Are the British God's chosen people?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

You cannot compare history of nations when some span many centuries to ones that have only existed a few years.

[edit on 7/7/08 by Wotan]

That is fair enough,
I was mainly just making the point that 'revered' is a matter of perspective - many brits believe that they are loved because they spread modern advancement and civilization throughout the Empire. But in many cases that is very wrong,
Ireland is an example where the Empire caused only suffering and/or poverty to anyone who wasn't an elite or protestant.

But those were different times..

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

You are correct of course Mr . Dermo but all country's have committed many atrocities in their past history, mostly in the name of religion and the Irish have suffered many times at the hands of the English but what my topic is about is how is it possible we were so lucky so often in the face of defeat and impossible odds!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Believe it or not we are taught about the evils of British imperialism, certainly in school these days, and it's all over the history books. Trouble is it's all we're ever allowed to hear now. To even hint at the positive influences Britain had is tantamount to celebrating Hitler, which is not a healthy balance at all. Our history, be you American, British, French, Indian is what makes a people, the good and the bad. Conversly all that concentrating on the negatives has achieved IMO is to foster a rather intolerant streak on both sides of the divide.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56

Remember Waterloo. Author Victor Hugo observed that “the shadow of a mighty right hand is cast over Waterloo; it is the day of destiny, and the force which is above man produced that day.” “If it had not rained the night between the 17th and 18th of June,” noted Hugo, “the future of Europe would have been changed.” A little rain, during a time when rain was not expected, and an empire was overthrown.

Gazbom.

here is one for dont forget this one.

18april1775. Paul Revere has to sneak past british ships in the light of a full moon. an all but imposible task except but for one cloud that covered the moon just as they approached the ship. and an empire was overthrown...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think every country believes they're God's people and I'm pretty sure Bush thinks the same about the United States....

oh religion

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The day England can win a World Cup or even qualify for a Euro Comp. is the day i'll believe this

Being a Brit myself, I can see how we could be seen as "Gods Chosen" but, what about the bad things that have happened to us? Gordon Brown for one. I don't think there is such a being that could be percieved as "god". I do believe that some of it is just luck and being caught on a good day.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Dermo

You are correct of course Mr . Dermo but all country's have committed many atrocities in their past history, mostly in the name of religion and the Irish have suffered many times at the hands of the English but what my topic is about is how is it possible we were so lucky so often in the face of defeat and impossible odds!

Gazbom.

1783 america was the one who won with the impossible odds...
WWI america bailed your ass out not God...
WWII america bailed your ass out not God...

Sprechen Sie Deutsch? you would if it wasent for the USA.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

Utter rubbish.

You should read up on the Battle of Britain instead of listening to Hollywood. German plans to invade Britain were put on the backburner before America even entered the war.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights

Utter rubbish.

You should read up on the Battle of Britain instead of listening to Hollywood. German plans to invade Britain were put on the backburner before America even entered the war.

And perhaps you shouldnt limit your study of history to a single battle. The simple fact is the USA was supporting Britain long before we ever officially entered the war. Or have you never heard the terms "liberty ships" "lend lease" or "food shipments"
Tell me how well the British would have survived the war without anything to eat?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

That said, it is a war that America could not have survived without French assistance. In addition, Britain had significant military disadvantages. Distance was a major problem: most troops and supplies had to be shipped across the Atlantic Ocean. The British usually had logistical problems whenever they operated away from port cities, while the Americans had local sources of manpower and food and were more familiar with (and acclimated to) the territory. Additionally, ocean travel meant that British communications were always about two months out of date: by the time British generals in America received their orders from London, the military situation had usually changed.

I wouldn't call the odds impossible AND i'd be thanking the French if I were you.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Knights

Why is it Brits always forget that they tried to reconquer us again, after the Revolutionary war, and failed a second time?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

Yes, America did support Britain. But at a hefty price. Infact if i'm not mistaken we have only really just finished our repayments for that help, nice little money earner for you.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Knights

you won one battle. ultmatly England would had lost the war had it not been for US b-29 you would be speaking german. well the b-29 reigned down fire like the right hand of God

so i guess i was wrong. you did have devine intervention..

