It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the British God's chosen people?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah I agree with you and I'm not trying to wind anybody up but I also read somewere the British and the American's were the two lost tribes of Isreal! Just a thought.

Gazbom.

I kind of agree with this, although I would say that as I am a Brit

The Ireland and England (Cornwall) are said to be the where the tribes from Israel (The Dan) are said to of landed. This kind of makes sense but they'd have to be superb sailors to make it through the med. and around to Britain back then. Having said that 'island and coastal' hopping could make it pretty feasible.
The Swedes and Norse are also said to of had the lost tribes settle their too.

As a nation we've ducked, dived, punched above our weight and managed to defy being conquered for a very long time. Putting it down to both divine favour and hard graft from the people is not unfeasible.
I think only the Swiss can rival us for remaining so untouched, so to speak.

As to whether divine favour will change is a matter of speculation.
But they say every nation has a destiny so perhaps its just the way it goes from what our ancestors did and where they came from.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

The Aboriginals are the inventors of the bbq, you my friend can hold on to the claim of corn on the cob!

No. Not even close.
Sorry, nice try, come again.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Right, at the start of the thread there was chat about our Armed forces.

I can tell you now, we have THE BEST trained SF in the world.

The best 4 were picked to prove themselves -

SAS
US Marines
US Navy Seals (or something like that, dont really care tbh)
And the Foreign Legion (france)

The task was to run to a secluded location X miles away, perform some excercise, then run back to the starting point. The predicted duration of this task was 5 days.

SAS finished in 3 days
Foreign Legion finished in 7 days
US Marinestook 12 days
And the other US platoon took 14 days.

That shows the difference in skill and fitness the different nations deem to be the best.

As for cuisine, I want to hear more from this american kid, come on tell us more of your fantastic grub? You do know that without us Brits, you wouldn't exist?

Most of your population is people from England Ireland Scotland and Wales emigrating to the US.

Peace out

tO

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Are the British God's chosen people?

OF COURSE WE ARE!!!!

I HAVE BEEN BANGING ON ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS!!

HUZZAH !!!! AND BALLY TEN PENNY ONES DROPPING IN THE CUSTARD!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Of course Corn is American no-one denies that, jst that it's very bland and not really worth bragging about.

This from the same people who think salt and pepper were the only spices that existed untill you discovered curry?
And its obvious you've never had raosted corn on the cob.

And you can't really believe that Americans were the very first people in the history of the whole world to barbecue something.

Yes, its a fact. The Bar-B-Que process (low and slow, rule of thumb, if you aint cooked the meat at least 6 hours it aint Bar-B-Que, its grilling) was devloped in america, primarily by poor folks who could only afford the toughest, cheapest cuts of meat. The Bar-B-Que process was invented in order to make such meat more palatable. This sint a theory, its an accepted fact by culinary historians.

And an American raising questions about class and culture, how very ironic, but I guess you just won't see that.
Sure I do, I aslo find it ironic the brits think they have either.

Seriously though, anyone who thinks the USA doesnt have its own culture must be either blinded by anti-american bias, or a stone idiot.

I leave here shaking my head in dismay at the strength and validity of your arguement.

Then perhaps you should educate yourself?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

The Aboriginals are the inventors of the bbq, you my friend can hold on to the claim of corn on the cob!

No. Not even close.
Sorry, nice try, come again.

The origins of both the activity of barbecue cooking and the word itself are somewhat obscure. Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives ultimately from the word barabicu found in the language of the Taíno people of the Caribbean. The word translates as sacred fire pit and is also spelled barbicoa or barabicoa.[2] The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks. Traditional barbacoa involves digging a hole in the ground and placing some meat (usually a whole goat) with a pot underneath it, so that the juices can make a hearty broth. It is then covered with maguey leaves and coal and set alight. The cooking process takes a few hours. There is ample evidence that both the word and cooking technique migrated out of the Caribbean and into other cultures and languages, with the word moving from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then French and English. The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville

Only Americans could class Fried Food as an Art Form!
Keep going, you're amusing me

And only a Brit could think that fried green tomatoes, or blood pudding is actually food.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the poster who commented we are all God's chosen ones. But I would also have to agree with the OP in that Britain (and America) are part of God's divine plan for humanity.

The Behistun Stone, commissioned by Darius 1, is inscribed with a "history of the world," and describes the displacement of the tribes of the north, and their subsequent migration west to Europe and Britain. Accordingly, the Saxons are a corruption of "Isaac's Sons." The Cymry (or Cimmerians) are a corruption of "King Omry." These are what we know as the "Welsh" today. The Welsh language has many similarities to the Hebrew language. The Druid faith is quite similar to the Jewish faith. Many believe the three "Wise Men" were actually Druids who saw his "star in the east." The root word "brit" means covenant in Hebrew... hence, the covenant people.

