It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad showing signs of normal life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It seems as thought people living in the city are finally catching on to the trend of fast street cars. It's probably not the biggest step, but it seems like a little progress. The Iraqi men are saying that they weren't allowed to do what they are doing under Hussein.

Full Story

Propoganda, lies, or whatever you may believe it is. The men seemed happy and that makes me happy! I wish them many cars and years! Maybe now instead of car bombs they can worry about driving to fast. I truly hope that it can be the case sometime soon! What do you think about this possible new found freedom of theirs? Do you believe this to be just a media hype, or propaganda?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
[sarcasm]Wohwohwohwoh, Borat would say.

What a fine achievement of American occupation.
[/sarcasm]

But seriously, it might be hard to imagine, but even in Iraq live goes on. You cannot sit all day in your underground shelter.

If the US would legalize Cannabis, people would start coffee shops as well. CNN could then say, look what this glorious grass does to our economy.
I am just afraid they won't propagandize Cannabis like these silly stories in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
[sarcasm]Wohwohwohwoh, Borat would say.

What a fine achievement of American occupation.
[/sarcasm]

But seriously, it might be hard to imagine, but even in Iraq live goes on. You cannot sit all day in your underground shelter.

If the US would legalize Cannabis, people would start coffee shops as well. CNN could then say, look what this glorious grass does to our economy.
I am just afraid they won't propagandize Cannabis like these silly stories in Iraq.

The men seemed pretty happy with their automobiles. I think those Iraqi men would be highly insulted if your called their story silly. They seemed very grateful for what they have. I was happy for their "silly" story. I would be happy if I was allowed to put stickers on my car when before, I wasn't. If it's a achievement of American occupation then why wasn't it a achievement under Hussein occupation? If, even in Iraq, life moves on?

I was just appreciating a somewhat happy story about people overcoming the odds. Makes me appreciate the fact I was always allowed to put stickers on my car. I would like to hang out with these men and listen to their "silly" stories. They seemed like good men.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by USMC-oorah]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

WTF does this story, which is about younger Iraqi's striving for normality, have ANYTHING to do with Cannabis being legalized in the US? Me thinks... [-snip-].

Mod edit: removed personal attack

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
The men seemed pretty happy with their automobiles. I think those Iraqi men would be highly insulted if your called their story silly. They seemed very grateful for what they have. I was happy for their "silly" story. I would be happy if I was allowed to put stickers on my car when before, I wasn't. If it's a achievement of American occupation then why wasn't it a achievement under Hussein occupation? If, even in Iraq, life moves on?

I was just appreciating a somewhat happy story about people overcoming the odds. Makes me appreciate the fact I was always allowed to put stickers on my car. I would like to hang out with these men and listen to their "silly" stories. They seemed like good men.

''Baghdad showing signs of normal life. ''

I mean, what do you think? That live had stopped for some time in Baghdad?

With all due respect for these men, I really don't consider this ''item'' to be worthwhile showing on CNN while, on the other hand, American media censors stories that are of major importance.

The fact that CNN shows this is for the sole purpose of propagandizing the war. In other words, showing the ''magnificent'' results achieved as a result of the ''liberation'' of Iraq.

Let's pretend the situation is perfect. It's not.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Mdv2

Hi Rockpuck, how are you? I know you are American, but if you require further elaboration on something I wrote, just ask me. Okay?

Under the current Iraqi regime it has become legal to put stickers on your car. What an improvement, right? Really worth mentioning People are dying of hunger and are getting killed on a daily basis in Darfur, Iraq and other countries. Stories seldomly seen in the censored American mainstream media, while some story like this is of so much value that it should be shown

If Cannabis would be legalized in the US (like the stickers in Iraq), no way CNN would propagandize American joy about it, therefore confirming my statement that this story about the Iraqi guys is just propaganda rather than news of important value.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

The fact that CNN shows this is for the sole purpose of propagandizing the war. In other words, showing the ''magnificent'' results achieved as a result of the ''liberation'' of Iraq.

Stories seldomly seen in the censored American mainstream media, while some story like this is of so much value that it should be shown

A) There has been a direct (inverse) correlation between the level of success achived in Iraq and the amount of reporting on Iraq. Given this realtionship (the better things are going the less we hear) I find it hard to view CNN as a propaganda source.
B) I dont know where you are getting your info about American media, but in point of fact Darfur is reported on fairly often, and the media only reports on Iraq when there are deaths. IN point of fact, from what I can see about the only thing the American media does censor, is good news from Iraq, since it appears only the guardian and a few other papers are rporting on the results of the surge.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
First and foremost you need to relax. It's a post about Iraqi men racing cars around. Not big bad America running around taking your milk money. Tell me, when is the last time you went to Iraq? Do you call people there? Do you hang out in Baghdad? Are you, in fact, a news reporter? And forgive me for thinking life stopped in Baghdad for a little while. If my city was involved in a war directly and I had to worry about simply walking down the street, life would come to a stand still. Forgive me for that though, MY CITY IS BEING OCCUPIED AND WERE AT WAR. Do you catch my drift?

Lets start on what "news worthy" on CNN. Well, here is what I think about this situation being "news worthy." I've seen news about Brittany Spears and Hulk Hogan on CNN. The last time I checked, that wasn't important. People trying to live a normal life and overcoming a war at the same time, in fact, is. Wouldn't you agree? I would vote this story VERY news worthy. And will you tell me where in this entire thread I said the situation is perfect? Point it out please.

All of America hears about the tragedy in Iraq. If the media is trying to hide that fact, they are doing a poor job. I've got pictures myself of the tragedy. Have you ever seen a human hand molded into a AK-47 from extreme heat? What about exposed human skulls with the flesh charred away? I know the tragedy, people in America know the tragedy. I heard about a wedding that was accidently bombed on yahoo news. Sitting out in the open ready to read. Please forgive me for trying to share some GOOD news about a deadly, unfortunate war. I'll keep in mind, next time I post, that you only want the bad.

Oh, and simply being allowed to put stickers on your car would be great! When before you couldn't. How greedy are you? Do you not appreciate the fact these men can now do what they want? Politics, country, and war aside. Can you just put yourself in their shoes.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by USMC-oorah]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I saw this on tv today. Those guys seemed really happy and I'm definitely happy for them. I think it's pretty amazing that CNN even put a happy story about Iraq on the air.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Hmmmm...give them fast cars, then make laws against speeding so that one has to pay money for tickets which in turns goes to local gov't. Yep, sounds like they are right on track to me!!

new topics

top topics

join