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knights

Yes, America did support Britain. But at a hefty price. Infact if i'm not mistaken we have only really just finished our repayments for that help, nice little money earner for you.

Irrelevant, had it not been for that support England would not have survived untill our official entry inot the war, which even Churchill acknowledged.

We were supposed to support your entire populaton for free?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Who? The corporate USA who played a large part in funding Hitler and profiting from WW2?
Ie: General Electric etc

This whole "USA bailed everyone out of ww2" is a weak argument - ye were using the same illegitimate tactics back then as ye are now (perl harbour/9-11), all in the name of corporate profit.

If ye weren't going to profit so much from a war that your corporate leaders probably had a hand in starting, ye probably wouldn't have joined in at all.
And if Hitler had a foothold in Britain, the US was next so ye were saving ye're own asses and making a nice profit from it.

Mein Deutsch ist viele Gut, Danke

[edit on 16/06/08 by Dermo]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Who? The corporate USA who played a large part in funding Hitler and profiting from WW2?
Ie: General Electric etc

Yes some American corporations did business, some legitmate, some not so much, with hitler. But then considering the behavior of Chamberlain, Lord Haw Haw and many other royal family/government ministers who actively supported hitler regime perhaps you should get on that high horse eh?

This whole "USA bailed everyone out of ww2" is a weak argument - ye were using the same illegitimate tactics back then as ye are now (perl harbour/9-11), all in the name of corporate profit.

Not everyone. Mainly just France and the UK. The russians were a major asistance as well. Without thier war on the eastern front, even the rest of the allies combiend might not have been able to stop the warmecht. Regardless however, there is no doubt that we did in fact pull your fat out of the fire. Thats not to dismiss the amazing strength of character it required for the british peoples to survive thier travails, but if it hadnt been for the USA, that strength of character wouldnt have mattered.

If ye weren't going to profit so much from a war that your corporate leaders probably had a hand in starting, ye probably wouldn't have joined in at all.
And if Hitler had a foothold in Britain, the US was next so ye were saving ye're own asses and making a nice profit from it.

As to saving our own asses while making a profit, why the hell not. If you can save an ally, and yourself, and make a profit, why shouldnt you. Your not one of those "profit is evil" people are you?

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

As to saving our own asses while making a profit, why the hell not.

A valid point!

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

Your not one of those "profit is evil" people are you?

Sh*t no... profit profit profit

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

"The gratitude of every home in our island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "

—Tribute to the Royal Air Force, House of Commons, 20 August 1940. The Battleof Britainpeaked a month later. Because of German bombing raids, Churchillsaid, Britainwas "a whole nation fighting and suffering together." He had worked out the phrase about "The Few" in his mind as he visited the Fighter Command airfields in Southern England.

The few!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

"The gratitude of every home in our island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "

—Tribute to the Royal Air Force, House of Commons, 20 August 1940. The Battleof Britainpeaked a month later. Because of German bombing raids, Churchillsaid, Britainwas "a whole nation fighting and suffering together." He had worked out the phrase about "The Few" in his mind as he visited the Fighter Command airfields in Southern England.

The few!

Gazbom.

Uhuh. And how well would those RAF pilots have done in the air had they died of starvation?

Like it or not, we kept you alive long enough to do that. Its all well and good to claim you won the war by yourselves, but when you sepnt the war eating another mans rations, you might want to thank him.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Remember how Britain received its most bountiful harvests in 1942, when it faced shortages due to wartime interference with its offshore supply lines. R.S. Hudson, minister of agriculture, said, “Some power has wrought a miracle in the English harvest fields this summer, for in this, our year of greatest need, the land has given us bread in greater abundance than we have ever known before.”
were was the offshore supply?

Gazbom.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join