It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Public' online spaces don't carry speech, rights

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I dont think you understand. I do not want to see any censoring of the internet. It is a direct violation of the first amendment.

Isn't the first amendment american?
I'm canadian

I agree with you though.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by krestan

Originally posted by bakednutz
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I dont think you understand. I do not want to see any censoring of the internet. It is a direct violation of the first amendment.

Isn't the first amendment american?
I'm canadian

I agree with you though.

krestan brings up a good point... how does one go about deciding which laws to obey when a site is available to people around the world? IMHO most of these sites have the same rights as i would if someone was in my home. If they dont want to hear what you have to say (or if what you have to say is highly offensive) then they can put a stop to it. I applaud sites like ATS as they do allow great freedom in what is discussed, and they have good reasons (not that i think they need any) to block other discussions. Most sites are owned and that makes them someones property, much like someones store in the real world. I may have free speech but if i say the wrong thing in the wrong place then i will be kicked out, not as a violation of my rights, but as their right to not have me there.

My concern would be so called "news" sites. CBS, Fox, CNN, national and local newspapers... those types... they censor comments on their stories on their sites, i've even seen unpopular stories completely disable their comments section. 90% of what I see on ATS would be ripped off of those sites almost immediately.

Once again I applaud ATS, what happens here is most certainly not a norm and is increasingly the only way to truely debate some of these things...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, if this is anything to go by, we've got HUGE problems ahead. news.bbc.co.uk...

*** this! I'm on the next plane outta here!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

I think it should be able to the owners of a particualr website to determine the content of it. To me is not about freedom of speech, if you want freedom of speech in the net then open your own blog or website and fire away, if you come to a place like lets say ATS then you should obey the T&C, or any other content related stipulations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join