It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riding Your Bike in Detroit? Have Your License?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've had drivers swerve at me whilst riding my bike before.

For some reason, many drivers believe bikes have no right to be there... I was doing exactly as the police tell you to. I've never gotten in the way of other vehicles, and always followed the traffic laws. However, some drivers violently oppose bikes being used.

I'm thinking about mounting a camera on my helmet, and charging each and every driver that pulls stunts like that with attempted manslaughter.

I think I should be able to put at least one driver behind bars a week with that one, lol.

Anyone else ever experienced this bizarre behavior from motorists?

Where do they expect you to bike? The sidewalk? The cops will definitely get you for that one, especially if it's occupied.

As for this law in your state. What are the rules for children? I mean, are they going to have the right to fine a child on a trike? Whats the age requirement for these licenses?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
What I would like to see is the annual bicycle license fee raised to perhaps $10. per year per bike and 90% of the monies spent on either bike trails or paving a section just off the highway and placing armco barriers between highway and bike trail.

"You sir (assuming you're a sir & not a ma'am), would make an excellent politician (but a lousy public servant) in the way you want to tax/license people to exercise their Rights under the Constitution...Which is an Unlawful practice, BTW. You are already being taxed to make the roads & other "public facilities"...And even those taxes are lawfully required to come out of the privilege of conducting business (ie: profit or gain from conducting business ventures), not from normal individual earned wages."

Sir will do it.
But you can call me DD.

Lke you, I'm not too enthralled with politicians.
Although, if I did run for office, I'd tell the absolute truth.
Don't plan to do much other than hang out or drive my gov't supplied car with free gasoline around a lot.
Gotta do something to get through those long days.
I'd promise to hire only family and friends.
And I probably wouldn't be able to make most of the voting sessions.
If I don't do anything I won't be creating problems.
A reasonable legacy to leave behind.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty much what politicians do so nothing new there . . . except for the problems 'real' politicians leave behind.

"Tax, Tax & more Tax...Do you, by chance, have a job that depends upon taxpayer support to pay your wages/salaries? I can see no other reason for someone to violate Constitutionally-defined Rights for the purpose of collecting more "fees" for supporting & increasing the growth of the State or Federal Governments.
"

Seems like I stepped on your toe about the bicycle licensing bit.
If the money was used as noted, things would be better for riders in the end.

Negative on the gov't job.
Worked for a private utility operating high voltage bulk power electric systems.

I'm retired now, but would go back to riding a bicycle if my son-in-law ever brings it back.
Rode a mountain bike for many years although seldom off-road.

I have to admit, the free-ride was nice, but at the time I still thought bike owners should be paying their way....

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
God. all this reminds me of the Warrior Soul song "the wasteland",when they sand "detroit got stupid it was time to blow, I can't stand people when they play control.." and that was in 1991. To hell with this crap. so next Oct 30th we'll have cops looking for stolen bikes while the city burns like the old days.. wtv. pfft. I hate living near detroit, but I love Ann Arbor

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

always obey the rules of the road if your'e going to ride your bike IN the road.

There are two types of cyclists. The first kind is the proper sort, who wears their helmet, will pay the fee, and generally follows the rules of the road, though they do take some liberties or "chances" that they can get away with on a bike from time to time, like yielding for a stop sign. But this is usually done safely, and for obvious reason.

Then there are the sort who don't care about much at all, are ignorant, and are probably hoping to get hit. These are the sort who will ride against traffic, in a group of four or five, half in the road, at night on a dark stretch of road. I almost hit a guy the other day who decided to take a short cut through oncoming traffic as if I weren't even there. If I weren't worried about putting a dent in my car, I might not have pressed so hard on the brake.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ok. I live in Detroit and this law has NOTHING to do with finding stolen bikes. I seriously doubt that the city council is worried about bike theft because they sure as hell dont care too much about car theft or anything else. Its about money pure and simple.
The city had to pay out something like 7 million dollars I think to two cops who were suspended or fired from the police department for not going along with keeping there mouths shut over a rumored wild party at the mayors mansion.
The city is Strapped for cash! But to many people they aren't worried about paying a measly dollar to have a bike license. because it will help find a lost bike right? Please tell me how a sticker will protect my bike from getting stolen? Do you not think criminals will not peel these off if they steal your bike? and a 55 dollar ticket? cmon!
So they are going to have cops walking around enforcing this? Cops that could be solving crimes like what happened to two cars that got stolen from me? The type of people that go for this are the same type that will be first in line to get their chip implanted in there skin.
First they make it a positive thing (they will find your lost bike) and they make it cheap( only a dollar). I guarantee you it will not stay a dollar. next year it will be 10 because of all the extra cops needed to enforce this or whatever they want to say. But the news will put a positive spin on it as usual and people will bend over and take it like they usually do.
Its not the money it is the principal. when will they draw the line? this is ridiculous! Next there will be a jogging tax for your shoes.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

always obey the rules of the road if your'e going to ride your bike IN the road.

There are two types of cyclists. The first kind is the proper sort, who wears their helmet

Hate to break it to you, but helmets are optional in the US, though they're mandatory in Oz. So I don't think you can assume that proper=helmet wearing (though I do wear one to keep my head warm.
).

Also, isn't it a bit too black and white to pigeon-hole people into categories.

Back on the topic, it does sound to me like this law is just another way to get people on the books and create cash flow. However the upshot may be to turn people off to riding bikes. Shame.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Here in the UK i've had that exact thing. I was told by the police to get off the pavement, when i explained i ride on the pavement because motorists scream at me for riding on the road and literally aim there cars at me, the officer was kind enough to agree.

