It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholesterol drugs urged for some 8-year-olds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Cholesterol drugs urged for some 8-year-olds

www.msnbc.msn.com

For the first time, an influential doctors group is recommending that some children as young as 8 be given cholesterol-fighting drugs to ward off future heart problems.

It is the strongest guidance ever given by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which released its new guidelines Monday. The academy also recommends low-fat milk for 1-year-olds and wider cholesterol testing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Senators who protected Big Pharma received millions of dollars from drug companies
Drug Companies Inventing Diseases!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I heard some one say some time ago that eighty percent of Americans are whacked out on prescription drugs. Of that the most profatible for the drug companies are cholesterol lowering drugs. Now it seems at least some medical professionals are saying these drugs should be given to children. I have little ability to argue with a medical professional. I can however ask, is this push to get kids on cholesterol lowering being perpetrated by the drug companies, who pay the medical professionals to do so?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It isn't this type of news that alarms me its all the ignorant-sheep that will actually follow this advice because they are part of the problem and can't see it! Children don't stand a chance with parents who are so ignorant about what is healthy for themselves never mind the children that's in their care.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
this reminds me of

news.bbc.co.uk...

a bit. i wonder how they're justifying these ever falling cholesterol limits.

The researchers found high tofu consumption - at least once a day - was associated with worse memory, particularly among the over-68s.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

Thanks for posting.
I got to say I think a lot of what you said is right. Parents may very well be ignorant to what is or is not best when it comes to health. But what I think this is more then anything is the corporate complex trying to control everyone. There might be one in a half a million children or so who really need those drugs, but now the companies will be trying to push it to everyone. I don't really know why to medical professionals seem to be on board with this. I hope the source listed is making this seem out of proportion.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

are you people kidding. prescription drugs are made by scientist they got to be good for you..

i seriously doubt 80% of america is "whacked out" on prescriptions. i dont think that many people could afford to be "whacked out"......

havent you ever seen a cherieo's ad. just eat them.

[edit on 15amu82007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I was wondering when someone on here would get around to posting this. I heard about it yesterday, and was screaming at the radio so much I am sure I was swerving. Luckily, no cops around at that time.

When will the people.... OK, sheeple... wake up and see they are being milked to death? Now their children are getting the same treatment. As
i understand it, these drugs that are being touted as necessary for the childrens' health are ones that need to be continued once started, for life. That is a nice little nest egg for some pharmaceutical CEO.

May God have mercy on the doctor that tries to pull this on a member of my family... because I doubt I will be able to. Perhaps the movie The Matrix had it wrong... there is no need for a pod, all that is needed to control humans is a prescription.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yes, corporate complex being allowed to set agendas then an almost unopposed mandate to inflict their prescribed panacea. There is no true independence of anything these days, as you eluded to, its corporate driven and the guiding hands of the unseen elite controllers (my term) creating/funding their policies that shape how we live, cradle to our untimely grave! We are in their grip (even those that can see it) and its almost impossible to avoid contributing to their goals even if its just working for large organisations or owning a credit card. But, aware as I am I still voice my opinion to any one that listens and ask the simple question of those who disagree. “What aspect of your life do you control and costs you nothing?” – I myself struggle to find something other than my ability to reason and question but I know I’m constantly being subject to attempted brainwashing and conditioning to stop this independent thought. So what of those that doesn’t see this, what chance do they have of taking control of even a small portion of their lives?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wow. This is horrible. What the AAP should be recommending is a punch to the face of every parent who still feeds their overweight child soft drinks.

Looking at the article, the one thing that immediately caught my eye was the video still of the overweight girl, with a Dr. Pepper in her face! That is the culprit, not cholesterol.

And then, the article states that the AAP suggests that 1 year olds be drinking low fat milk. This is outrageous! Weight gain in children is associated with drinking low fat and skim milk.

How 'bout this study in which the article states.....

Contrary to our hypotheses, we found that (1) children who reported higher total milk intake experienced larger weight gains; (2) children who drank more 1% and skim milk had larger weight gains than those who drank smaller amounts of 1% and skim milk; (3) dietary calcium intake was positively correlated with weight gain; and (4) dairy fat was not.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So why are we still drinking low fat and skim milk????

Sorry about drifting a little off topic. It just really gets at me. So many myths and misinformation have come about over the last 30 years or so and not enough people are aware of how certain foods interact in their bodies.

Cholesterol is not a bad guy. It's sad seeing all the misinformation and just flat out lies that are circulating about it and other dietary counterparts.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

join