It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the British God's chosen people?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

It's the American attitude - it's as brainwashed as the Muslims.

"we invented BBQ, cheesecake, corn on the cob...etc" indeed. How the hell do you "invent" a boiled vegetable, use for thousands of years by the natives?

So I was worng about cheesecake. Now explain to me why exactly you think the Native Nations are not Americans.

Just steal everyone else's achievements. Next they'll be claiming they had the world's largest empire.

Nope that was Alexander, or the Romans. Twasnt either of our nations.

America isn't nearly as powerful as it would make out to everyone - Iraq/Afghanistan proved it.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by C.C.Benjamin]

Yes, remeber that when you visit the only democracy in the entire middle east, other than isreal. Oh and especially remmeber it when thier economy surpasses yours in about 10 years.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

“Sing to the Lord a new song;
sing to the Lord , all the earth.
Sing to the Lord , praise his name;
proclaim his salvation day after day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous deeds among all peoples.”

-- Psalm 96:1-3

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

uhuh. Nice to see your not a reflexive america hater or anything.
Good god, where are the adults in this thread? Anybody?

Uh Shaz, what the hell do you expect when you've riddled this thread with provocative little snippetts of anti British rhetoric all the way through. Not only this one, but this one here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And more of the same here

I'm not even getting into the particulars of it because you have this innate knack of broad brushing negative stereo-types about us but falling back on semantics and variables when similar criticism are levelled at the US. (you're goading post about the British re-conquest of the US was a gem...and totally innacurate.)

You're doing it to p**s people off and then decrying the anti American sentiment. Bait and switch, tactic #199 in the online troll manual. Or are you really just dense?

So what's the problem spunky? Cos what I'm seeing isn't a proud American patriot but an insecure little jingoist at the moment. Come on tell us why you hate the British, or is it any nation that isn't the US? At least then you can post it as a sticky and we can dispense with all the BS you're tainting threads with once and for all.

And for any US posters reading this, I have no problem with America, have never posted any comment to denigrate or belittle them...or any other country for that matter. But if this guy is representative of your country God help you.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by Cantwara]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cantwara

Uh Shaz, what the hell do you expect when you've riddled this thread with provocative little snippetts of anti British rhetoric all the way through. Not only this one, but this one here

And more of the same here

And yet, I still manage to make valid and well sourced points. Look you wanna do a bit o America bashing, well youll have to get in line behind every democrat in the country. (they think they got dibs) But lets face it, while swapping sterotypes is always amusing I am also managing to make a rather often missed point.
Theres not a single thing that britain can accuse America of doing in the last 8 years that it hasnt done in the last 30. And yet, the indignation, the accusations, the allsuions to a creeping fascism; sorry to say this but they fit your society far more than they do mine. The only real difference is ideological. How and why we have chosen to do such things.
The other glaring difference between our two, admittedly similar cultures; is that we in America still believe we can make the world better. Sadly the english have seemed, at least to me, to have lost this conviction. More tragically, most of england has seemed to lose the beleif that they even had a right to try. We still beleive in ourselves enough to say "our way is better"
You guys no longer seem to. At least, not as anything more than empty rhetoric. understand, Im not referring to the soldiers, or the military, or thier utillity in the WOT. Not at all.
Im talking ahout the citizenry.
You have english ministers reccomending that Britain adopt Sharia Law and you dont seem to recognise the modern day lord Haw Haw's in your midst.

You want the truth. I weep that the children of the people who survived the blitz, much like those who fought like hellcats in the french resistance are too damn scared to stand up and be counted when the world is on fire. You folks created the largest democracy in the world, the most powerful representatvie republic in the world, and you did it by accident. And now, after creating a legacy of thought, and philosphy which has literally spawned and age that any previous generation would consider golden, your people seem to afraid to even contiue that legacy despite having us do most of the heavy lifting.
What can I say except that England seems to have become a place where Winston Churchill would no longer fit in?

So what's the problem spunky? Cos what I'm seeing isn't a proud American patriot but an insecure little jingoist at the moment. Come on tell us why you hate the British, or is it any nation that isn't the US? At least then you can post it as a sticky and we can dispense with all the BS you're tainting threads with once and for all.

You know, its almost sad. interesting though that your only focus was the froth, and not the fish.

