It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous posers posting as valued members?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Salutations!

Well, today i'm feeling a little spikey (you can misconstrue that however you want) so i decided i'd take a pop and see what happened.

As many members are probably aware, the recent advent of ATS's capability for members to post anonymously has shown to be a good choice.

Everyone likes being anonymous from time to time.

However, when certain individuals say things along the lines of "Oh, i've been a member/lurker here for X years, so whatever i say next had better be listened to" it kinda takes the beeswax.

I don't think, that when the system was created, this was what the powers that be at ATS had in mind (although undoubtedly they knew it was going to happen
).

All i ask for is that in future for members and lurkers to show a little more confidence when posting.

No one has to listen to you, but by posting "I've been a member/lurker here for X years" it does nothing for your point.

Show some guts.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It really doesn't bother me. If they can back up the comments with some knowledge then it's all good. If they show some ignorants then you can see why they're lurkers for X amount of time. I don't let little things like this bother me. Hopefully they'll become a member with a little more confidence & guts to become an alter ego maniac.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've made an anonymous post while working on someones computer other than my own, but I didn't make any reference to me being a member.

The number of years I've spent at this site should have no bearing on the contribution I make to a thread. What I write is the only thing that should matter in each and every post I make, not how long I've been posting.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Not how long I've been posting.

Which is exactly my point.

I don't see why people should feel that they even need to put that little statement at the start of their posts if posting anonymously.

All they do is serve to devalue the ultimate worth of the anonymous posting system.

Fear effects us all in as many ways as we walk.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think it's probably because they might think that by posting anonymously they will not be taken as seriously as actual members, or something like that. I even admit that the first time I posted anonymously the irrational worry did cross my mind that I wouldn't be taken seriously at all, and I wouldn't doubt it if others felt the same way (it's a shame, though. There really is no reason to fear posting without noting how long you've been here).

I definitely agree with the above posts.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by nina.]

new topics

top topics

join