Drivers always seem to drive as close as possible to me, like they're trying to get close enough that the force of the air wil push me off the bike. Some love the hit their horn as they pass you, several times i've been hit with wing mirrors (at very low speed luckily). Basically some motorists seem to thnk the road is for cars only and i have no right to be there.

If the UK government ever tried to introduce a license for cyclists, i'd be voting against it and complaining all i could. It's a bike, with no engine, it causes no harm to roads or pathways and being forced to get alicense is rediculous. Others here have it right, soon you'll be required to get a license to walk on the pavement.

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

I have to admit, the free-ride was nice, but at the time I still thought bike owners should be paying their way....

Why though? Car owners here in the UK pay road tax because their cars cause damage to the roads and the money is used for upkeep. They pay heavy taxes on fuel as well.

A bike does not cause damage to roads because it's just not heavy enough, and they have no fuel other than their own bodies (it could be said they're paying taxes on that fuel as we pay some tax on food). So if the bikes are not causing any monetary costs to the country, then why exactly should they pay a license fee?

If you ask cyclists to pay a fee then you have to start charging people for walking on the pavement. It's the same thing, neither is causing damage to the road/pavement, both pay income tax already, so license pedestrians. Redicuous in my view.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

its another tax on the poor that cannot afford the cost of :a car or the gas/insurance/licence/safety inspection to run the car with.how many rich people pedal a bicycle ?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Well they want money Detroit wants to make money in any way they can.
They don't care about stolen bikes I agree with the person who said that because my cousin got his corvette stolen in detroit he reported it and the cops at the police station where lol and told my cousin what he expects them to do about his stolen car. So my cousin ended up buying a used car because he couldn't afford to buy a new one and that car that he had the one that got stolen was a brand new car from gm and now he is stuck with a crappy used car.

That was 2 years ago. Today he still didn't find that car. He is currently saving up to be able to buy a new car.
His insurance gave him a hassel on paying him to buy another car because he had theft insurance on his new car but the insurance refused to pay and he didn't have alot of money to take them to court so he decided to just buy a used car.

So to make things short Detroit dosen't care about your stolen stuff unless they have somthing in it for them.

I am just saying why are they doing this?? like I don't agree with this enforcement I mean I agree with the above statments it dosen't damage the road/sidewalk. Cars do.

I also had to write an essay in my highschool class about local problems and mine was about road conditions. Michigan is one of the worst states with bad paved roads.

I notice that you need a need material rather than asfalt. The road in the summer expands and in the winter it contracts. I done this like 2 years ago. My teacher thought I copied from a article or somthing she had no proof or anything she said it sounded like a college science report. I had to then redo it and then I picked global warming urgh... and was ticket off at my teacher.

After a year when I made that essay for my english class I then heard an article about michigan university developing new material for the road however it's too expenisve right now but trying to find ways to manufactor it.

it will prevent pot holes in the road.

So I am just saying the teachers hear are really really stupid. I am not in Detroit but in the suburbs around well north of Detroit.

Just saying that I see more ignorant stuff coming up. I also think it's ignorant to really think Detroit really cares about stolen bikes.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

Well said but they will say please do not confuse with with facts because our minds are made up. So pay for the license. Its getting out of hand.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
If you ask cyclists to pay a fee then you have to start charging people for walking on the pavement. It's the same thing, neither is causing damage to the road/pavement, both pay income tax already, so license pedestrians. Redicuous in my view.

Yeah, I agree that the line against arbitrary fees must be drawn somewhere & it'd better be before you wind up having to pay money just to leave your home...

After all, I have to confess that I've worn out a helluva lot more shoes than the city has worn out sidewalks that I've walked...

[edit on 7-7-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My local city now is discussing if they should do the same also. I am getting really ticked off.

Do you think this would caught on to be use this just the help with the buget??

also our Gov of the state of michigan passed some new regulation for Road regulations.

The speed limit will soon be 10 below what you see on the speed limit sign.

The signs will still read like 55 but in reality it would be 45 so you have to know this else you get a speeding ticket.

The excuse is that said said it will help save gas for you. Our GOV also uses a bike to get to work lol.

What do you think about this?? I think that new speed regulations is just so the cops can issue more tickets and make more money??

What do you guys think.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

This occurs everyday I ride… several times. You have to claim your portion of the road… especially at intersections. Drivers trying to make right turns in front of you, blowing through yield signs. Helmet cam? Heck no, I want rocket launcher.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hi, I just saw on the news a lady getting a 55 buck fine for not having a license. She paid the fine and was waiting at the office to apply for all 5 bikes for license for the bikes and she had a very hard time doing it so one whole day she spent trying to do this then called the local news station to do somthing. Which they done so and the lady got her license for all bikes.

Some people were asking what if you got the license of the bike from another city and the news asked the cheif of police and they said you still have to get a license in the city you plan on riding this is to protect people from getting their bike stolen.

many people are upset saying that Detroit is a city for the crooks.

Last year some kid put a sign on top of the sign that says welcome to detroit.

The sign the kid put up said " Welcome to Detroit We Hope Your Servive"

the cops took the sign down and was searching for the kid.

this was the sign that next to the expressway where a city has a welcome sign.

I never heard if the detroit police found who done it they just knew it was a teenager based on local witnesses.

I lol, I was like what a realistic sign lol.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It indeed sounds like a crazy ordiance to many. But trust me, when I lived in Detroit, when me and my sister had a bike, it usually got stolen within 3 weeks. Its ridiculous. Even the outskirts of detroit like warren and roseville. They steel bikes all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join