British and French legends relate that Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary, was a British (Silurian) princess, who fled to Palestine to escape an abusive husband, where she married Joaquim. Like Jesus, Mary was also born of a birth - the Immaculate Conception. Jesus attended the Druid university while in England (the lost years). Pontius Pilate, who is reputed to have been born in Scotland, and also attended the Druid university, may actually have known Jesus from their time together at the University. Jesus built a home for his mother at what is now Glastonbury, where Mary lived out her life after the ascension of Jesus.

Many say that the British "converted" to Christianity, but even St. Augustine found the British were already "Christians" when he came to convert them. Many say that Christianity stole holidays and whatnot from the Pagans. Neither is true. There was no reason to convert, as the Druids understood that Jesus was the fulfillment of their faith. They were waiting for Hesu, who we know as Jesus. No conversion. Nor did the Christians steal from the Pagans to appease them - the holidays were always the same. Rather, the Roman Catholic church corrupted all to legitimize their power.

I personally believe that the Grail legends pertain to Mother Mary, not the Magdalene. We know that the Mother Mary carried the holy blood of Christ! And the search for the grail in medieval legends would refer to the effort of King Arthur and his knights to find Mother Mary's grave in England, where she had been hidden away from the Jews and Romans.

The Jesus College at Oxford contains family trees for the Holy Family in England. Many British royalty and American elite are descended from this family tree, including King Arthur, Princess Diana, and even George Bush!

Also interesting, but less well researched, are legends that the mother of Joseph (the carpenter) was "Cleopatra of Jerusalem," daughter of Cleopatra and Julius Ceasar. After the death of her parents, the sons were killed, but the daughter was married off to an "Eastern prince," and Joseph was one of their sons. Later, she was either forced to divorce Joseph's father, or he was killed by Herod, who made Cleopatra of Jerusalem his wife.

If true, Jesus would have been the natural born heir to the Roman, Egyptian, Jewish/Israeli, and the British/Druid royal houses all in one. Imagine the political threat he would pose to the entire world. This would be especially threatening to the Herods, who were considered usurpers by many Jews at the time.

All quite fascinating really. Hope you found it interesting also.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You should stop now mate while you still have some credibility.

It's the corn on the cob that did it for you, it's people like you that have dragged your wonderfull country to it's knees!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Ok the actual BBQ, by that I mean the modern metal apparatus was in fact in fact invented in the 1800s by cowboys in the US.

However, your claim of cheesecake is false.

Cheesecake has been recorded as far back as 776 B.C so USA was even the tadpole in its daddy.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed
And only a Brit could think that fried green tomatoes, or blood pudding is actually food.

Did i say i like either of those?

The fact the only part of American culture and food is Corn on the cob says it all for your country.

All of your people are mixes of other cultures and people. Irish, Italian, Mexican, Scottish, English, Spanish etc etc

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The reason that happened is because of discipline...we do what we are told...but unfortunately we have idiots making the descisions...but told to do something the Brits will do do it...no whining they will do it and get on with it and do it well...Americans should remember that their way of life came from the British all the values came from this small country!!

Are Brits the chosen ones ...I think yes!! we have endured, mixed and fought...and we take a measured response..that comes from the history and the mix of peoples ..that wanted to be British!!....

We had to learn ...values!! There is a personal thing with Brits that are proud of this country..and that dosen't matter what colour or creed....and we stick together when it comes to it ...we inevitably overcome!! and generally the right way!!

From Leeds but I hate football...I prefer watching the Brits cage fighting...the sportsmanship is way above many countries I have seen...

I Look at them this way hardly any hype or BS with the men..they get in there do their best knock seven bells out of each other and when its over ...the best man has won...and they hug and congratulate each other....its something I don't see much of in other countries!!....

Its the fairness I think !!.....

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I read a book by Charles Berlitz years ago and he claimed that Britain was an ancient race taht was once part of Atlantis, stone henge and the ancient monuments were once part of this culture and in ancient times Britain was known as the 'Isles of the Blessed'.

Don't know if this is true but worth inverstigating further.

Joseph of Arimathea is supposed to have had strong links with Glastonbury through the trading of tin that had developed between Britain and the Middle East so there is a possibility that Chrsit did visit our shores.

On the other hand Merlin, who was Welsh was believed at the time (no doubt due to myth) to be the son of the devil himself!

I love British history it is so interesting! Good to read a thread where the Brits are praising and proud of their history! Good on you all!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

so why are we still eating it? why do we still love the smell of an english breakfast in the morning, a traditional roast dinner on a sunday, the yorkshire puddings coming out of the oven, etc? just because you don't like it doesn't mean that other people don't. in fact i happen to know a lot of foreigners (europeans, africans, etc) that enjoy traditional British food when they are here.