And for any US posters reading this, I have no problem with America, have never posted any comment to denigrate or belittle them...or any other country for that matter. But if this guy is representative of your country God help you.

Well, we can at least agree that we hold the same opinion ofeach other I guess.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
There's no such thing as "God's chosen people".
Judeo-Christian religions have long considered their culture/civilization/country to be "chosen". In reality an all loving and "perfect" deity would care for all persons equally, and not favor one country.

Personally, I think due to their history of warfare, the British have become pretty damn good soldiers. (Although they did lose to the French once.)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rytak

Yeah good point.
But you have to go back nearly 1,000 years since we lost to the French, they have beaten us occasionally on the rugby field though!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rytak
There's no such thing as "God's chosen people".
Judeo-Christian religions have long considered their culture/civilization/country to be "chosen". In reality an all loving and "perfect" deity would care for all persons equally, and not favor one country.

Love all equally. Yes. Not favor any one? I disagree. Wouldnt he, alomost by defintion, favor those who were living most closely in accordance with his will? Even if only to motivate those who werent to do so?

Personally, I think due to their history of warfare, the British have become pretty damn good soldiers. (Although they did lose to the French once.)

Top 5 at least yeah.
But as SunTzu once said, no army can win if it doesnt have the moral force, ie the will of the people, behind it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gazbom56

Even the French military gets lucky once in a while.
(Boy, I'm just asking to get attacked by the French.)

Then you get into semantics about what is "his will" and what "he desires". More importantly you would run into "what he does".

Of course, in a perfect world ruled by a perfect deity, there wouldn't be such problems.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

It's the American attitude - it's as brainwashed as the Muslims.

"we invented BBQ, cheesecake, corn on the cob...etc" indeed. How the hell do you "invent" a boiled vegetable, use for thousands of years by the natives?

So I was worng about cheesecake. Now explain to me why exactly you think the Native Nations are not Americans.

Just steal everyone else's achievements. Next they'll be claiming they had the world's largest empire.

Nope that was Alexander, or the Romans. Twasnt either of our nations.

America isn't nearly as powerful as it would make out to everyone - Iraq/Afghanistan proved it.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by C.C.Benjamin]

Yes, remeber that when you visit the only democracy in the entire middle east, other than isreal. Oh and especially remmeber it when thier economy surpasses yours in about 10 years.

Listen to yourself! Honestly, just look at what you've said and think of why exactly you have said it.

1. You can't invent something like a boiled vegetable! It isn't something that needs to be created from several different components in order to function as a new unit!

2. en.wikipedia.org... Read this before flapping your ignorant mouth. The British did have the largest empire IN HISTORY. If this gives you weak knees, it isn't my problem, but don't go all Muslim about it by saying something clearly contrary to historical fact (blah blah the Jews invaded us all the time!). The Romans were 16th, Macedonians 18th. Get your facts straight before wobbling your jowels.

3. Do you really want to get into a discussion about America's economy? Do you even read the news? Have you seen the value of a dollar recently? And I suppose you must have missed the article on the BBC website explaining how America's "military might" is actually showing its limits against the disorganised and underfunded militias it has to face. And, lets not even talk about Vietnam...

However

That doesn't make Britain or the British the chosen people of a mythological diety. It just makes us hard-headed, bloody-minded bastards.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Listen to yourself! Honestly, just look at what you've said and think of why exactly you have said it.

1. You can't invent something like a boiled vegetable! It isn't something that needs to be created from several different components in order to function as a new unit!

You mean like....chips? Or maybe a Fried mars bar?

2. en.wikipedia.org... Read this before flapping your ignorant mouth. The British did have the largest empire IN HISTORY.

Well the Quing dynasty might disagree, given as it did have more people and money than you. Whereas y'all just had the most land.
But what about the fourth dimension?
Time.
Rome "only" ruled 5.9 million kilometers to the british 36.6 million. But didnt the Roman empire last a millenia, while yours lasted, a few centuries?

If this gives you weak knees, it isn't my problem, but don't go all Muslim about it by saying something clearly contrary to historical fact (blah blah the Jews invaded us all the time!).

Arguably. Not clearly, as I show above.

The Romans were 16th, Macedonians 18th. Get your facts straight before wobbling your jowels.

