It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Removes Uranium From Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

US Removes Uranium From Iraq

www.military.com

July 06, 2008
Associated Press
The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program - a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium - reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Discuss, so what you think Saddam was going to do with the uranium if we hadn't invaded?

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Let's see:

What's now left is the final and complicated push to clean up the remaining radioactive debris at the former Tuwaitha nuclear complex about 12 miles south of Baghdad - using teams that include Iraqi experts recently trained in the Chernobyl fallout zone in Ukraine.

So, it was at a nuclear complex? One where "yellowcake" is used as nuclear power?

While yellowcake alone is not considered potent enough for a so-called "dirty bomb" - a conventional explosive that disperses radioactive material - it could stir widespread panic if incorporated in a blast. Yellowcake also can be enriched for use in reactors and, at higher levels, nuclear weapons using sophisticated equipment.

Please show that Saddam had this "sophisticated equipment" needed to enrich said uranium.

www.military.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You can buy Uranium ore on the internet. This is barely news and is only there to hopefully get the attention of all the people who will attribute this to weapons of mass destruction.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i'm sure there;s now a gov. contract up for bid to make du tipped bullets and bombs so we can drop them on the heads of terrorists,,, maybe we saved a penny thru this!!!!

wishful thinking i guess

man,,, my third reply today and i'm so terribly, angry and sarcastic!!!

haha ,,, i am shocked at myself

as you say---what a weirdo!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I was hoping it was going to say that DU rounds were to be not used there anymore.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

www.unitednuclear.com...

$60 buys you 5lb`s of uranium ore , so its not quite as shocking really

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And this stuff is being shipped to Canada no less.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The funny thing about this is that the plant that this yellowcake is supposedly going to be processed at is closed.

www.porthopehealthconcerns.com...

The plant at Port Hope, Ontario, across the lake from Rochester and down the shore from Toronto, first refined uranium for the Manhattan Project during World War II. It has been temporarily closed since July to remove contaminated soil.

A spokesman for Cameco, Lyle Krahn, said Wednesday that a computer model created for the cleanup, which is several months behind schedule, indicated that the radioactive and toxic materials have been polluting a harbor adjacent to the factory. The harbor leads directly to the lake.

So where is Cameco, the company that bought this yellowcake going to ship this?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well, it's taken the Americans 7 years to get it in there, might as well try and prove their existence in Iraq somehow!!!

Thought Fox would be singing from the pulpits - heavens above, we were justified!!

No, two Vietnams does make for one right Vietnam.

Breifne

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

My guess would be Blind River. It's not that far from Port Hope.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I read an article saying that Blind River didn't have the storage capacity for this presently. Although, I did see it late Sunday night so I may have misread. I'll try and find it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
from what my understanding was, the nuclear plant was one of the places that got looted(along with the local hospitals). the locals looted barrels that contained radioactive waste & was using them to contain food y water. greenpeace sopposedly went in and exchanged barrels with the people.i forget which doc i saw talked about this. american soldiers did nothing to stop this, as the oil fields seemed to be the only concern. the leftover du rounds issue is crazy. america went in with wmds

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I was under the impression that Blind River was the bigger facility, but with Port Hope closed, maybe they are running close to capacity?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
And this stuff is being shipped to Canada no less.

Why not send it here to Canada ?
We are the largest refiner of Uranium, though Australia has a quarter of the world supply.

I suspect most of it will end up supplying electricity to Canadian homes and businesses, but some of it will be refined for the American market.

We might make a bomb though, so look out world......

top topics

join