Cause y'all dont have any better sense. Plus the only people you could have gotten better cuisine from were the french and lets face it, that aint gonna happen.
(Incidentially the french learned all thier cooking techniques, originally from the italians.)

what do you think that Britain is just a big prison or something? we do what we like when we like as long as it doesn't break the law. what decent 'freedoms' do you have in the states then? being able to threaten each other with guns, oooh well i wish we could do that over here...

I can speak my mind in public without being arrested, or put on a police wacth list, even if those sentiments are highly offensive. Think you can? Try questioning if the holocaust happened, see how fast they throw you into jail. Or better yet, question in a public forum whether or not Islam is incompatible with British culture and see how fast your are arrested. Howsabout Freedom of the press? Remeber "dispatches"? Remeber when they almost got charged for simply airing what Islamic extremists had actually said because it was "defamation"? Are you aware that the British government has the right to size any child whose parents teach him or her "inappropiate beleifs" and who decides which beleifs are inappropiate? Why the very same gov. And as to "the right to threaten each other with guns" it just shows how little you understand your own rights. The right to bear arms has always been about one thing, ensuring the people have the abillity to revol and overthrow a tyrannical government. Tell me, when your government finally decides to come for you, what exactly will you fight them with?
But hey, keep beleiving you live in a free country. The fact that its also the country with the largest survelience network in the world, enahnced by Artificial intelligence, is only proof of how much your governent wants to protect you.

if the USA is so free then what the hell are all the police departments, FBI, NSA, PATRIOT acts, etc doing there?

Ohh goody.
I was hoping youd bring that up. Patriot act? Ill see your patriot act, and raise you one "Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act of 2000" Look it up. Makes the patriot act look like a dsney cartoon. (hint, this was actually one of the major inspirations for the patriot act, only the patriot act doesnt go nearly as far). Oh and as for the NSA FBI etc, you do realise I hope, that the powers granted to the various MI's as well as scotland yard, is considerably greater than that given to the FBI, CIA, etc?
I really love it when guys like you try this tack, cause the moment you realise the laws y'all have had on the books since before 9/11 gives your government more power over you than the laws we passed after 9/11, you usually have enough sense to keep quiet.

The only problem with Britain is that we are becoming too politically correct and touchy of hurting people's feelings. A couple of hundred years ago and the Royal Navy would have blown any boat out of the water that threatened it's sailors. That said, under threat in proper wartime the political correctness crap would go out of the window, just ask the Argies.

Wow, so capturing british soldiers isnt an act of war? Your military must be so proud of the value you place on them.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jibbs

The origins of both the activity of barbecue cooking and the word itself are somewhat obscure. Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives ultimately from the word barabicu found in the language of the Taíno people of the Caribbean. The word translates as sacred fire pit and is also spelled barbicoa or barabicoa.[2] The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks. Traditional barbacoa involves digging a hole in the ground and placing some meat (usually a whole goat) with a pot underneath it, so that the juices can make a hearty broth. It is then covered with maguey leaves and coal and set alight. The cooking process takes a few hours. There is ample evidence that both the word and cooking technique migrated out of the Caribbean and into other cultures and languages, with the word moving from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then French and English. The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier.

You might want to actually read those sources. What they describe is not bar-Bque. The whole "a few hours thing", gives it away.

American Bar-B-que,. while similar, and probably related, is unique in the world. It was invented in America. It is different that any other form of cooking. Also what your source describes isnt a bar-b-que, its a luai.

BTW what source did you use?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOmen

As for cuisine, I want to hear more from this american kid, come on tell us more of your fantastic grub? You do know that without us Brits, you wouldn't exist?

Most of your population is people from England Ireland Scotland and Wales emigrating to the US.

Peace out

tO

In the sens that those worth anything had the balls to go across the ocean, leaving you with only the wilted and weakened stock that has led you to your great decline? Yeah. We took the best of y'all with us when we left, and we left you, what was leftover.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
No they are not Gods chosen people. God doesn't choose!

I thought this is about denying ignorance?

link   

So you have to pick the worst of what I said then?

Nevermind kid, I'll leave ya to fight a losing battle.

link   

Originally posted by TheOmen

Ok the actual BBQ, by that I mean the modern metal apparatus was in fact in fact invented in the 1800s by cowboys in the US.

However, your claim of cheesecake is false.

Cheesecake has been recorded as far back as 776 B.C so USA was even the tadpole in its daddy.

Slow cooked meat, roasted low and slow for 6-18 hours at a time, was invented in america due to pecularities in the food supply. It was an adaptation to harsh circumstances. While related to other forms of cooking, only americans can do it for 18 hours at a time.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by shuck

I Look at them this way hardly any hype or BS with the men..they get in there do their best knock seven bells out of each other and when its over ...the best man has won...and they hug and congratulate each other....its something I don't see much of in other countries!!....

Its the fairness I think !!.....

Apparently youve never seen an american boxing match, kickboxing match, MMA match etc. Cause thats how all professional fights end.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join