Viewed as a static point in time perhpas. Has any empire ever existed as a snapshot?

3. Do you really want to get into a discussion about America's economy? Do you even read the news? Have you seen the value of a dollar recently? And I suppose you must have missed the article on the BBC website explaining how America's "military might" is actually showing its limits against the disorganised and underfunded militias it has to face. And, lets not even talk about Vietnam...

The economy? Oh yes. Oh yes please.
The BBC "explained"?
No. The BBC provided a medium for a particular writers view based on the world as he sees it.

However

That doesn't make Britain or the British the chosen people of a mythological diety. It just makes us hard-headed, bloody-minded bastards.

Bloody minded? But wouldnt that contravene the EU or UN's human rights mandates?

[edit on 7/8/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

You have turned a normal intelligent thread, discussing the often and miraculous achievements of the British people, throughout history into a rage about cooking, teeth, corn on the cob and your obvious lack of world history knowledge!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56

You have turned a normal intelligent thread, discussing the often and miraculous achievements of the British people, throughout history into a rage about cooking, teeth, corn on the cob and your obvious lack of world history knowledge!

Gazbom.

Please correct any deficiencies in my edumacation. Im just a poor dumb american country boy doncthaknow?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
You have to laugh at those arrogant people who persist in arguing about who won World War 2. Blah, Blah, we did this, we did that, blah, blah! Here's a dose of truth. All of you did S**** F*** A**, because none of you were even alive then, and yet some of you still like to take credit for something you had absolutely no bearing on.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
You have to laugh at those arrogant people who persist in arguing about who won World War 2. Blah, Blah, we did this, we did that, blah, blah! Here's a dose of truth. All of you did S**** F*** A**, because none of you were even alive then, and yet some of you still like to take credit for something you had absolutely no bearing on.

Now why would you come in and ruin a perfectly enjoyable, and absolutely delightful, pissing contest?
What are you the hall monitor?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Here is the reality of your supposed utopia

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

You mean like....chips? Or maybe a Fried mars bar?

I'm sorry, is that meant to be a rebuttal? You still cannot "invent" something by boiling something that exists in a natural state. End of story.

You are referring to the colonists who displaced the indigeonous populations that I imagine you have very little genetic relationship with.

Well the Quing dynasty might disagree, given as it did have more people and money than you. Whereas y'all just had the most land.
But what about the fourth dimension?
Time.
Rome "only" ruled 5.9 million kilometers to the british 36.6 million. But didnt the Roman empire last a millenia, while yours lasted, a few centuries?

Irrelevant. Historical fact says that Britain controlled the largest amount of the Earth's surface in history, under George.

You can talk semantics all you want, but facts are facts and you cannot change them. Why is that even a problem for you anyway? Why is any of this a problem? America does not have the history Britain have, deal.

Arguably. Not clearly, as I show above.

You've shown nothing. The military history of Israel is repleat with Muslim invasions. But, i'm sure you'll just claim that it isn't, contrary to all known historical fact.

Viewed as a static point in time perhpas. Has any empire ever existed as a snapshot?

Of course not, what a ridiculous thing to say. We can only judge by their zenith.

The economy? Oh yes. Oh yes please.
The BBC "explained"?
No. The BBC provided a medium for a particular writers view based on the world as he sees it.

As you haven't got a clue, I'll disregard this. If you think the American economy is strong, you're a dreamer.

Bloody minded? But wouldnt that contravene the EU or UN's human rights mandates?

It is awful what we have become, it is true. I was referencing the generations who made us great, not those who wish to take it away. I should have specified.

No-one here thinks you are an uneducated moron until you make statements that fly in the face of historical fact and common sense. It's better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You know, I got to page three of this thread and realised I was - literally - reading sterotypical rubbish.

So, a history lesson. It seems they don't teach you lot in the states this stuff.

The US Lend/Lease programme in WW2 started 18 months after the break out of hostilities in WW2, in around about March 1941
Lend Lease

So, yes, thank you to the USA for the Lend/Lease, after 1941 but...

