It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what IF human used 100% of their MINDS???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
ive heard (from various sources that i dont have the patience to list...sry) that humans only use 5-10% of their brains!!! whats up wit dat?!?!?!

what IF we used 100% of our brains/minds??? would we descover God and stuff like that???

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I doubt we'd discover god, but we'd be lot smarter and have a better memory. Well at least thats what I assume.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
We do use 100% Some of us just have more to use than others
faculty.washington.edu...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
not to be an advocate, but many say that mind stimulants (cough cough DRUGS DRUGS DRGUS) actually expand the ability to use more of your brain. hence some peoples excuse to use em. i believe this completely, but still dont do drugs. why? because id get caught

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well, as far as drugs. You could take Ginkgo Biloba and something called Vinpocetine. There not really drugs, but they do increase the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain.

I don't believe the theory that we only use 5-10% of our brains. How in the hell can you calculate something like that anyway? Show me the formula.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well the subconcious is 90% of your being and the concios 10%. I think this is what they mean. If we could bring the subconcious to the forefront we would be very enlightented beings

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i think that the 10% is only for thinking and communicating and memory and all that stuff. the other 90% controls the smooth muscles, hormonal secretion, and other functions that don't involve concsious thought and believe me, there's a lot more UNconcious things going on in our brain than concious.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
i think that we do use 100% of our brains, but just that we're not capable of using more than 10% at one time.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
ive heard (from various sources that i dont have the patience to list...sry) that humans only use 5-10% of their brains!!! whats up wit dat?!?!?!

what IF we used 100% of our brains/minds??? would we descover God and stuff like that???

Well I know that you would discover how to stop making crappy threads and making Agent47's eyes water with every word you type.

That and we'd figure out a lot more conspiracies.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Well I know that you would discover how to stop making crappy threads and making Agent47's eyes water with every word you type.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all and stop clogging up the forums.

We probably can't use 100% of our brains for a reason only our brains know. Your brains is conciously aware of itself.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Actually the myth humans using only 5-10% of their brains is false. Humans do not use their entire brain but they use the majority of it like 98% or something.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
concoius mind = 10% eg the applications on a computer
subconscious = 90% eg the system settings

your subconscious is like a filtering part of your brain aswell. It is processed through your subconscious and all the junk is filtered out, (thats how you can listen to someone speaking at a party when everyone around u is screaming and the music is on loud as) and is then passed forth to your conscious mind.
You can condition yourself though, eg. 'changing the system settings'. Your brain can be programed very much like a computer can be, although obviously not with wires software etc.

You conscious mind is very resisting. But your subconscious thought patterns are being reprogrammed every day. Subliminal Messaging
If your conscious mind wasn't like this, you could be self suggesting and your mind could be a far more powerful tool.

Actually the myth humans using only 5-10% of their brains is false. Humans do not use their entire brain but they use the majority of it like 98% or something.
Yea but most of our brain isn't focused on what we want. Its focused on a whole lot of garbage around us. If we can focus our brain power on our goals etc. then we will most definately do most things we set our mind to.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

That and we'd figure out a lot more conspiracies.

Ohhhh snap. LMAO!!

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
No, it's just an urban myth, like quicksilver said. Scientific American: Ask the Experts: Do we really use only 10 percent of our brains?.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well since scientists really don't know jack about the human brain, that whole percentage of usage thing is an assumption.

Seeing as how it is still not completely understood how our seemingly simple backs function, I wouldn't believe too much of what a scientist says about the brain.

There's some mysterious and I am sure dangerous stuff sleeping in there that we may not want to know about.

But that brings something to Mind. (no pun intended) If we were genetically manufactured by an advanced race, maybe they created the unknown parts of our brains/minds for their own purposes...

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
If we take into account that the brain is a very fast electrical organic central processing unit and that synapses and other crap in our brain are either firing or not firing (essentially how binary works, 0 or 1s, 1=On, 0=Off, just like the electrical inorganic CPUs that are in everything we use nowadays) and we look at how an electrical inorganic CPU's performance is used, then we might come to the conclusion that when a minimum of processes are going on, our brains are at their lowest performance and energy level, when we have a maximum of processes going on, then our brains could possibly be jumping from a performance of 90 to 100% in sporadic burst - just like that of an electrical inorganic CPU (my naming terminology : ). BUT, it could be that we are only using those portions of the brain that we have developed through knowledge gains, genetics, anomalies, etc... What this means to me is that we may not actually use all 100% of our brains, because most peope have yet to "explore" those regions of their brain, whether it be from not expanding their knowledge, illnesses, genetic disorders, etc... Or they just aren't trying to. In effect, we can use up to 100% performance of our brain, when required, but only in those regions we have "discovered" - or should I say, expanded to (and this could be that Dendrites and Axons start in centralized points and then - if you are inclined to work on your brain - they will, over time, expand and grow deeper and deeper into what amounts to unused portions of your brain) . This might explain why we have the ability to continually get wiser throughout our years (if we so choose, otherwise you also have the ability to become "simpler" - guess that's why they say, "you use it, or you lose it" ) and do things that we never could have before because we just might not of "reached" a "certain" region of our brain yet. I'll probably be able to explain this even better once I "reach" one of those "certain" regions of my brain.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

An urban legend, frequently disproved, that still keeps coming up.

Having and using a brain doesn't mean you turn into a super genius. I can use 100% of the muscles in my body, but I assure you that I'm not going to turn into an international weight lifter and bench press small Volkswagens any time soon.

There are other organisms that use 100% of their nervous systems/brains (flatworms, etc) and they haven't gotten much more out of it than "food is thataway" and "sex is good."

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
i think that we do use 100% of our brains, but just that we're not capable of using more than 10% at one time.

While one is tempted to say this is so t rue, in fact, it's an urban legend.

Remember, 15% of your brain controls simple things like breathing and remembering to blink and knowing "up" from "down." If you're watching something, then you're engaging another area of your brain (a fairly sizeable one). Listening and hearing are also brain functions, as is understanding language, responding to sensory information, storage of memories (which are constantly being accessed), retrieval of information, interpreting symbolic data (letters, words, images), responding to the environment.

...and then, some of us sit around and think on top of all that.

The brain's a busy organ, really.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I dont know if 5-10% is correct, nor have I (or anyone in my opinion) a way to measure it. But, I would think that we have the capacity to learn everything and anything. So unless scientists somehow grow a brain, keep it alive, and force-feed it information untill it explodes, we will never know what, if any, the percentage/capacity of the human brain.

posted on Mar, 21 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Bravo guys

I was going to say that the 10% thingiee was an urban myth, but it seems that over 50% of the posters to this thread have also said that.

Nice to see that we can seperate fact from fallacies

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join