It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the British God's chosen people?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

Remember how Britain received its most bountiful harvests in 1942, when it faced shortages due to wartime interference with its offshore supply lines. R.S. Hudson, minister of agriculture, said, “Some power has wrought a miracle in the English harvest fields this summer, for in this, our year of greatest need, the land has given us bread in greater abundance than we have ever known before.”
were was the offshore supply?

Gazbom.

Ever heard of the Blitz?
Guess where the food britishers ate during that time period came from?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
And really, Why would you want to be "gods chosen people" It hasnt seemd to do the jews much good.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
When it comes to WW2, there were a lot of factors involved that contributed to an Allied victory. Not that I'm not gratefull for US involvement, but I'm not going to ignore the commonwealth, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ efforts which undoubtedly helped too.

We did stand alone against Hitler for a time, and the fact we prevailled is something those British people who took part should be proud of. And those who followed grateful for.

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Of course God loves us Brits we made a deal with him, he protects us and we add him in our song...

God save our gracious queen, god save our noble queen, god save the queen ...

Fox...Out !

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Zzzzzzzz.....

Is this rubbish still being discussed here.

Seen it all before.

An element of truth in most of the posts but the reality is that Britain has been at the centre of world events for centuries, USA is only a mere baby whose very existence and culture derives from Britain.

There is no denying that the USA has had a massive impact on world events since it's founding, however, which other country with such limited resources has had such an impact over such a prolonged period of time as Britain?

The debate over WW11 is tedious.
Yes, USA helped Britain and the other Allies, only after a 2 year wait which they spent exploiting for their own purposes.
Would we have won without them?
Who knows?
I suspect we probably would have but it would have taken longer, simply because Hitler made the mistake of attacking Russia and opening up a second front.
If we had ended up speaking another language I suspect it would have been Russian not German.

We British are indeed a warrior race, our history is littered with the evidence.
Unfortunately this is being forced out of us at present, (until the next conflict when the very same qualities which are currently condemened will be encouraged!)

It is pretty evident that many posters fall into the common trap of judging the events of yesterday by the morals and standards of today.
If Britain hadn't done what it did in the past then someone else would have, just not as efficiently as us.

As for comparing British cuisine to American
name one truly American delicacy which is even barely palatable or not a mish mash of other cuisines?

I am not someone who is outright anti-American, I genuinely believe that the world is a better place for them, unlike some nationalities I could mention, but they have a long way to go before they can compare themselves to Britains long and proud tradirtions and history.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

And so say all of us,

The topic is nothing to do with who won the second world war anyway,
Its about Britains incredible history.

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

name one truly American delicacy which is even barely palatable or not a mish mash of other cuisines?

Easy. Bar-B-Que, Fortune cookies, Cheescake, the Reuben, Country fried steak, chicken fried steak, pretty much any fried food, corn on the cob, etc etc etc.
Look I agree in a lot of areas with what you said, but even the british know y'alls food sucks.

I am not someone who is outright anti-American, I genuinely believe that the world is a better place for them, unlike some nationalities I could mention, but they have a long way to go before they can compare themselves to Britains long and proud tradirtions and history.

Guess it all depnds on what you value. The stale mouldering deeds of a once great nation, or the current deeds of a now great nation. Britian has a storied history granted, but its a mere shadow of what it once was. But then the british were saying the same thing about italy once.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

Easy. Bar-B-Que, Fortune cookies, Cheescake, the Reuben, Country fried steak, chicken fried steak, pretty much any fried food, corn on the cob, etc etc etc.
Look I agree in a lot of areas with what you said, but even the british know y'alls food sucks

Who says the yanks have no sense of humour?
That is the funniest thing I've read all day.

Corn on the cob

Thanks you've made my night.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i heard somewhere that the welsh were the original english driven out by some invading race cant remeber which..........anyhow we could all be speaking a new language soon read this....

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as 'Euro-English'.

In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' with 'z' and 'w'with 'v'.

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Look I agree in a lot of areas with what you said, but even the british know y'alls food sucks.

Yeah, some of our food is pretty bland but come on, you can't compare Fortune cookies with Mince 'n' Dumplings! (Yes, I'm just a simple Northener)
As for the rest? You don't really believe you were the first to Barbeque something or fry a steak or chicken. Ha Ha Ha!

Guess it all depnds on what you value. The stale mouldering deeds of a once great nation, or the current deeds of a now great nation. Britian has a storied history granted, but its a mere shadow of what it once was. But then the british were saying the same thing about italy once.

Yes, this country does appear to be in decline, and it breaks my heart.
The southern dominated PC brigade are stripping this country of all it's values.

