It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama's Vice Presidential Choices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Instead of partisan bickering about who said what, I'd like to have an open discussion on who Above Politics thinks Obama will choose for his VP. I encourage someone else to make a similar thread for McCain.

My bet's on Evan Bayh. He's the current Junior Senator of Indiana and served two immensely successful terms as governor of that state prior.

He has:

• Executive experience as governor
  • Legislative experience as Senator
  • Midwestern background
  • Ability to carry Indiana's 11 Electoral Votes
  • History of working across party lines
  • Strong fiscal experience (both major tax cuts and budget surpluses during his governor years)
  • Relatively moderate positions on some issues (abortion for example)
  • Consistently criticized Bush administration
  • Literally no scandals or skeletons that I could find online

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Stressing fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, job creation and lean government, Bayh's tenure as governor was highlighted by eight years without raising taxes, the largest single tax cut and largest budget surplus in state history, "welfare-to-work"–type social programs, increasing annual school funding, high academic standards and new college opportunities, the creation of over 350,000 new jobs, the strengthening of law enforcement and improved environmental quality. He signed the 21st Century Scholars Act in 1992, legislation that states that every child in Indiana who is eligible for the free lunch program in a public school, graduates from high school and signs a pledge not to experiment with illegal drugs is entitled to a full tuition scholarship to an Indiana public university of his or her choice. By the end of his second term, Bayh had an approval rating of nearly 80 percent.

He's a nonthreatening white guy from middle America with an extremely strong economic background and has been extremely well liked throughout his entire political career. Frankly I'm surprised he didn't run for President in 2008. To top it off, he's said he's open to being Obama's VP.

Originally I wanted Mark Warner, but Bayh is very similar and Warner is assured to win his Senate election.

Other thoughts?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I really don't think Obama should pick another Senator. The rule is America doesn't elect Senators as President... well, this year we obviously are. However, putting 2 Senators (a la Kerry/Edwards) on the ticket really goes against Obama's anti-Washington establishment campaign. I think Jim Webb could possibly pull it off since he's about as anti-Washington as you can get and he's got plenty of cred beyond the Senate. But even he's a long shot in my opinion.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer. He's a "new" Democrat like Obama... one that isn't afraid to fight. He's a great speaker and has had great success with getting controversial things through the Montana legislature. He would also be a shoe in to turn the now purple Montana blue.

Brian Schweitzer

Search him on YouTube and imagine an Obama/Schweitzer Democratic Convention.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Personally, i get this feeling that Obama's VP doesnt really mean anything, whereas the McCain campaign seems to be hanging on for deal life on finding a good quality VP.

says something about the candidates.

of course thats just my take on the situation after watching TV, and reading these forums.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I would love to see Joe Biden or Chuck Hagel. Biden because he's a pit bull and Hagel because he's a republican who has been against the war in Iraq.

Forget Colin Powell. If you think the people out there that are not voting for Obama because he's Black are pissed, just wait and see if he picks Powell.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
walkinghomer, I'm with you all the way! I heard recently that Joe Biden is a option and I'm thrilled with that! I think he and Obama make a better pair than any I've seen. I'm very excited to see who he chooses.

Although Bayh would be a fine choice, he's another "unknown". People know Joe Biden.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
Instead of partisan bickering about who said what, I'd like to have an open discussion on who Above Politics thinks Obama will choose for his VP. I encourage someone else to make a similar thread for McCain.

My bet's on Evan Bayh.

Don't bet your whole paycheck. Evan Bayh for VP is the exact Democratic formula that has so famously lost so many elections to Republicans.

#1 he's a Clinton/DLC Democrat: poisonous this year
#2 he supported the invasion of Iraq
#3 he brings nothing (READ no foreign policy experience) to the ticket
#4 Obama can win that state without him on the ticket.

All he would represent is a concession to Camp Clinton. Obama is smarter than that.

In my estimation, the best possible pick for Obama is Virginia Sen. Jim Webb; unfortunately, he has pulled his name from contention.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Personally, i get this feeling that Obama's VP doesnt really mean anything, whereas the McCain campaign seems to be hanging on for deal life on finding a good quality VP.

Were I advising the McCain campaign, I would tell him to go with former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.

*let's laughter subside*

It's the only way to shore up the conservative base. I'm not saying that cos Huck's qualified (foreign policy mainly); clearly he's not. But he won a great many votes that McCain needs. Those voters are the folks that aren't yet sold on McCain. Without them, he can't hope to win - even if they try flipping votes via diebold hackery.

The kiss of death for McCain:

Mitt Romney
Joe Lieberman

Gawd, I hope he chooses Lieberman. LOL

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by walkinghomer
I would love to see Joe Biden or Chuck Hagel. Biden because he's a pit bull and Hagel because he's a republican who has been against the war in Iraq.

Forget Colin Powell. If you think the people out there that are not voting for Obama because he's Black are pissed, just wait and see if he picks Powell.

As a former (Reagan) Republican, I think Hagel would be a great pick. Unfortunately, the left-wing would absolutely freak. So, Obama almost certainly can't go there. Sec. Defense, maybe.

As for Powell, that ain't gonna happen. But he is so brave he might just endorse Obama.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Evan Bayh certainly is known in Indiana, where I live. Indiana is a big red state, and Obama probably won't win it with or without Bayh, even though Bayh would help, Obama's on the edge, but I don't think it's enough to push him over.

Bayh is a good choice in my opinion, seems like things have gone down hill in here since he has been out of the governors office.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
Bayh is a good choice in my opinion, seems like things have gone down hill in here since he has been out of the governors office.

Don't let the media spin get to you. Outside of your state Even Baye is virtually unknown to the average voter. He's just another boring white guy to most Americans.

He's who they want you to see.

Also, forget the polls they keep shoving us. The majority of them are national and paid for by those who have an interest in the outcome. They are skewed; they also do not account for those who use only cell-phones. Add 10 % onto Obama's count b/c of that.

This presidential year is unlike any we have ever seen (in the last 40 yrs).... except for 1980, the year a hopeful outsider swept away the incumbant.

top topics

join