It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing faith for marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
One thing that has puzzled me for a long time is the fact that people change their religion (or brand of religion) for the sake of getting married.

For example if I were to marry a Catholic or get married in a Catholic Church, I would be forced (or at very least strongly encouraged) to become a Catholic. Many weddings have even included a baptism ceremony but others insist on the baptism taking place before the day.

Pleas note: I use Catholics as an example only since it is the more common and widely known church where this happens. There are other faiths who do this.

My problem with this is if I have already been baptised it should not matter where and even more to the point, how seriously would a church take a person who is willing to jump ship on their own faith just for marriage and how serious is the person about their own beliefs in the first place?

Is this just a way to get numbers and increase membership? I am sure this is the reason the RCC has the highest following in the world. This to me is just another form of control over the people.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The answer is really quite simple really. The numbers in a brand or religion are not truly reflectent upon those that would perclaim themselves to be part of that religion.

Religion thusly is mostly a dummy parashoot. It's a security blanket being carted around by a child of 11. It is a suckings one's thumb at the age of 15. It has nothing to do with God or beliefs, it has more to do with the ghost fear that by not calling one's self by a seemingly perscribed family "religion" skema one will have to face hell or darkness.

But in the light of "idealisitic love" one throws caushion to the wind and perclaims themselve another religion for the time being it will take another's family perscrived religion to unite them in "holy" marriage.

then those that "changed" there religion go back to their old religion just about as active as they ever were in it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I think it's definitely all about control. If someone refuses to marry someone else who they otherwise would because they don't belong to a specific religion, then clearly that person is being controlled by said religion and probably to a lesser extent their parents. I really hate to see this sort of thing. It's like people who are otherwise rational just throw their minds out the window when it comes to religion.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is usually the man who converts to the faith of the woman. My grandfather converted to Catholic for my grandmother. He never went to church (he didn't before) but my grandmother was happy. My mother converted to the Catholic Church as she wasn't a churchgoer either (back then) so it didn't bother her. Most of the people who do the converting probably don't care.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think most people who convert for marriage are just doing it because it makes it easier for the religious spouse & family to accept them. Being drug around to church on Sundays and allowing their kids to be raised in a particular religion isn't that big of a deal for some people.

The "sacrament" of marriage can also be thought of as a tool to prevent the "corruption of the faithful". You can't be with the one you love unless you give up your sovereignty by allowing someone else to tell you that you're married. The church will also make you promise (via questionnaires) to raise your children in the church. Disagree and you can't marry. Go against this after marriage and your spouse can get an annulment easily.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sounds better than what happened to me.
I had my girlfriend join a church group that I was never invited to.
I showed up for her baptism and they tried to run me off.
They treated me like I was a heathen and told me I was not worthy to witness her being baptized.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
Most of the people who do the converting probably don't care.

There is half of the problem. How serious is the church if non beleivers simply do a couple of weeks worth of bible study and claim to be 'part of the church' and then think nothing of it.

The other half is those who 'change' thier religion. THe Church cannot honestly beleive those people have 'seen the light' espesially at a time when they are focused on wedding plans etc...

I know of a person who married into a different faith and the ceremony was in a different language to thiers and was baptised as part of the ceremony. The person involved was totally oblivious to what was going on and in fact spent the ceremony laughing at the 'strange' rituals. That to me is a big WHY BOTHER

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
For example if I were to marry a Catholic or get married in a Catholic Church, I would be forced (or at very least strongly encouraged) to become a Catholic.

That's not true at all.

The only thing that is required in a mixed marriage is that, for it to be recognized by the Church, is to have a priest either con-celebrate with the minister/rabbi of the other faith OR to have the marriage blessed by the church afterwards.

I use Catholics as an example only since it is the more common and widely known church where this happens.

Considering all the anti-Catholic threads and posts you make .. I don't believe you when you claim this is your motivation.

Is this just a way to get numbers and increase membership?

Since it isn't 'forced' then this question is irrelevant.

How about you chew on this - A family that prays together has a better chance to stay together. Or how about this - A family that worships together on Sunday is spending time together and it's good for the family to do this. Those are very good reasons for a family to all be of one faith.

I am sure this is the reason the RCC has the highest following in the world.

I am sure it isn't

You are DEAD WRONG about the Catholic church forcing, or strong arming, conversions. READ THE CATECHISM.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The only thing that is required in a mixed marriage is that, for it to be recognized by the Church, is to have a priest either con-celebrate with the minister/rabbi of the other faith OR to have the marriage blessed by the church afterwards.

I think the Church is concerned (this does not apply to only the Catholic Church) with whatever children result from the marriage.
There will be some sort of attempt to have the couple agree to raise up the future child in the church performing the marriage.

[edit on 11-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Considering all the anti-Catholic threads and posts you make .. I don't believe you when you claim this is your motivation.

Yes. It was my only motivation. Besides, my posts are just a good balance for all your Anti-NonCatholic posts....

I take it you have not visited my profile page. READ THE ....never mind

top topics

join