It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 3, shot dead by confused police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Boy, 3, shot dead by confused police

www.news.com.au

POLICE shot dead a three-year-old boy in Rio de Janeiro after apparently mistaking the car he was in for that of fleeing armed suspects.

"There are no apologies for such a tragedy. This was a disastrous incident. As a father and a police officer, I am ashamed at what happened," Rio secretary of security Jose Mariano Beltrame said today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow. How can anyone say sorry for that?

I don't mind police shooting up cars, but make sure they get the right car!!!

That's some fairly sloppy police work... I've got a 3 year old son, so I real feel this story hit home.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've got a three year old godson man, sorry didn't quote the OP's last post. I find this sick... words cannot describe how messed up this is, as you say OP how can you say sorry? no words could sum up the emotions of the family, but then again maybe the officers are going through hell.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is terrible news!!!
No amount of apolgising will help and no amount of compensation can fix it. How can you put a price on a life?

Yes it was a sad accident but the boys family wont be seeing it that way. They will want blood. I know I would. But again. What will that fix?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajwThere are no apologies for such a tragedy.

You are all right there is no apology that will fix this....But they could start by trying.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Im not sure why you think it is ok for police to shoot up cars? It is almost never safe to do considering there are almost always innocent people around. These officers should be jailed for life with no chance of ever getting out. What they did was totally uncalled for and now they have ruined a family. 15 shots? Those officers are a disgrace.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Absolutely no apology will bring back the child.

But at the same time, how can you not say sorry? What else can you say?

And as RP says, perhaps the cops are going through hell anyway. In fact I would say they probably are. Perhaps the cops were just lazy and stupid with itchy trigger-fingers. Or maybe they were faced with a difficult decision.

If the perp was in the car, and they let him go - only to get in a shoot-out in a public place where several children were injured - then the cops would be blamed for those deaths too. We would be crying 'why didn't you stop him when you had the chance?'

My point is that this is a terrible and tragic accident. But until a full investigation is conducted, it is an accident. For now let's not worry about punishing the police officers involved. Let them punish themselves (as I'm sure they are) until a full investigation is conducted and we know the full details of what actually happened.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I can say LAWSUITE. It is absolutely horrible that this happened and I hope that this family makes this officer pay for the rest of his life.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
My point is that this is a terrible and tragic accident. But until a full investigation is conducted, it is an accident. For now let's not worry about punishing the police officers involved. Let them punish themselves (as I'm sure they are) until a full investigation is conducted and we know the full details of what actually happened.

Lets not worry about punishing them? Are you kidding? Maybe you should be the one to tell the parents of the dead kid that.
They need to be held to higher standards than the "average joe", they are trained for this kind of thing and when it goes bad everyone involved should be held accountable.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Perhaps read the rest of the sentence? 'For now' don't worry about punishing the officers.

But hey, if you're the type of person who believes in punishing people without investigating their actions and determining their innocence or guilt then there's really nothing I can do for you.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz
Im not sure why you think it is ok for police to shoot up cars?

In some situations, when the cops are certain that the perps are in the car, without anyone nearby. Sure, unload on the car and stop the crims.

However, look what happens when they are wrong!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You know what depresses me?

Would anyone be surprised to hear that this type of thing happens in Iraq all the time? Would anyone care?

I mean, when it's Brazillian police it's easy to point the finger, but when it's our own brave troops who are constantly under threat from insurgent forces pulling the trigger...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

But hey, if you're the type of person who believes in punishing people without investigating their actions and determining their innocence or guilt then there's really nothing I can do for you.

Because of thier actions they are guilty of killing a child, I don't think theres any debate about that is there (the child is dead and it was thier bullets)?

What exactly is there to investigate? The fact they thought it was a different car or had someone else in it? Thier state of mind?

No matter the outcome they killed a child, thats pretty much the bottom line here.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Oh so you were there? To be so certain of what their actions were? Oh no, wait, you're going by the always trustworthy and reliable reports of the media.

The cops probably did shoot the child, and they probably should be held to account. But perhaps we could wait for the full story, not just a media report, before we hang, draw and quarter them?

Or we could just fly off the hook and form a lynch mob. I've got some torches and pitchforks we can use...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Oh so you were there? To be so certain of what their actions were? Oh no, wait, you're going by the always trustworthy and reliable reports of the media.

Who are quoting Rio secretary of security Jose Mariano Beltrame, who said:

"There was a total lack of preparation and discernment on the part of the police,"

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well, that's enough for me. Let's fry them piggies.

[end sarcasm]

[edit on 7-7-2008 by TheStev]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I live in Rio and it's time to get the family out, they killed every one in the car, because they pulled over and stopped, like your supposed to do when the police motion you to pull over. they didn't have or check a plate #, from th initial reports they were driving a dark colored car, just like the bandits! the police in Brazil are inept in every way! the violence is getting worse year after year and the government is too busy patting themselves on the back thinking they are doing a good job. Brazil still is 100% a 3rd world country, lest we forget that when we look at the markets and investment grading in the TV. the violence and problems are getting worse here all the time, it has a lot to do with keeping wages low, a hopeless education system that passes you as long as you show up. Brazil is a country in severe social decline amidst there so called economic boom. This happens when people work hard and cannot earn enough money to buy food, clothing and shelter for there families. look for a giant crash and a lot more violence before things really change down here. What is seen on the international news is only a small portion of what really goes on down here. I vote for the firing squad for the officers involved, and maybe then there will be a wake up call around the globe, and how countries that have been on foreign aid for years, use these funds. The reason that the 3rd world countries are still 3rd world, are because the people in power only seek to keep the power, there is no serious initiative to rise up. these problems are rampant every where in the 3rd world, unfortunately it takes the massacre of a family to let the world in on what really goes on around the world.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, police should have never unloaded on a car without proof the suspect was in it and that no innocent people or in this case children are in the car. You could say it was an accident, but to me an accident is when your gun accidentally goes off for no reason or your brakes in your car stop working and you cause a crash. To open fire on a car, not knowing for sure who is in the car is not an accident. It's ignorant cops with trigger happy fingers that are to scared to pull the car over and face the suspect. What are we training police officers to do? Protect and serve or to protect their selves and kill?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Accidents happen.

I don't see this as news worthy.

Why?

So many Innocent children are dead and dying now.

The only difference between this an the others?

This one happened in your backyard.

Think this is the only time someone accidental took a life?

This will not be the last.

top topics

join