It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers get guidance on how to relay the lessons of Sept. 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
As chairman of the national 9/11 commission, former Gov. Thomas Kean has gone before the president, Congress and other powerful dignitaries with lessons of Sept. 11.

www.nj.com.../base/news-0/1214973442150410.xml&coll=1

Well people, the more we can reach at an early age of selling the Government version of 911 the better! (now we can brain wash the childern.)

We havent even got to the truth of this whole thing yet!
Now the Government wants to put a "Crafty" curriculum of the Government version of 911,

This is insane! I just found the link is not working so I am going to post the rest of the story in here.

You have an enormous responsibility," Kean told the group gathered at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City. "How to teach this terrible event and get across these things to our children, you are vested with that incredible responsibility. But if I have faith in anything, I have faith in teachers."

The setting was a conference kicking off a yearlong effort to develop curriculum and resources for teachers faced with a dual chal lenge of teaching the history and context of the terrorist attacks in communities that witnessed them.

And with about 100 educators in attendance yesterday, it was clear the hurdles don't stop there. There are rising demands on teachers throughout the year, scant resources in textbooks and elsewhere and even the timing difficulty of an niversaries that come only days after schools open.

"We need to be dealing with this in totality ... more than a simple commemoration," said Robert Barnshaw, a Gloucester Township teacher. "And in the pattern of the year, Sept. 11 is probably not the best time to be doing that."

To hear Kean and others speak, Sept. 11 could easily be its own course, although most agreed it's a topic better infused across different subjects and even into nurses' and counselors' offices.

"It's an event that's absolutely unique in the history of this coun try and needs to be treated as such," said Kean.

The former governor's national commission in 2004 penned a scathing report on the lead-up to the attacks, with widespread blame meted out for security lapses and policy failures. While mincing few words yesterday in sharing those lessons with teachers, Kean also implored them to tell students about the courage and action that arose from the attacks, from the heroism on Flight 93 to the activism of survivors' families.

"Tell the story in the classroom about those who suffered losses simply unimaginable, but also about what came out of that loss that was absolutely amazing," said Kean, a former teacher. "As part of 9/11, you have to tell that story."

The ultimate report will be modeled off New Jersey's successful Holocaust curriculum, which is not specifically mandated by the state but has provided background and lesson plans for teachers.

Most at the conference agreed there's a need for such guidance, but they also said the task of teaching the many facets of Sept. 11 will only begin there.

"It's not a cut-and-dry issue," said Vincent Soccodato, social studies supervisor in Woodbridge. "And not something that will be going away anytime soon."

[edit on 7/6/2008 by cashlink]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It would probably be a good idea to teach children the official story before they have a chance to research the event independantly, because after that, the official story doesn't work very well.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

I dont know, I think if they teach the official story then most kids will not want to learn anything more about 911.

It would be like, well I learn everything there is to know about 911 in school, and anything than what we have learn is a Conspiracie.

They dont want the childern to think for them selfs, once they do this through all the schools through the states it will be an understanding through the Country.

There will not be any research aloud.

How much you want to bet, the Government is already working on a book for all the Schools, that will be used to teach children about 911 (The Government version.)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I vote that the educational system teach kids critical thinking skills. And the difference between BIASED, SUBVERSIVE sources and CREDIBLE ones.

I think, as we proceed into the information age ALL people need to remember that just because you see a video of something, or read a website making wild claims doesn't make the video or the claims factual.

It is everyone's responsiblity to perform the BASIC due diligence in fact checking... Obtaining, evaluating, and understanding opposing viewpoints, and being aware of source biases, ulterior motives, and what the presenter of the information has to gain.

top topics

join