't educated on the subject.

I am completely, unequivically, one-hundred percent opposed to both the war in Afghanistan and our invasion and occupation of Iraq, however, I support our troops 100%. I wish them all a safe and speedy return to the States, and I support their decision to enlist in the first place. Most every soldier enlists to protect and defend this country, how can you fault them for that? (I will admit there are those who join just to kill # and blow stuff up).
Illustrate to me how they are protecting me and defending me.

Many individuals joined the Military right after 9/11, to protect and defend this country. How can you blame them for being duped by the government, 90% of this country was duped as well.
You just called me ignorant but wrote a free pass for them and 90% of people everywhere to be ignorant.

Many soliders were in the military prior to 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, so how do you expect them to quit now? This is their life, and their livelihood; it's all they know. Some are also extremely close to their twenty years of service, which makes them eligible for retirement (my brother included). What do you expect them to do? Quit, and find another job, having to work another twenty years to get the benefits for retirement?
I expect them to exercise their rights as free willed free thinking americans to do what they choose, and to accept the consequences of their choice. If they don't support my choices they aren't fighting for my freedom, thats certain.

My brother served twelve months in Afghanistan, and will be shipped to Iraq in just under two weeks. Do I want him to go? Do I support the cause he is fighting for? ABSOLUTELY not. Does that mean I should stop supporting him and his fellow soldiers, because I disagree with what they are doing? Like everyone has said, they have NO choice in the matter. They are forced to fight overseas, or face prison time.
Cause and effect, action and consequence. The Merovingian can explain it to you.
Many soldiers are also in the military because it's what's best for their families. My brother has four children, and being in the military is his best way to support his wife and children.

Saying you don't support the troops is absolutely ridiculous. How is saying you don't support the troops any different than spitting on them when they return home, ala Vietnam?
Because they are 2 different things

Oppose the war, in fact, I hope you do, but never, never, say you don't support the troops.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Double Eights]

When you can start telling me what I can and cannot say, what I can and cannot think, that is when you are my master and freedom is dead and gone. That day will never come as long blood flows in my veins.

I love America, I bleed red white and blue. I will do what I damn well please and I will accept the consequences of my actions.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by jprophet420]

[edit on 8-7-2008 by jprophet420]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Soliders MAKE the war.

Yes I do feel for them, of course, they are humans, some have gotten themselves into something they don't want. But without soldiers there would be no war! supporting solders = supporting the war.

Anyone can become a soldier, being a soldier does not mean people should automatically respect you, soldiers have to EARN respect by doing what is RIGHT.

If the war is not right, then they are not doing what is right by staying in the war = no support.

Soldiers are supposed to help the world by doing what is right, when they do something to gain my respect, then I will support them for sure.

Soldiers are not protecting us, our freedom etc, like so many seem to say, right now they are hired for the goverments own political agendas.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join