It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commodity Prices Spark New Crime Waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Commodity Prices Spark New Crime Waves

www.thisismoney.co.uk

Soaring prices for scrap metal, oil and basic foodstuffs have seen crooks turning their attention to soft targets. Copper piping or wire can fetch about £2,500 a ton as scrap, lead might make £250 to £300 a ton. Platinum, part of catalytic converters in car exhausts, is worth about £30 a gram (see breakdown of prices below).

Much of the stolen metal is shipped overseas, with organised crime involved in a sophisticated distribution network.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
To be expected. Since the commodities market has basically turned into a modern day EXTORTION racket that is bleeding the masses dry, it would reason to suffice that a black market for these items, and subsequent theft rings would arise as well...

I was recently reading where man-hole covers are being stolen all over the streets of america, due to their value in the steel market!

Pretty sad, and pathetic how desperate things have become in modern times. All fueled by greed.

Scary part of this is the food and resources markets-Since these commodities brokers are getting involved in these markets, I won't be suprised to see massive thefts and brokering of these items in the future, which may create a catastrophic situation not relegated to third-world countries anymore...

Hot property: crooks' targets

(Commodity - source - value)

Copper - Wires or pipes - £2,500 a ton

Lead - roofs - £300 a ton

Platinum - car exhausts - £30 a gram

Heating oil - fuel tanks - £1,200 a tank

www.thisismoney.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Not exactly sure this is breaking news since it has been happening for Years in the US and is widely known to occur. I live in MN and there are daily thefts of copper, gas, and just about any other commodity that has a high resale value.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
in all honestly this has been used as easy money for a quick fix in the inner cities. i've seen countless amounts of people hauling pipping an such in shopping carts heading to the recycling center...

wait till peoples houses are robbed an they take everything including the kitchen sink now....

top topics

join