It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pole Switch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Ok everyone claims in 2012 our poles will switch directions etc. has anyone ever thought that this is not an instant process and this is what accounts for global warming? its not "GLOBAL WARMING". yes places are getting hotter that are usually cool, but what if this is the poles switching? In 2012 it will return to normal? This is just a thought.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
If the poles do switch, scientists aren't sure if it will be a gradual or instantaneous process. If it happens instantly the world will be toast, but if it is a gradual switch we might be able to prepare for it. Either way if it happens it doesn't sound like we will live to see the outcome.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Let's all begin building our underground bunkers now heh! I personally believe "Global Warming" is from underwater volcanoes, 1 volcano causes more warming than an entire city ever could. Not to mention there are now 100s of thousands of underwater volcanoes being reported. Not too convinced with the poles switching, but there is definitely going to be some more extreme weather cases out there. Anyone living near a coast I think will struggle

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
So, if the poles switch, what happens to all our computers and technology? Will the switch cause circuits and even batteries to stop working, I wonder? It's a very scary thought if all computers were to be wiped out overnight. Pandamonium would certainly follow.

Anyone living near a coast I think will struggle

Yup. Rising sea levels would be a big one.

About 50% of the world's population lives within 60km of the coast or estuaries. and 50% of the world's population live in cities now. I think i'd better save up for a motorboat.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I live as far inland as possible so I think i am safe for now.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

hahahah you said pole switch, alot of the 2012er's believe its a pole shift, not switch

but it is also in conjunction with niburu and all the hokey

a planet that size would be obviously visible by now, especially as it is only getting closer and closer

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Let's define a couple of terms loosely, so we can be on the same page.

There is talk of a possible pole shift..... this is a physical landmass shift that is surmised due to a slipping of the tectonic plates in the thin mantle of the Earth's crust. Absolutely catalysmic, an ELE. Even a slow shift would be cataclysmic, likely less so than a rapid one.

More likely IMO, is a MAGNETIC pole shift. Opinions vary as to the impact of this happening, from nada to extreme. I personally think that would cause or exacerbate severe weather, as well as severe social changes due to loss or corruption of technological-based things, such as communication, etc.

I don't really believe in AGW, although there's no question in my mind that humanity screws up everything it touches. Follow the money, investigate the cause-and-effect of carbon credits, see who benefits and how. Check out so-called "green" things and find out for yourself if they are truly beneficial to the planet, or just someones pocket.

I also think there's little question that the Earth is in a warming cycle, as are MANY of the inner planets of the solar system. I think the poster previous who pointed out underwater volcanoes is spot on also, in that several have been identified, most notably under the Greenland ice cap.

I don't believe any of this has much to do with 2012, except perhaps a slim possibility of magnetic pole wandering. We'll see.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
So, if the poles switch, what happens to all our computers and technology? Will the switch cause circuits and even batteries to stop working, I wonder? It's a very scary thought if all computers were to be wiped out overnight. Pandamonium would certainly follow.

Anyone living near a coast I think will struggle

Yup. Rising sea levels would be a big one.

About 50% of the world's population lives within 60km of the coast or estuaries. and 50% of the world's population live in cities now. I think i'd better save up for a motorboat.

We need to (rather obviously) define some terms, here. You do realize that there are multiple "poles"? There are the geographic (or physical) poles, which are points on the Earth's surface corresponding to the Earth's axis of rotation. While these poles do precess (thanks to the Earth's axial tilt), they aren't going to undergo any sudden and dramatic "shift" without some form of catastrophic intervention...and if we get hit with an event that would cause that sort of massive change in the Earth's rotation, the fact that the "North Pole" is suddenly located in Flagstaff, AZ is going to be the least of our worries, since conservation of momentum will have reduced most of the planet into a dust cloud. Given the lack of evidence for a massive impactor in our immediate celestial vicinity (and yes, if it's big enough to shift the poles, particularly by the dreaded 2012, it should be naked eye visible, possibly during daylight), I can only assume that the "Pole shift" you're worried about would be a shift of the other poles, namely the magnetic poles.

What would that do to your electrical equipment? In simple, non-mathematical terms, nothing. Electrical current doesn't flow from magnetic north to magnetic south, it flows from high to low potential. The only cases where magnetic field 'direction' (magnetic North and South) really matter are in generators and motors, and they generate their own very powerful (compared to Earth's, anyway) magnetic fields.

The group that's going to be seriously bothered by a magnetic pole shift? The Boy Scouts of America. They'll have to redo all of their compasses. The rest of us can sit in front of our computers and post videos of the geese flying west for the winter on YouTube.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have a question for someone who might be knowledgeable in this area. Since the earth's axial is on a tilt and physical pole sift is occurring, but does that mean that the magnetic pole shift will also occur?? Wouldn't the magnetic pole still be bound to its original location because on the physical location of the pole is changing.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by masterShake122

Is it possible for the poles to switch from N/S to E/W, as to where the equator is now?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
I have a question for someone who might be knowledgeable in this area. Since the earth's axial is on a tilt and physical pole sift is occurring, but does that mean that the magnetic pole shift will also occur?? Wouldn't the magnetic pole still be bound to its original location because on the physical location of the pole is changing.

hey thats a good question, if you think about that, it would throw alot more things out of whack than just weird weather, which i think is not much different that times before

who knows

i wonder if anyone also knows the cycle niburu is to be visible to us

is it moving so fast that we may only visibly see it for a few days or weeks or years

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here is a great post and video about the pole shift.

The 2012 Doom Factor (The Pole Shift will wipe us out)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterShake122
If the poles do switch, scientists aren't sure if it will be a gradual or instantaneous process. If it happens instantly the world will be toast, but if it is a gradual switch we might be able to prepare for it. Either way if it happens it doesn't sound like we will live to see the outcome.

well isnt this what happened to the dinosaurs sure they were wiped out but not all life died it aint over till its over.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You are so right only dinosaurs died not the majority of lif it's self and i am not really scared about 2012 because everyone is made the same and plus if it does take a few years for the poles to change we can make a evacuation to one of jupitors moons it has water and so what if it's a moon and small atleast there sun and warmth sure it is far from the sun but it doesn't have a magnetic feild to make us cold so all we need is a few million trees, plants, wild life, animals, us humans, and ten trillion SHUTTLES!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

There is no physical pole shift occurring.

A magnetic pole shift may be starting - these occur on a regular basis - but if the magnetic poles reverse then all it likely means is a temporary period during which the aurora will be visible all other the Earth followed by our compasses pointing the other way. They may be an subsequent increase in cancer cases.

If a physical pole shift (other than polar wandering which takes place over millions of years) were to happen then simply put, along with all other life on Earth, we'd die. Very quickly.

top topics

join