It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Training vs. What you actually do...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm curious as to what the members here actually are employed as, in contrast to what they were trained for.

Personally I have a MS in Anthropology/Archeology and thought I was destined to be an academic. I used my California teaching credential for
1 year in a small JC and found out quickly that academia wasn't for me.

Fortunately I have good dexterity and spatial/design skills and started making things. Sandals, furniture, Pots, Jewelry, guitars, shrines, prototypes for promotional items and fine art. It is actually my design studio that makes me a living.

I also am an avid flyfisherman so I started a guide and outfitting service.

And my first love, music, has began to pay off as I play in a couple bands.

And I have gotten involved in the movie industry as an extra/standin, mainly for the camaraderie and socialization, if you catch my drift.

What do you do???

[edit on 8-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I originally went for a PhD in philosophy, but after I got my M.A. decided I didn't want to be a professor, but still enjoyed all the other benefits of the university such as the open lectures, great library, etc. So, I got my M.S. in information science and have been working in libraries for eight years now.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Information Science? Sounds quite broad.

But what, no dirigible pilots that became Shepard's?

I think I know what the problem is...
Everyone is still in training except us geezers that have burned out multiple times.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I trained as a chef, worked in two high end French restaurants and went to work on oil rigs and ships as a cook.
I returned to school for psychology and some courses in human interaction, communication, sociology, etc...

Now, I manage apartment buildings and do legal work for landlords and tenants.

I still love to cook, but who can ever tell what road life will take you down.
The journey is half the fun and knowing the end would ruin the trip.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I actually have an associates degree in Forestry. I used to live in Colorado and I thought that I might as well work for the National Park. Perhaps as a forest ranger or something. Well, as time went on I became a hotel employee, I worked at quite a few of them and I'm rather good at it. I prefer higher end hotels rather than flea traps.

Ive worked as a painter, a cook, a security guard, a concierge, a night auditor, a brick mason, and a convenience store clerk.

As of late however, I'm unemployed looking for work every day.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

As of late however, I'm unemployed looking for work every day.

I have a rule.
Never look for work, decide what you want to do and just do it......
Screw all the other applicants, just inform the employer that you'll be starting now.

Tenacity pays, as in your next paycheck.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I feel so boring reading all these posts.

I do what I was trained to do - Bookkeeping and computer applications. It's made it very easy to jump from industry to industry when I get bored.

It's nice to know I can move most anywhere and be able to find a job.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

ok I have decided to become a microscopic brain surgeon
who's my first patient? And where did I put that ice cream scoop?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I'll let you practice as long as you put everything back and make my mind comfortably numb for the rest of my days.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

What, how much for a transplant? I want this guys brain........

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I went to community college planning on an AA in computer sicence. But after 1 year the place I was interning at offered me a full time job doing PC support for good pay, so I stoped taking classes.

Now after 13 years I still do the same thing. Its fun work, but its getting too boring and too easy. Still, I cant complain, most of the US relies on computers. So finding work is quick!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It also occurred to me....
How many people follow someone Else's advice in their course of study?

And wind up miserable wretches because they missed the opportunity to follow their dreams.

I think I would rather be a trout bum than a insurance executive or a tractor salesman.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
My job?

I am a counselor, cook, driver, entertainment director, financial planner, travel agent, teacher, nurse, CEO, general maintance worker, and housekeeper whom, I've read somewhere, earns....$131,471.00 annually paid in full by hugs and kisses. I've never had formal training, but I'm quite good at what I do. Anyone wanna guess?

Rush

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmmm.........
I was trained to jump out of airplanes, be invisible to an enemy, be willing to die for your brothers in arms, and never leave a man behind.
Now I'm in sales.
Now that's kind of different, eh?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
My job?

I am a counselor, cook, driver, entertainment director, financial planner, travel agent, teacher, nurse, CEO, general maintance worker, and housekeeper whom, I've read somewhere, earns....$131,471.00 annually paid in full by hugs and kisses. I've never had formal training, but I'm quite good at what I do. Anyone wanna guess?

Rush

I'll take a wild guess and guess "wife and mother"
Bless your heart!!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

And yes, you would be right.

Rush

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
reply to post by whaaa

And yes, you would be right.

Rush

I knew it!! I knew it!! See all that education, degrees and life experience has paid off big time.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I knew it!! I knew it!! See all that education, degrees and life experience has paid off big time.

LMAO. The unlimited amount of diversified knowledge here at ATS never ceases to amaze me.

You're too funny!

Rush

new topics

top topics

join