Dunkirk, where the British evacuated their troops from France after the initial Nazi push, took place between May 26th and June 4th 1940 before the US entered the war and before the start of lend/lease. We evacuated our troops alone.
Dunkirk Evacuation

The Battle of Britain took place between the summer and autumn of 1940, before the US entered the war and before the start of lend/lease. We stopped the Luftwaffe alone.
Battle of Britain

Operation Sealion, the plans for the Nazi invasion of Britain was postponed indefinitely on 17th September 1940 before the US entered the war and before the start of lend/lease. The US had nothing to do with it.
Operation Sealion

The Blitz happened between September 1940 and May 1941.
The Blitz

FDR declared war against Nazi Germany - on behalf of the American Congress - on December 11th 1941. He had declared War on Japan a few days earlier on December 8th.

Also - someone above mentioned B-29's "raining fire down over Germany" - the B-29 was never used in the European Theatre except for an evaluation/propaganda exercise.
B-29 Superfortress

The USAAF in Europe used Liberators, Flying Fortresses and Mitchells.

What can we learn from this?

Britian held back the Nazi's on its own. After Sealion no further thoughts were given to invading the island. The US did not save Britain, the British did.

Now please, if you want to try and crank up rhetoric about WW2, go and learn some proper history first.

The US made a massive contribution to the War in Europe, and yes the sacrifices made by those people who died should never be forgotten, but don't try and ram it down peoples throats, especially with ignorance.

[edit on 8/0708/08 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

I'm sorry, is that meant to be a rebuttal? You still cannot "invent" something by boiling something that exists in a natural state. End of story.

A) other than you, who mentioned boiling?
2) We were, I belive, talking about traditional and cultural dishes were we not? The british even consider tea a "british" tradition despite the fact that you stole it wholesale from India, so dont lecture me on culinary propriety. The simple fact is, Corn, in its many forms including the perfect, succulent, grilled corn on the cob which virtually every American enjoys at this time of year, is undoubtable not only a great american traditional cuisine, but once whose simple perfection is superior to any use of vegeteble that the queen's subjects can claim.

You are referring to the colonists who displaced the indigeonous populations that I imagine you have very little genetic relationship with.

You mean you assumed.
Im a true american mutt.

Irrelevant. Historical fact says that Britain controlled the largest amount of the Earth's surface in history, under George.

Yes, for a few moments. So now a flash in the pan creates more heat than a fire?
If America is irrelevant because of its youth, compared to the british empire; then the epic almost geologic endurance of the Roman empire shows Brittania to be no more than a momentary paper tiger.

You can talk semantics all you want, but facts are facts and you cannot change them. Why is that even a problem for you anyway? Why is any of this a problem? America does not have the history Britain have, deal.

Never said it did.
But london doesnt have the history of Bagdhad either. Or Rome.

You've shown nothing. The military history of Israel is repleat with Muslim invasions. But, i'm sure you'll just claim that it isn't, contrary to all known historical fact.

The Isrealis have been kicked out of thier "house" more times than even the Jews can count. And?

Of course not, what a ridiculous thing to say. We can only judge by their zenith.

Which, by definition, is a static point in time.

As you haven't got a clue, I'll disregard this. If you think the American economy is strong, you're a dreamer.

Yeah me and lennon. And yeah it is, theres areas of weakness, but the American economy does better in periods of instabillty than most world economies do in periods of stability. In fact, we thrive off it. Its called, creative destruction.

It is awful what we have become, it is true. I was referencing the generations who made us great, not those who wish to take it away. I should have specified.

No-one here thinks you are an uneducated moron until you make statements that fly in the face of historical fact and common sense. It's better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

But its more interesting to open it and let others think you a fool, and then prove them wrong.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56

Here is the reality of your supposed utopia

Gazbom.

The freedom to fail. Its a beautiful thing.

And incidentially, iin cali, well, they use bait. Its like a liberals version of hunting.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

"Top 5 at least yeah.
But as SunTzu once said, no army can win if it doesnt have the moral force, ie the will of the people, behind it."

mmm....Shazam,pls look at this post and see how simply this quote could used against you(America),if I were to stoop so low as generalize all americans as blinkered as you.You step right into this stuff

Could you post your proofs in a link all together,and you do realise you only gained independance with the overwhelming force and assistanceof the french and spanish do you?Fair play to you tbh was good plan effectively enacted ,something which has been lacking since 9/11.

And that the boston tea party was about slavery not tea

Good health to you sir.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by gambon]

[edit on 8-7-2008 by gambon]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join