Sorry for repeating myself but I think this is a very important point that most people don't quite grasp when studying historical events and their effects on current events: Too many people judge the events of yesterday by current values.
What's done is done, the important thing is to understand the causes and not to repeat them, something which mankind as a whole seems inherently unable to do.
As a wise man once said, (and no, he was not British!):
'The significant problems we face today cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that caused them yesterday'

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by citizens

Mein Deutsch ist viele Gut, Danke

und korn on ze kob!

Gazbom.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by gazbom56]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I actually dont know what to say? Oh my, this kids just blown any credibility he had i this thread left, right out of the water.

On the thread as a whole, Freeborn's long post summed the whole thing up.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yeah, some of our food is pretty bland but come on, you can't compare Fortune cookies with Mince 'n' Dumplings! (Yes, I'm just a simple Northener)
As for the rest? You don't really believe you were the first to Barbeque something or fry a steak or chicken. Ha Ha Ha!

Its a fact that Bar-B-que (not grilling you philistines, dont you people even have enough culture to know the difference?) was in fact invented in America. Fried foods (deep fried) were orignally introduced to Aemricans by Africans Slaves, but it was americans who turned it into an art form.
Corn is without dispute an american food, where the hell do you people think you got it from, france?
Fortune cookies are a wholly american invention, as is in truth most "chinese food" in the states. Fusion cooking was also developed in America.
The reuban was invented for a New York deli sandwich contest.
Please, I really wanna see some of you try and "prove me worng"
Check your facts.

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by citizens

I liked that, that was very clever. If something like that ever came to pass, it wouldnt be German though, it would be more likely French

American cuisine? A bit of a misnomer isnt it? The inventors of JUNK FOOD.

Now there is a conspiracy, how MacDonalds are trying to lower everyone in the worlds health levels to obesity. Domination of the world by fat.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The Aboriginals are the inventors of the bbq, you my friend can hold on to the claim of corn on the cob!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I remember back in school where if you were the 'fatty' in the class you got bullied for the rest of your school days.. there was 1..

Now it's spot the slim kid in the sea of blubber.
Funny that happened around the same time as BK KFC and McD hit the scene..

Fat parents too busy aiming for the 'American dream' to cook their kids a healthy meal.
We really must remember to thank the yanks for that too..

Yaz know i'm 'yankin' ya chain right..

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Of course Corn is American no-one denies that, jst that it's very bland and not really worth bragging about.
And you can't really believe that Americans were the very first people in the history of the whole world to barbecue something.

And an American raising questions about class and culture, how very ironic, but I guess you just won't see that.

Is this how far ATS has decended, arguing about culinary issues in a thread discussing Britains undoubted pre-eminent role in human development?

I suspect not but.......

I leave here shaking my head in dismay at the strength and validity of your arguement.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Fried foods (deep fried) were orignally introduced to Aemricans by Africans Slaves, but it was americans who turned it into an art form.
[edit on 7/7/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

Only Americans could class Fried Food as an Art Form!
Keep going, you're amusing me

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

even the british know y'alls food sucks.

so why are we still eating it? why do we still love the smell of an english breakfast in the morning, a traditional roast dinner on a sunday, the yorkshire puddings coming out of the oven, etc? just because you don't like it doesn't mean that other people don't. in fact i happen to know a lot of foreigners (europeans, africans, etc) that enjoy traditional British food when they are here.

Or at least a few of the freedoms we enjoy here in ther states?

what do you think that Britain is just a big prison or something? we do what we like when we like as long as it doesn't break the law. what decent 'freedoms' do you have in the states then? being able to threaten each other with guns, oooh well i wish we could do that over here...

if the USA is so free then what the hell are all the police departments, FBI, NSA, PATRIOT acts, etc doing there?

Tell that to the Iranians. They didnt seem to respect your naval prowess all that much when they captured your soldiers while in sight of other british Naval vessels.

The only problem with Britain is that we are becoming too politically correct and touchy of hurting people's feelings. A couple of hundred years ago and the Royal Navy would have blown any boat out of the water that threatened it's sailors. That said, under threat in proper wartime the political correctness crap would go out of the window, just ask the Argies.

Originally posted by DaleGribble
reply to post by Knights

you won one battle. ultmatly England would had lost the war had it not been for US b-29 you would be speaking german. well the b-29 reigned down fire like the right hand of God

Reigning down fire isn't going to defend an island. Maybe you're forgetting the Spitfire.

Anyway the Russians were pretty determined to reach Berlin, and we always had loyal commonwealth backing. Whatever happened I don't think we would have been speaking German by the end of it.

More on topic, most Brits don't think that they're God's chosen. We just know that we're proud because we're good at war and we're angry because we're s**t at sports that we've invented, and we like beer and that's all that really matters in the world.

[edit on 7/7/2008 by malganis]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join