It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity. is it really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have known the word christian for my entire life. I have always heard it used and applied over and over. I do not know for certain what it stands for at all. But I am asking simply, is Christianity, really christian any longer. For what the word stands for has it become a routine, a face people put on, is something countries place behind them as support because of what it means to people?

I know the word christian has changed over the centuries for sure. I know people in the past of the history of the world used it, but not as much as I see it today, it seems to be on slogans, on people religious views on popular networking sites. I know it stands for those who believe in Jesus, and God. It has all those who stand behind God, Yaweh of the Bible.

I just see it everywhere. Even people who do not really go to church or even care about God call themselves christians because of so many random things. There is no written law to what people are allowed to say they are or what they believe in, and who cares its just a word and words are words, they wont break bones or kill.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I think a lot of not particularly religious people call themselves Christians either because that was the religion they were raised in, or that is the religion of the general culture they were raised in. So in this sense "Christian" is a kind of cultural marker rather than an actual testament to religious belief.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ragster

I do not know for certain what it stands for at all.

Probably, you could look it up in an up-to-date dictionary of common usage, and get several meanings, as you point out.
Despite all of that, there is something that exists, that would fit the original definition of the word.
It is not found in a building or institution, or slogan.
It is in the hearts of the true believers.

join