It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow nears 11,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Dow nears 11,000

finance.yahoo.com

Dow nears 11,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is very telling of the times and I do not believe we have hit rock bottom yet. Does not look like Big Bush's stimulus plan did anything noticeable. Times are hard and even I am starting to feel the pinch.

finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Uh, this isn't a news article, it's a link to Yahoo's ticker. I was hoping for some indepth news report that had just broken about what was happening on the Street, instead I am left disappointed and with my proverbial organ in my hand.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Someone bailed big time around noon but the invisible hand has again returned to save us.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It's so hard to type www.yahoo.com, or cnbc on your web browser. ATS isn't the tight venue for up to date financial news. This is more of a DOW 11,000, the fricking sky is falling thread.

Back on topic, I think we will see dow 9,000 by late Aug 08'.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

Does not look like Big Bush's stimulus plan did anything noticeable.

the stimulus plan (has argueably) helped support the DOW only being down to 11,000 area.

one might want to read the [www.johngaultfla.com/ ] outlooks posted today 7 July '08. He is mor focused on the new-regulatory programs he thinks in in the wings,,, I however lean towards the 'rationing' way of life becoming the new norm.

in either case, (both are likely to some significant degree) the crud won't really hit the fan till after the election and more likely in the next administrations first 100 days
(note i say Next Administration, and not the next President's first 100 days)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Uh, this isn't a news article, it's a link to Yahoo's ticker. I was hoping for some indepth news report that had just broken about what was happening on the Street, instead I am left disappointed and with my proverbial organ in my hand.

You are correct sir. It is not a news article but it is indeed news to me. If you dont like the thread you do not need to post. The condition of the markets are very important in times like this. And while you are out telling people what is and is not news you might want to go to the drudgereport and tell him because it is also linked there.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
well

if "news" is something that updates us on something else

then saying

The dow has hit 11,000

is

news

Why the complaint?

He offered news

offered his opinion on said news

i say

if you want to partake in the discussion

you talk about the dow hitting 11k
not talk about the poster

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
People still have money in the stock market??????

Why?

Enjoy overinflated worthless currency?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I don't think that's even remotely possible with all the security features built into the market. Besides, we're due for a 1-2 month mini-rebound. I might believe 10,000 by Halloween, followed by a bolstering of the market thanks to the hollidays, but for it to 9,000 we'd have to be looking at a major attack on or by us, and I'm not even sure that would manage to do it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by downtown436

I don't think that's even remotely possible with all the security features built into the market.

i surmise your talking about the DOW 9,000 that 'downtown436' forecast by Aug '08..

I don't agree with you...
a DOW 9k is possible, but far fetched, under the conceiveable changes of the stock market... as we can rationally imagine.
But, if another chaos factor gets into the mix - something like Leahman or Morgan Stanley going the path of the former Bear Stearns --- your assumptions would change radically about a stock market (DOW) retreat to 9,000.

many (as far as my reading list) economist forecasters are of the opinion that by election time the DOW could be at 10,500 and be poised to fall to 10k shortly thereafter...which translates to a DOW 10.5 in Nov and 10k or even lower, depending upon another major financial brokerage-house/investment banker org. going down the tubes fron nov'08-jan '09

the 'security features' you mention --- do you mean the PPT plunge-protection-team or are you referring to the Market Curbs that are put into place on trading when there is a -250 point plunge- that is intended to break the programmed trading analogs used by the traders and Funds managers?

imho---neither can be a solution when the bond bubble bursts, and the millions of 401k investors cash in their positions to attempt to save some of their retirement monies--
which in many index funds have already lost +20% of their value in the first 6 months this year alone !
(not to mention the value of their 401ks already losing purchasing value to the tune of 6% more than the official rate of inflation)

i had earlier preognisticated a DOW 9,000 in 12-18 months in another ATS thread...week(s ) before others were even saying DOW 10k by January '09 and to add another -2k to the fall if another major financial house goes bankrupt

appreciate,
i'm only still in dividend paying stocks and will remain so, as the market goes down.... i'll be accruing more shares from the dividend payouts...yay

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yeah, I have been watching the market real close the last few months. It continues to go down more every day. I gotta say that I am waiting. I am not gonna say the words... cause I think that everyone knows what I am talking about.

I gave my prophesy on this on another site.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

Before getting overly excited about the Dow nearing 11,000, you need an equation that takes into consideration the current state of devaluation of the dollar. Today's dollar buys less than half of what it did in 2001 in comparison to the Euro. Like I said, 11,000 is number that needs to be seen in relationship to other currency factors.

Once the USA or Israel launch their foreign pre-emptive war on Iran... oy.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by splendourinthegrass

Good point. The 20% loss in retirement savings is compounded by the reduced purchasing power of the Dollars that people have left. The Grand Theft. Convince people that the Stock Market will always go up and that money earned and saved can't be devalued by the Government.

top topics

join