It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luke, worst Jedi ever!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It's Monday night, it's pouring outside and I'm watching Return of the Jedi on Spike.

The question is this....

Is Luke the worst Jedi ever?? Compared to the Jedi in the first three films, He is pathetic, in my opinion.

What do you think??

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I hear Jedimiller coming this way, and fast approaching.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong here. I grew up on these films and they are iconic and legendary.
I'm just comparing the Jedi's in the first three films to Luke, in the final film.

Compared to Qui-Gon Jinn or Master Windu, he looks so static and tight.

Worst Jedi ever, in terms of movement.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Is he bad, absolutely. but keep in mind he didn't have the formal training that the other jedi from the earlier movies did, since the emporer disbanded the jedi. if the jedi order had been around when luke was young he would have been much better considering how easily he picked things up when he was older.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Camilo1
I hear Jedimiller coming this way, and fast approaching.

Here I am

Yes, Luke was a pretty lame jedi in the films. But have you read the books? He opens his own Jedi Academy and finds the holocron and get's retrained. In the end he becomes a better jedi than Obi Wan. But that's in the books. I know they don't count for some of you.

In the films, he's like a new student. In 2 weeks he has to learn to be a jedi. I mean come on. that's pretty hard for anyone to do. Yoda is really hard on him on Dagobah and pushes him to the limits. He was too old to start the training but you can't compare him to the old jedi of the old republic because luke has his own style. He's fighting his own battle. His jedi strenght comes from emotions and from the help of Obi Wan Kenobi in the etheral world.

That's the key, Luke is being helped by the ghost Obi Wan. They didn't have that in the Prequels, only Obi Wan learns that until the end. When Luke battles the emperor and vader actually he's getting the help of all the jedi behind him and taking in the midiclorian energy from Anakin in the suit. There are things behind Luke's battles as a jedi in the OT that are not told. But think like Luke having an army of jedi souls standing behind him and giving him the energy to become a jedi.

if you think about it, yes Luke handles the lighsaber like a wuss, but so did Yoda in the prequels. Luke used his anger to fight, but later learned to fight using his patience and think to clear his mind. In the end, Luke can't be like Darth Maul or Qui Gon Jinn, but for a lone Jedi he's a darn good jedi in the end.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The fighting in the original trilogy was based on Kendo and fencing and that a single blow from a lightsaber would be so devastating that there was no need for fancy stuff, but after films like the matrix and advancements in CGI, the fighting style changed to incorparate some of the more outragous and flamboyant martial arts.
If you want to stay with the mythology then Luke being one of the strongest jedi to ever live, doesn't need all of the dancy, prancy stuff!! lol

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I always thought that Jedi in the prequels used the Bataang fighting style more frequently as opposed to Luke, Anakin(Darth Vader), and Windu using the High-Bataang fihgting style. Yoda, I believe, used the Croste fighting style do to his combination of flips, jumps, rolls, and ducks.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Depends...on your point of view...

In the first 3 films, he's really not learned enough to even be more than a Padawan... Sure, he's a "Jedi" in the 3rd film, or so he calls himself, but only in the literature after the films does he really gain the knowledge and skill of a true Jedi Knight, then Master.

So, if limiting to just the 3 films, then yep, he was pretty much a wuss Jedi... He had a little telekinesis, some of the acrobatics, and was decent with a lightsaber. That's really about it...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah I have read pretty much all of the expanded universe novels and can say he does definatley becomes very powerful especially through the Legacy of the Force series ( The Jacen Solo/ Darth Caedus series). He was projecting realities and force visions through the force from across the galaxy. It was almost as if the writers put in an air of invincibility into his character. Great reading by the way.

edit:sp

[edit on 6-2-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I just always wondered about the difference between dark and light telekinesis....

Sith seem to be able to telekinesis even large objects with almost no difficulty, whereas Jedi seem to require great concentration to levitate anything more than small objects (i.e. the Emperor hurls down a senate balcony with ease, as does Dooku with the pillar, yet requires more effort for the Jedi to do likewise)... Never saw that explained in either the movies or books.....

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Star Wars.com answered that (or as close to an answer as the keepers of the canon actually get..lol) Sith during battle draw upon thier emotions and negative energies which are generally present when fighting. It was explained kinda like being punch drunk with adrenaline. Whereas the Jedi try to draw thier strength from calming aspects of emotions in a chaotic situation. From that perspective I can it taking Jeddi a little more effort to employ telekenisis.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Also while both Jedi and Sith train in "core" powers, telekenisis, mind tricks, physical accumen some are stronger in some than others. Also from what I have read, the more mastery of the force they have the stronger thier powers get.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
haha seriously
and even vader in the older movies sucks. WHen he was younger he was obviously a lot more agile, and "active"
that damn 200lb suit sure did slow him down haha

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think Luke is the worst jedi ever. Actully he is better then Old Ben Kenobi he sucked!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
lol Old Ben didnt even get a swing in b4 he got vaporized by the light saber! LMAO

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Alright...

Were combining movie gimmicks with cannonial facts here.

Starwars today had much more of a budget and technology for fight scenes than they did then.

Most of it was for show, and if you look at it the fights in the past Starwars were more realistic than that kung-fu flash that movies and anime now present.

Last I recall, two good sword fighters don't equal ten minute matches of pure sword clashing if you want to get technical.

Luke had VERY little resources to learn out of compare to those before him. FURTHERMORE, the jedi's back then had the privilege to spar and do missions during their everyday lives.

Luke on the other hand has to learn from the ground up... ALONE.
And he has done an amazing job as far as I'm concerned.

Think about it, Luke may not look as good as those Jedi in the new movies. But he certainly learned what they learned WITHOUT a Jedi mentor... and colossal amount of resources they had to train accordingly.

IMO Luke's best gambit is his ability to learn and adapt quickly. That definitely deserves respect.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

haha seriously
and even vader in the older movies sucks. WHen he was younger he was obviously a lot more agile, and "active"
that damn 200lb suit sure did slow him down haha

True, but at the time he was in the suit, he was one of the last Force users in the galaxy... The mere mention of his arrival put more than a few Admirals into a panic attack... With that kind of fear and rep, you don't NEED to be agile anymore...hehe....

Yeah, yeah, not trying to take too much from Luke...and yes, the old movies didn't really have the tech, etc. to showcase Jedi abilities like the newer films...but only in Jedi did Luke project the presence of a real Jedi...and it's nice to see in that flick...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Clandestino

He got quite a few swings in considering he should have been in a nursing home. Besides, it was all part of his plan. Once he saw Luke and the others made it to the Falcon, his mission was completed.
Vader had pretty good agility imo taking into account he had what, four artificial limbs and a charred body. Also factoring in the Imperial morphine he had to have been on too. Wonder he was even able to fight at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Good point,

What im wondering though is this.

If Luke and Leia are twins , then wouldnt that mean that the force is strong with her too? was it ever eluded to that she could use the force as well ?

EDIT:Typo

[edit on 20/10/2009 by Omega85]

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

She alluded to it when Luke told her about being related on Endor. Shesaid," I know, somehow I have always known." And even Luke said that the Force was strong in his family. Outside of the movies the Expanded Universe actually allowed her to train as a Jedi ( Legacy of the Force series) as well as have Jedi children.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join